Getting cash while on the road

We have been on the road since September and have been using the cash from the yard sale.  What is the easiest way to get cash while on the road?  The 2 credit cards we use don't have a cash back option, banks won't cash a check if not drawn on their bank.  We received a debit card from the bank in Livingston when we opened an account there, I have used it a few times, but I don't like using debit cards.  When I use the debit card at an ATM, I get a charge.  Any suggestions?

This topic may have been asked and answered, but I couldn't find a thread. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay the small charge to get the cash. Thats how it's done unless you have a national bank like Wells Fargo or BOA and go to one of their branches.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

What bank are you using? The only other thing I can think of is visiting a bank branch and withdrawing cash. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We opened an account at the First National Bank of Livingston when we set up our domicile.  We also have an account with TD bank, but there aren't many branches, I guess.  The credit cards are from Capital One and BOA.

We rarely use this method, but we have a credit union account and the debit card from them also.  This card has the option of using any credit union ATM within the system they are part of, which is most national and local credit unions, and any banking function, including getting cash, can be done at any credit union ATM, with no charge.  I also will get cash back when at a grocery store when using the debit card, which extends the time between visits to a bank.

What sort of debit card do they use? MY credit union uses a debit card on the Allpoint system. There are (supposedly) 55,000 surcharge free atm's worldwide.

EDIT: Becky beat me to it.
Becky, most CVS and Walgreens drug stores are on the Allpoint system too, if that is what your CU uses. They are easier to find than a CU sometimes...plus Allpoint has a phone app that will show all the ones near you.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Don't know how much cash you need.We have little cash on us at any time and use credit or debit cards for most transactions. You can get cash most anywhere. Wall mart , most any store have a cash back option.It has never been a problem for us.Pay the credit card off at the end of each month and there is no finance charge

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I bought most of my groceries at Super Walmarts using a debit card. They would let me have up to $100 cash back each trip. Among RVers this is known as using the Bank of Walmart. :)

Since we pay off all debit and credit card charges each month we paid no extra fees to do this. But our debit card lets us use most ATMs without a fee so this method may or may not work for you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We stopped using atm's some years ago, even though our bank does refund any atm charges for cash withdrawals. We get cash at either Walmart or any major grocery chain store. Like others have mentioned, we don't use much cash as we have two credit cards that refund 2% of all charges and we pay those off in full every month. It took me a long time to feel comfortable charging groceries to a credit card, but now we only use cash when there is no choice or some benefit to doing so. It is surprising just how much we get back from credit cards over the course of a year. We often go more than a month between cash withdrawals. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Like Linda and Kirk said.  Bank of Walmart.  Of course you do have to purchase something.  Like I did today.  Needed cash for a border crossing, and it was an excuse to stop and get a DDP.  I like the debit card for that stuff.  Don't have to remember to pay anything off.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Our credit union, Alliant, gave us a credit card and a debit card. We use the debit card only to get cash, any ATM. If we use an ATM not part of our system(Allpoint) the fee is reimbursed. When we do get cash we get $500-$1000 at a time(depends where we are going) and put the money in our safe. We charge everything and that amount of cash lasts 6-12 months. We find cash is becoming less and less of a commodity.

You might want to switch to a different bank or credit union. The bank you selected doesn't seem to be in the new world.

3 hours ago, pharvey said:

We have been on the road since September and have been using the cash from the yard sale.  What is the easiest way to get cash while on the road?  The 2 credit cards we use don't have a cash back option, banks won't cash a check if not drawn on their bank.  We received a debit card from the bank in Livingston when we opened an account there, I have used it a few times, but I don't like using debit cards.  When I use the debit card at an ATM, I get a charge.  Any suggestions?

This topic may have been asked and answered, but I couldn't find a thread. 

Wal-Mart stores allow a maximum "cash back"  of $100.00 on a debit card purchase. A "pack of gum" is a purchase!  You can repeat this activity each time you make a purchase.

We use our credit union, they are in what's called shared branch system. I can look ahead to see what's available in the area we will be in then just walk in and use as if we are a member there, as Big5 pointed out cu are always not available so other methods mentioned would need to be used as well.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

as dblr indicated, all credit unions belong to CUNA (Credit Union Nation Association) and as such, treat any credit union member as a member at any credit union.  We have used that method to get an amount of cash that would have tilted the max draw on ATMs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I use direct deposit of SS and Pension. I have a Bank of America. They are closing branches, and charging excess for ATM, except their machines. I have Credit Union, they started charging for every ATM transaction, and have very limited branch offices. I have Ally Bank, ATM fees refunded up to $10 month. Any ATM, any place I find one. But no branch offices. Highest interest on savings accounts, up to six free overdraft transfers for each savings accounts into checking/ATM. Easy to open multiple savings accounts or checking accounts. This makes it easy to track given expenses.  I am a dinosaur in many ways, but have no problem using ATMs or manipulating Credit Cards to maximize Cash Back.

Like said many places give cash back with purchases. We just write a checks at Walmart to get extra cash. My bank is FSB Livingston and my wife uses a CU Banking, never a problem as long the communication systems are working. Also the kids can provide a Cash source. The only problem is the large source of cash to buy something on Craigs List.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We use Wells Fargo. Readily available except on Oklahoma. We pull cash out as needed every pay day (3 per month). I am getting away from debit transactions due to the large number of skimmers out there, and going to all cash. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

42 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

We use Wells Fargo. Readily available except on Oklahoma. We pull cash out as needed every pay day (3 per month). I am getting away from debit transactions due to the large number of skimmers out there, and going to all cash. 

If I used Wells Fargo, I would have happily done the work to leave the bank after their thing of cheating their customers with adding stuff to accounts the customers didn't ask for.  Yes it would have been a pain to change direct deposits, credit cards, check books, etc.  If I had a loan with them then I probably would have stayed until the loan was paid off.

It is difficult for me to understand why consumers would stay with a bank, or any company which would treat their customers the way Wells Fargo did.

There are almost always alternatives.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Buy groceries with your debit card and you will have the option to get cash back.  At Walmart I think it is up to $100 at a time and there is not charge.    Some places like Dollar General and Family Dollar do charge, but grocery stores don't.    

Pat DeJong

Credit Union all the way (and Chase as a 2nd account).  Our credit union belongs to the Co-Op network, which has alot of ATMs around the country that don't charge fees (there is an app to find them).  Also, you can do shared branch banking with participating credit unions, where I can deposit and withdraw from the counter just like at my own credit union.

Walmart & most big K gas stations will give you $100 back off of your credit card  with no charge to do so . most of the major grocery stores will do the same .  We are a member of the navy federal credit union which also has many places you can get cash back from that.  Other than that,  The debit card works everywhere . 

Bill & Jean O'Dell with Lucy

2014 Tiffin Phaeton QBH

2018 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 

We use the "Bank of Walmart" and other stores for cash back on our debit card purchases. We can get $200 per visit at Walmart if needed by splitting our purchases between my wife and I.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We also use Bank of Walmart. In our case our bank has a deal where we need to jump through various hoops to get a bit of interest. One of those hoops is using the debit card at least 10 times in a month. We put cash in the offering plate each Sunday, so we usually get cash each week, which takes care of four debit card uses each month.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived