Trailer TPMS not reaching cab

Brad NSW

Bought a new Bellacorp TPMS (see link) w/10 sensors TPMS System

Truck tires readout fine.  Trailer tires are not picked up in cab.  I bought this repeater. Repeater

Mounted it on the rear cab fairing about 4ft high.  Still no signal to the cab.

If I unhook and face truck toward the trailer...the trailer tires get signal to the monitor.

Anyone use this system or have similar problems?  If so, any recommended solutions?

Assuming cab metal is interfering with signal from trailer tires...

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

That was my question to them when I bought it.  He said yes it should work.  Also said I shouldn't need one but it seems to me I do.

After it hasn't worked, he hasn't called or e-mailed back.  I'll keep on trying on that.  Also posted a review on Amazon that said it didn't work with semi's, hoping he would contact me.

My big question is do semi's need repeaters?  If so, how high/where are you mounting them?

Thanks. SWharton.  With an MDT, assuming you have windows in the rear?  

Towing the toad triple?  Guessing the trailer blocked the signal for the toad but that's way back there.

Anyone with a  HDT with similar experience...interested in your trailer tire signal strength in the cab.

I have always needed a repeater. I put mine in the closet in the front of the 5er wired to the closet light. Do you have a light or something that tells you that it is wired correctly. The first TPMS that I had did not and I had it wired backwards on the first attempt. After I switched the wires it worked fine. My new system has a light to tell me it is correct.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad,

Thanks.

TPMS works fine for truck tires.  No trailer signal to cab unless I unhood and face the truck toward trailer, then they appear on monitor.

The repeater had a light that shows it's getting good power but it hasn't helped. 

I've got the repeater mounted outside on the trucks rear fairing right now.  Interesting you mounted it inside the closet of the 5er and it works....thanks for the feedback.  

So one HDT that needed a repeater so far...

With the MDT(4 door) and the 38' 5th we did not need a repeater.

With the 36'MH and a toad we did need the repeater.

I don't think there is a question about your needing a repeater, all the symptoms are there. You just need to find a repeater with the same frequency or return the Bellacorp and get a TST, TireTracker or  Pressure Pro.

We used an external antenna to get the right inner dual sensor to be received.  The cab on the Volvo, unlike almost all other brands, is steel.  I added the antenna when the optimum location for the receiver was in the drivers window.

When we added the toad behind the trailer, we didn't even test it,  We added a repeater in the living room closet near the rear of the trailer.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Brad,

I use the TST (Truck System Technology) system.  I needed a repeater and I mounted it in the drivers side truck cab storage compartment and it works great now.  I agree with above, sounds like the repeater is at fault.  I have to recommend TST as their customer service is excellent.  BTW my repeater looks exactly like your link.  Yours is 433.92 MHz.  Doesn’t say what frequency your sensors are transmitting on.  Of note the Amazon add says your “system does NOT need a repeater”.  Think I’d consider getting my money back with that kind of service and a system I couldn’t use.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Brad, 

Got to reading more.  The repeater you link is for a EEZ TPM system.  I would bet that each of the systems (TST, Bellacorp, PressurePro, etc) sensors transmit on a a discrete frequency otherwise any sensor should work with any system as long as you could program the monitor.  So your repeater probably only works with the EEZ.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have a Pressure Pro system. I use their external antenna and mounted it near the hitch. Being outside the truck it picks up the truck and trailer. I had issues without it when I had the old (shorter) trailer. Never tried it any other way with the new (longer) trailer.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Pin box as suggested is good spot on a fiver. There’s 12V in the junction box right there to tap off of. I leave mine powered all the time. 

For sure check it’s compatible. 

So many vehicles now have interference with the signals TST now recommend repeaters on all systems. Now the systems all come with repeaters included. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Awesome input everyone. Looks like almost all use a repeater.

Finally got a call from bellacorp. He said he'd send a repeater, no charge.  

As most of you said, it's probably the frequency of the repeater isn't compatible with his sensors.

SuiteSuccess, I had the TST with my Dodge and loved everything about them except that I had to return them ($$$)...to replace the batteries. 

These have easy to replace batteries.

Verdict is still out till we try the repeater he sends. Couple of weeks before I'm back home to test it out.

Thanks again for the replies.

I would only use a repeater by the vendor of the TPMS. 

The repeater for PressurePro doesn't just echo signals received buy receives and re-encodes them.  If I bothered, I could determine if a sensor's signal was received directly of via the repeater.  I would guess the other brand TPMSs do a similar thing.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Brad I just replaced my old Tire Traker with a TST 507 (I think) and it came with the repeater and the sensors have replaceable batteries. I didn't really realize how sketchy the old system was until I got the new one. Really like it.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have a "TireTracker" system and mounted the repeater in the front compartment of the 5er. When I was towing a smart4two behind the trailer I needed the repeater for the smart tires.

FYI 

TireTracker and TireMinder sensors are interchangeable.

ShortyO

10 hours ago, Brad NSW said:

Awesome input everyone. Looks like almost all use a repeater.

Finally got a call from bellacorp. He said he'd send a repeater, no charge.  

As most of you said, it's probably the frequency of the repeater isn't compatible with his sensors.

SuiteSuccess, I had the TST with my Dodge and loved everything about them except that I had to return them ($$$)...to replace the batteries. 

These have easy to replace batteries.

Verdict is still out till we try the repeater he sends. Couple of weeks before I'm back home to test it out.

Thanks again for the replies.

Brad,

My TST is actually a mix of the 507 and 510 with the trailer on the older 510 and the truck on the 507 (or vice versa). One has replaceable batteries and one you have to send back to replace.  Reason I mixed was I already had some 510 sensors that were only one year old and RandyA gave me several that were fairly new.  The replaceable batteries usually last only a year or two while I had some of the non-replaceable that lasted almost six years.  Until I found cheaper batteries in bulk on eBay my costs between replaceable and non were almost identical (I was buying from BatteriesPlus before).  Now replaceable is cheaper but better buy a tiny Phillips head screwdriver.😊

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Brad   Hope to put the 5er on the slab tomorrow. The work is finished. More detail in my Short Trip Post. I'll call you tomorrow. Don't let them work you to hard!   Pat

The Old Sailor

On 6/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, Big5er said:

I have a Pressure Pro system. I use their external antenna and mounted it near the hitch. Being outside the truck it picks up the truck and trailer. I had issues without it when I had the old (shorter) trailer. Never tried it any other way with the new (longer) trailer.

Same here, I mounted the PP external antenna under the rear frame of the truck where it gets a clear signal from all of the sensors.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

JPL,

Thanks for inviting me over while I was in Norfolk and showing me your set up and more importantly, your shop.  It is AWESOME!

Anyone in Norfolk who wants to see a great workshop/man cave/machine shop, drop Pat a line.

He's a very gracious host!

Brad

Archived