Hotspot/Router connections

Here is my situation.

I have wired security cameras on my 5th wheel camper. I use a Jetpack to connect to the internet. I would like to be able to view my cameras remotely however, they will not connect wirelessly, I need an ethernet connection.

I was told I could buy a wireless router that will connect to my jetpack that has an ethernet port to pig my cameras into. I am at a loss on where to find this. Has anybody else had a similar situation or do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Amanda 

I think there are probably a number of wireless routers that have ethernet ports. I know that the WIFI Ranger Routers do. They can connect wirelessly to your hotspot and also have the capability to tether a hotspot or phone that has that capability. I have tethered both a hotspot (MIFI) and my phone to their products and connect two computers by ethernet.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I use a Surf Pepwave SOHO router that can connect via a USB Aircard Modem, a WAN port, WiFi-As-WAN,  and 4 LAN ports.  I have multiple ways to connect to the Internet and the devices I have in the RV, server and DVR.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 4 weeks later...

A GL,,inet mini router might work for you if you can provide a USB port for the microUSB it uses for power.  The models run $18 and up on Amazon, just search for "GL inet mini router" and you will find the list.  The yellow GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 is $20, has Ethernet, and is the updated version of the one I have,   These do not have great range, but work.  The documentation is not the best.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

On 6/13/2018 at 6:48 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I use a Surf Pepwave SOHO router that can connect via a USB Aircard Modem, a WAN port, WiFi-As-WAN,  and 4 LAN ports.  I have multiple ways to connect to the Internet and the devices I have in the RV, server and DVR.

When you say "Aircard modem" do you mean like the Verizon USB cellular modem that would replace the Jetpack since my LAN routing is done in the Pepwave SOHO?

3 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

When you say "Aircard modem" do you mean like the Verizon USB cellular modem that would replace the Jetpack since my LAN routing is done in the Pepwave SOHO?

Depending on the model, the Pepwave may also support your existing Jetpack "tethered" via USB cable rather than buying a separate USB direct device.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I don't own either yet, Dutch. Deciding which to buy. There is so much conflicting information that I wanted to ask people here who actually use the stuff.

Just today I had a guy who works AT A VERIZON STORE tell me that the USB tether from the 7730 Jetpack was for charging only and not for passing data through to the cellular functions of the thing. Amazing. A Verizon employee said that! Since I will be doing my routing through the Pepwave I don't really need the sharing features of the Jetpack. At least I know which guy to avoid at the Verizon store.

My experience with an older jetpack was that the dongle would carry data but the transfer rate by WiFi was 10 times faster than the dongle cable.  The modem is designed to move traffic down the USB Cable.

And Jetpacks do not like constant charging up the USB cable.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

On 6/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I have this same unit and it works great.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

On 7/10/2018 at 4:03 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

My experience with an older jetpack was that the dongle would carry data but the transfer rate by WiFi was 10 times faster than the dongle cable.  The modem is designed to move traffic down the USB Cable.

The main bottleneck issue there is going to be the speed that data passes through a USB 2.0 port. 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:03 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

...Jetpacks do not like constant charging up the USB cable...

I did experience battery swelling from the constant charging. I read that some jetpacks would run with a USB connection without a battery and some others could be hacked to do so. The use of a cradle amplifier also seemed to decrease jetpack battery life/increase swelling due to the heat produced by the amplifier. The USB modems with an external antennae port were at one time a popular solution to this problem. The modem had no battery and the antennae could be placed in/near a cradle amplifier.

I am not sure that cell phones like constant charging from a USB either, but in my experience the speed when tethered to the router is consistently better than when connecting to the phone as a hotspot. 

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I've kept both jetpacks and phones on constant charge for years with no battery issues.  Never heard of a problem with such.  These are not nicad batteries we're dealing with.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

8 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I've kept both jetpacks and phones on constant charge for years with no battery issues.  Never heard of a problem with such.  These are not nicad batteries we're dealing with.

It depends on the charge circuits in the device and whether it turns off when charged of not.  I had a Pantech MiFi bulge two batteries.  Smartphones tend to have smart charging circuits, not all MiFis do.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

On 7/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

It depends on the charge circuits in the device

Glad that you changed your blanket statement about jetpacks to a more qualified one based on your limited experience with one specific product.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Something else that may not be exactly on topic but more of a general statement... As I read these comments about what works well and what doesn't, it's important that readers of those comments understand that they are being made by people who used different hardware and different carriers and got different results are reporting performance from different locations. There has to be some commonality for such reports to be valid. Some generic guy named Bob and this commenting guy named Eddie could be parked at the exact same place and one uses Sprint and the other uses Verizon, and one can report "This thing is AWFUL" while the other says "This thing is GREAT!!" All of these comments have to be taken with that consideration. Bob could be parked 93 miles from the nearest Sprint tower and Eddie could be 37 feet from the nearest Verizon tower. In that deliberately ridiculous example, the hardware involved has very little to do with the performance. Comparisons have to be apples to apples to have much value.

I wish I had a buck for every computer customer who called me and told me how much Dell sucks because THEIR computer isn't working well. And then I would go and clean off the virus infections, empty the 6 gig swap file, and remove all the bloatware, add 4 more gigs of RAM and the thing runs fine. Same kind of thing. I have 5 Dell computers here and the only problems I have ever had with any of them were user induced. So just because YOU had battery bloat doesn't mean HE will have battery bloat. Or because YOU see dropped connections doesn't mean HE is going to see dropped connections. Or whatever the malady might be.... Apples to apples.

On 7/9/2018 at 8:15 AM, Bill Joyce said:

A GL,,inet mini router might work for you if you can provide a USB port for the microUSB it uses for power.  The models run $18 and up on Amazon, just search for "GL inet mini router" and you will find the list.  The yellow GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 is $20, has Ethernet, and is the updated version of the one I have,   These do not have great range, but work.  The documentation is not the best.

2X on the yellow model.  Works great!

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Archived