Starting Volvo after a year(s) of sitting!

kidder

Hi Everyone,

Long time no talk.  It is great to be back on the forums.   So many familiar faces :).   

About 2 years ago we decided to get off the road and build a new house.    So we used as our RV as our house while we built - it worked great.   But now we want to get everything back on the road and go see more of the world :).

Anyways, the Volvo has been sitting for quite sometime  - the last time I started it was over a year ago.   Up until that point - it would generally just right up after the batteries had been charged.  So there never was any issues.  It has always sat indoors and before we took it off the road we made sure we put diesel stabalizer into the tanks (the tanks were full).

This time, I charged the batteries, checked the oils and fluids and did a thorough once over the truck - went to start it and it turns over - but does NOT fire up.   It is almost like it has lost prime  ie. not getting fuel.   Is there a way to "prime" to truck or analyze why it would not be getting fuel?    Is there anything else I should do/watch on firing the truck after this long?

Thanks in advance.

Curt

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

There should be a primer knob on the filter housing.  Basically loosen the knob pump it up and down until it starts to get firm and tighten knob.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

3 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Thanks for this.  As it turns out there is a switch on the truck (near the steering wheel) that is a priming switch.  After re-reading the service manual - I also found the switch.

As outlined in the manual:

"To bleed the D12D engine simply press
or push the fuel priming activation switch
located on the right hand side of the steering
column, in the dash. This is a non-locking
switch, which when pressed, sends a signal
to the Vehicle ECU (VECU). The VECU
then transmits the request via a control data
link to the EECU. The EECU activates the
pump for approximately 4 minutes.
If you have problems starting the engine,
restart the bleeding procedure and try
restarting the engine again after bleeding
is complete. If the engine does not start
following this procedure contact your local
Volvo Truck dealer."

The challenge I have now is the switch will not actually engage.   I can press it down but it will not show an active light NOR do I hear anything happening on the truck.   I suspect the switch might be 'done' or there is some other gremlin.

Off to call Volvo to get a new switch and will start there!

Curt

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

@kidder

I posted the picture so others could see what the switch looks like. Hope you get it solved easily.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to bring this topic back to the top of the forum but I am still having an issue.   

After trying to get the truck to prime by following the instructions (in the manual) by using the switch .... the switch would not actually 'engage' ie. the engage light would not come on when I turned the switch on.   So I thought maybe the switch was dead - as I had never used it before and when I purchased the truck - never checked to see if it worked in the first place.   So I purchased a new switch and tried again  .... but with the same result ie. the light on the switch wouldn't come on nor would the truck start after following the instructions.

I have looked at all the fuses on the various fuse panels to see if the switch was potentially fused some where along the way but none mentioned anything to do with this switch.

So looking for ideas?

The truck has been parked in one of our buildings for the last few years and having to get someone in to pull it out to take it Volvo to them to try and diagnose would probably cost me more then the truck is worth!  :(.

Anyways, open to any suggestion someone might have.   Can the truck be primed manually?

Thanks in Advance.

Curt

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

It can be primed manually, theres a knob on the top of your filter housing, unscrew it and pump it, theres also a bleed screw on the side, if you take it out and pump it manually till fuel comes out, put it back in, tighten the pump and try to start, it will probably still take a little bit to get it going as it has to get fuel to the injectors

1807149847_ttt(2).jpg.6cff49f1b120fc5a137a9080c3c97236.jpg

2004 Volvo VNL 780

2017 Momentum 376TH

2007 Harley Davidson FLHTC

2009 Smart4two

Sometimes after I change filters or a driver runs out of fuel I have had to pressurize the fuel tank. It don't take much. You will need a couple friends to help. Put an air blower on a air hose and you need a heavy rag. Like a towel. Take the fuel cap off. Put the tip of the air blower in and cover with the towel tightly. Give it blast of air while someone turns the key. Works better yet if you can have someone pumping the primer all at the same time. It may take a few tries but this has never failed me.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

The only time I had to change a fuel filter I held the dash button manually for 4 minutes (I think). But I do remember having to hold the button the entire time.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

2 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

The only time I had to change a fuel filter I held the dash button manually for 4 minutes (I think). But I do remember having to hold the button the entire time.

Brad,  did the light on the button engage (come on?) and could you hear anything happening?  

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

I don't remember a light and I could not hear anything. I was just told that I had to hold the button for 4 minutes. The truck spit and sputtered and then started. I know that the switch did not stay in the engaged position so it had to be held.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

On 6/28/2018 at 4:30 AM, Quickthrotl said:

Found a pic for you, the knurled knob is the pump, the allen  head to the left facing out is the screw you take out to allow the air out of the system

5bYb1qcl.jpg

Thanks Quick - unfortunately mine does NOT have the knurled nob like the picture you posted.   :(

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

10 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

I don't remember a light and I could not hear anything. I was just told that I had to hold the button for 4 minutes. The truck spit and sputtered and then started. I know that the switch did not stay in the engaged position so it had to be held.

Brad

Thanks Brad.   I tried holding it for 4 minutes 3 times and still no joy - the truck just turns over but won't fire up :(.

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

On 6/28/2018 at 5:49 AM, jenandjon said:

Sometimes after I change filters or a driver runs out of fuel I have had to pressurize the fuel tank. It don't take much. You will need a couple friends to help. Put an air blower on a air hose and you need a heavy rag. Like a towel. Take the fuel cap off. Put the tip of the air blower in and cover with the towel tightly. Give it blast of air while someone turns the key. Works better yet if you can have someone pumping the primer all at the same time. It may take a few tries but this has never failed me.

Thanks JenandJon ... this is the next on my list of things to try.

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

• 3 weeks later...

You could give a small shot of the dreaded starting fluid and see if it fires. I had to do that once when I had bad injectors leaking and would not hold the prime.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

If you do the ether trick, make sure you continue to crank the engine until the ether is completely dissipated or you could get one of those dreaded blowback belches that, no kidding, could damage your engine. 

Or you

Or your truck

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Is this prime switch for Volvo engine? My Cummins 11 doesn't seem to have one at the dash. My truck had sat for a long time. More than a year at various time. 2011 to 2017. She was easy to start once the batteries replaced. Hope it is started by now.

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

Archived