Getting cash while on the road

I rarely use cash at home but seem to go through quite a bit when traveling.  Forest service and BLM campgrounds typically require cash for the self pay stations.  We also typically use another wad of cash on Indian reservations buying jewelry or pottery.  Even the main trading post we visit will give a good cash discount.  I try to anticipate the amount of cash we will spend and start each trip with the estimated amount in small bills. 

Even though JP Morgan was a scumbag robber baron, our main bank is Chase.  There are few branches in the West so years ago I opened a Wells Fargo account.  I have never had any issues with their upselling and there are WF branches in almost every small town out West.  When I need cash, I do not fool around with getting $50 or $100 from Walmart or another store.  I will stop at a WF branch and get $500 - $1000 in cash.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put us in the Walmart group.  When we need to back up our cash reserve we each go through a separate check-out lane and get $100 each added cash from our debit cards.  

What we have found is that there are more Walmarts than ATM's that let us get cash without a charge.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

OK. I am getting confused about Walmart. I thought you couldn't get cash back unless you used a debit card(at least years ago).  We always use the self-checkout and Walmart Pay which we have going to a credit card. I don't recall seeing an option on the screen for getting cash back. We don't carry any debit cards with us unless we need cash from an ATM and then we get $500-$1000.

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

OK. I am getting confused about Walmart. I thought you couldn't get cash back unless you used a debit card(at least years ago).  We always use the self-checkout and Walmart Pay which we have going to a credit card. I don't recall seeing an option on the screen for getting cash back. We don't carry any debit cards with us unless we need cash from an ATM and then we get $500-$1000.

We use a credit card at Walmart and get cash back, but we don't ever use the self checkout. Maybe self checkout is different than using the cashier?????

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

4 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Maybe. I thought(this is years old thinking) that if you used a credit card it was actually a "loan" and they would charge you interest.  Not true any longer?

I think the world has passed me by a bit.

We're never charged interest. We pay the entire bill each month, so if that's what you do, I'm assuming you're ok. Maybe it depends on the cc. We use Discover.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

I use the bank of Walmart on occassion. It's been a long time since I did that via a self check-out, but at one time it was possible to do cash back on those machines. However, I use a debit card when I do. I could be wrong,  but my thought with using a credit card was that they might consider it a "cash advance" which might incure a cash advance fee(?). It "may" just process through as a total "purchase"(?)

Dunno. I just figured better safe than sorry and, worst case, I'm only loosing a cash back reward anyway.

It may be apples and oranges, but sending a moneygram through Walmart from online and funding with a visa is considered a cash advance and CC fees do apply.

I "believe" it may depend on how the charge is actually "classed/billed" by the merchant initiating the charge.

Ie., from experience I know that making a foreign transaction directly via CC will cost me a 1.2% foreign transaction fee and I don't get a cash back bonus. Making the same purchase via PayPal... funded by the same CC... it is simply billed as a domestic purchase to my card. No foreign transaction fees and I still get my 2% cash back.

12 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

Discover is one of the few cards that doesnt charge a cash withdrawal as a cash advance, rather it counts it as a purchase, so you have the 30 day grace period to pay it back.

That is not my understanding. I think you might be referring, in part, to their surcharge-free ATM's... or possibly part of a new cardmember limited time perk?

My Discover card has a cash advance APR and fee.

From Discover:

"You will not be charged an ATM surcharge when you withdraw cash with your Discover debit card at the surcharge-free ATMs represented by orange map pins. If you take a cash advance with your Discover credit card at one of these locations, you will not be charged an ATM surcharge fee but your cash advance APR and cash advance fee will apply. ATM surcharge fees may apply to cash withdrawals at other ATMs not designated "Surcharge-Free.""

Sorry I didnt clarify, it has to be in addition to a purchase at a qualified store, like you would do with a debit card at a grocery store.  I looked it up, they call the program Cash Over:  https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

I love my Discover card, it was my first one at the ripe age of 17.  Now it battles for points and rewards with my 13 other cards, almost forgot about this Cash Over program until it was mentioned here again!

50 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

14 cards?!? Daaayyaaam!!! That'd be like sitting' on a brick!

Haha I usually only keep the flavor of the month on me (the one offering the best points) plus my Costco card.  The rest are at home and in my Samsung Pay acct on my phone.  I dont cancel them because I prefer to have a high revolving credit amount to help my credit score.  But usually only one or two cards have an actual balance at any given time.

We've banked with USAA for years. Not only do they have excellent customer service and great rates for a variety of products, but because they only have locations in TX (mostly near San Antonio, where the HQ is), they refund ALL ATM charges. 

I  need to remember the grocery store cash back tip, though, as I do worry about skimmers somewhat. 

BizCard.JPG

On 6/12/2018 at 4:05 PM, sandsys said:

They also take checks. Anyone remember those?

Lots of Passport America parks want cash or check and in such cases, we usually pay by check. 

On 6/12/2018 at 1:18 PM, SWharton said:

Good to know in an emergency about being able to use the cc. We pay in full each month also so it may be OK. Don't plan to test it unless needed.

Most credit cards do have some sort of charge for a "cash advance" as they call it. I just looked at one of mine to make sure as we used debit cards for cash back. It would be very nice if my primary card would advance cash with no fee since they also refund me 2% of everything on the bill! 

On 6/12/2018 at 5:42 PM, dartmouth01 said:

Now it battles for points and rewards with my 13 other cards.............. ,I dont cancel them because I prefer to have a high revolving credit amount to help my credit score.

Interesting reasoning. It doesn't fit with my experience, but perhaps theories have changed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We learned early on when we went on the road that getting cash was the easiest part of it. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

One of our biggest expenses while being full time is gasoline and diesel.  It rates right up there on average each month with CG fees, depending on the month.

We only use our debit card usually at Walmart of similar grocery stores, in part so we can use the cash back feature.  For every other purchase that we can we use our Good Sams credit card.  We pay at the end of the month and always use our points for Shell gas cards.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Cash??? What is cash used for??? 😀

Really, we put just about everything on our credit cards which gives us 5% back on gas, 3% on dinning and travel, 1% on everything else.  We pay the full balance off every month.

We do get some cash from the ATM or debit card in Walmart, etc.  Usually a $100 or $160 and that lasts a month or two. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 6/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, pharvey said:

We have been on the road since September and have been using the cash from the yard sale.  What is the easiest way to get cash while on the road?  The 2 credit cards we use don't have a cash back option, banks won't cash a check if not drawn on their bank.  We received a debit card from the bank in Livingston when we opened an account there, I have used it a few times, but I don't like using debit cards.  When I use the debit card at an ATM, I get a charge.  Any suggestions?

This topic may have been asked and answered, but I couldn't find a thread. 

You have gotten a bunch of good responses. Did this answer your question?

The only time I don't use my debit card is when ordering online or when traveling in Canada. The reason is if in Canada you use the debit card it pays with US dollars straight across. This is great for them not so good for you. When I use a credit card it pays the retailer in Canadian dollars but bills your account at the discount/exchange rate. $100.00 Ca = $76.00 US. I haven't looked at the exchange rate today but that is pretty close. 🤩

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Al F said:

Cash??? What is cash used for??? 😀

Really, we put just about everything on our credit cards which gives us 5% back on gas, 3% on dinning and travel, 1% on everything else.  We pay the full balance off every month.

We do get some cash from the ATM or debit card in Walmart, etc.  Usually a $100 or $160 and that lasts a month or two. 

When we had the sticknbrick I didn't hesitate on using my debit card.  Stopping in Lowes for a $12.00 purchase, the store for a $6.00 item, quick lunch at SteaknShake, etc.  However, being full time and moving around constantly we are not comfortable exposing our debit card to dozens of vendors in numerous states, so for many small purchases we simply use cash.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Archived