Sign in to follow this  
offroad

Waiting to 65 to retire - death risk versus finances

I liked my job too but realized that it was just a job with no real lasting effect that couldn't be done by whoever replaced me. I wanted to be able to spend my days doing things that I consider to be important, which is the reason we chose to live the RV volunteer lifestyle. Now that it has been 18 years since I retired, we still enjoy working at things that we believe to be important. I write this while sitting in the RV at our latest resident volunteer RV site. 🤗

36 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I liked my job too but realized that it was just a job with no real lasting effect that couldn't be done by whoever replaced me. I wanted to be able to spend my days doing things that I consider to be important, which is the reason we chose to live the RV volunteer lifestyle. Now that it has been 18 years since I retired, we still enjoy working at things that we believe to be important. I write this while sitting in the RV at our latest resident volunteer RV site. 🤗

"I liked my job too but realized that it was just a job with no real lasting effect that couldn't be done by whoever replaced me.

"We retired on a Friday and the next day the entire Air traffic control system did not miss a beat"

I like that. One of my promises to myself was that whatever I did would have absolutely nothing to do  with what I had done during my work career. I have driven a school bus,  been a over the road charter driver, been a cast member at Disney World, traveled over this great country. What's next we have no idea.None of those things paid much but they are adventures of our choosing.

"

My Dave still does a lot of software writing and computer consulting. Just now he doesn't get paid for it so he gets to chose what to do when. Currently he spends a lot of time working on model railroad signaling systems. He's back to thinking it's fun.

Linda

in one word.

money.

cash in and  cash out.   at 58 things keep happing that put my back into debt. just this month a $4000.usd repair bill for my truck. got some bills to pay off. and then income.  pension comes online at 65 for me. ( age + years, it's a union thing). and ss payout 100% at 67%. 

i should get somewhere between $3000. and $4000. usd a month (gross).   net ???.

i have worked hard all my life ( started at age 10) but had three years total off due to a crushed leg, neck surgery, cancer. when i retire i do not want to work again. would like to enjoy life at my pace. no worrys, about bills, or where i park my home.

so money drives it all. if i could be set up today for no money worrys. i would not go in work on thursday ( my monday).

I retired at 55 due to disability. I now receive 3 checks, 2 tax free and the other will not be taxed due to that is my only income. Two years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. We were in Mesa, Az and I have a fantastic oncologist. It is in remission but I have to take a cancer pill every day. I am more busy in retirement due to the grandkids that I ever was working. When you retire you had better hang on.