2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

OregonJim,

If you are worried about domicile in connection with wills or probate, there are legal ways to make sure that isn't a problem.   Not sure what "jurisdiction of authority" you are worried about - could you please explain that one.   

A lot of people seem to be chasing the "I need an exact definition that is good in all jurisdictions" and never explain why.  More often than not it appears to be tilting at a windmill.  

Jurisdiction of authority meaning which state's law(s) are interpreted when involved in any legal matter while travelling.  

Wanting to be forearmed with knowledge before investing in a potentially costly venture is not "tilting at windmills".

53 minutes ago, OregonJim said:

Jurisdiction of authority meaning which state's law(s) are interpreted when involved in any legal matter while travelling.  

Wanting to be forearmed with knowledge before investing in a potentially costly venture is not "tilting at windmills".

10s of thousands of fulltimers have been doing this for decades.   Problems that people have had have generally revolved around states with income tax wanting to still claim someone after they have 'moved', laws governing common law marriages, wills/probate issues, and voting.  Most of these have been worked out either by the person(couple) choosing a different state for their domicile, or a group working to get things changed (as in voting for Escapee members).  So, if you think there might be a particular problem, ask the question - you might be surprised that it has already been researched and solved by others.  

20 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Joe,

One of the reasons that mail forwarding services can be so helpful is that they are often located in smaller communities where local officials come to understand that a segment of their population will never actually be in town, but will instead keep people in that town working.  That is important for things like voting and jury duty, buying a new vehicle out-of-state and getting it registered, etc.    

So I guess I am confused.  A mail forwarding service is a business.  They are in business to make money just like any business that want to keep their doors open.  I hate to break this to you, but your "friends" at the mail service are making money off you.   So if you claim your domicile and home address is some mail service in a small SD town you are doing a good thing because you are helping people in that town feed their families?  

How is having a mail service better for voting, jury duty, and buying/registering a new vehicle out of state?  

9 hours ago, OregonJim said:

At any given moment in time, you need to deal with the laws of the state you are presently in and the one where the issue is rooted. For example, if you are thinking of a will, the state your will was written in & one where the willed property is located. Your driving related issues fall between your location and your state of registration and licensing. While challenges of domicile are rare, they can be very complicated if they should happen. That is the reason that so many experts advise one to move as much as reasonably possible to the place you intend to use as your domicile. A visitor does not normally have issues over domicile with a state they are visiting unless they stay beyond some period of time spelled out by that state's laws (typically 6 mo.) or if they accept employment in a permanent position within that governmental jurisdiction. Even then the issue isn't usually heavily enforced unless there is some reason that the local area has problems with their laws being ignored. 

I think that you are over-thinking this entire issue if you plan to be a fulltimer and move around. Don't let those who wish to argue over small details make this more difficult than it needs to be. I have participated in various parts of the full-time RV community by observation of friends, by internet forums, by reading magazines, by living the life, and several other ways since we first learned about the lifestyle back in the early 80's. In all of those years, I have only had contact with two people who ever experienced domicile issues. I also did a great deal of research about the question in an effort to write an article on domicile for Escapee Magazine about 10 years ago and found fewer than a dozen court cases. Just follow the advice of articles like The Ten Commandments of Texas Domicile, and then relax and enjoy your experience. There is much greater risk that you will be hit by a truck while going to the grocery store than that you will have a  domicile related problem if you take even minimal steps to establish your new one. 

Edited by Kirk W

Can folks please take the domicile/residence discussion over to one of the Fulltiming boards?  This topic has lost focus on the pre-Medicare age medical insurance issue that is the subject of the original post and initial discussion.

Thanks

13 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Any account we have is paperless and/or auto pay.  Any piece of mail that is "unknown" we have her open it. 

You're assuming that every piece of mail that is sent to you gets put into your "informed delivery" list, and will show up as either a scan of the envelope or a message that no scan is available.  I haven't ever tried to match up everything that was actually delivered to a corresponding notice in my informed delivery list, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if things slip through.

So there could be a piece of mail that you don't know about, but your friend would assume you saw it in your informed delivery list and don't want her to open it.  So you don't know it's there and she doesn't open it, and that could be a problem if it's something important.

That's why I wouldn't trust it completely.  In my case, I have my friend keep everything and forward everything every few months, so I eventually do see everything that comes, just as a failsafe.  But I have a subscription to a weekly magazine, so there's always something to send (in a heavy flat-rate box), and the few pieces of mail come along for the ride.

We can absolutely see what mail she is getting.  So can the 12 or 15 other people that have handled that envelope before it gets to her mailbox.  We don't pay any attention to it if our names are not on it.  We have known her for over 40 years, she was our neighbor when we were raising all our kids.  There is nothing that would come in our mail that I would want to keep secret or be ashamed of and I'm sure she is the same way.  

That's fine.  But I think it's something that should be divulged to whoever's doing your mail.  They may not care, but I don't think it'll ever be the case that they wouldn't want to have a heads-up about it when discussing the arrangement. 

8 hours ago, mkc said:

Can folks please take the domicile/residence discussion over to one of the Fulltiming boards?  This topic has lost focus on the pre-Medicare age medical insurance issue that is the subject of the original post and initial discussion.

Thanks

Here are good detailed posts on ACA insurance for full-timers by this blogger. She also did more the past year so do a search on her blog.  They recently 'moved' to France for a while but she is still trying to help RVers with this issue.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=aca+medical+insurance

20 hours ago, Blues said:

You're assuming that every piece of mail that is sent to you gets put into your "informed delivery" list, and will show up as either a scan of the envelope or a message that no scan is available.  I haven't ever tried to match up everything that was actually delivered to a corresponding notice in my informed delivery list, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if things slip through.

So there could be a piece of mail that you don't know about, but your friend would assume you saw it in your informed delivery list and don't want her to open it.  So you don't know it's there and she doesn't open it, and that could be a problem if it's something important.

That's why I wouldn't trust it completely.  In my case, I have my friend keep everything and forward everything every few months, so I eventually do see everything that comes, just as a failsafe.  But I have a subscription to a weekly magazine, so there's always something to send (in a heavy flat-rate box), and the few pieces of mail come along for the ride.

That's fine.  But I think it's something that should be divulged to whoever's doing your mail.  They may not care, but I don't think it'll ever be the case that they wouldn't want to have a heads-up about it when discussing the arrangement. 

Guess I didn't go into enough specific detail.  Of course we have her forward a bulk package to us every so often.  There are certain things during the year that only come in the mail that we want to receive, for example a couple different membership packets to different organizations, some mags, etc.   Probably the longest we have gone without having her send us a package has been 6 weeks this year.  

We have had informed delivery for some time now so we are aware that everything does not show up on scan.  Also, some things may show up and then not be delivered until the next day.

On 11/11/2018 at 7:07 AM, FL-JOE said:

We have had informed delivery for some time now so we are aware that everything does not show up on scan.  Also, some things may show up and then not be delivered until the next day.

But what you said was, "The USPS now has a free option you can sign up for where you can go online and view what pieces of mail will be delivered to your home each and every day."  I was pointing out, and you apparently agree, that you can't actually view what pieces of mail will be delivered each and every day because not everything gets a scan.

And you might think, "Of course it's not perfect."  But it happens often enough that they have a special email that they send you telling you something got scanned but they don't have an image to show you, and of course there's no way to know if a piece just slipped through entirely.

In fact, a piece that didn't show up in my Informed Delivery account was from Blue Cross about 2019 coverage.  What I don't know is if it was one of the ones that I got an email that said it didn't get scanned, or if it just slipped through unnoticed.  Either way, if I were relying on Informed Delivery, I wouldn't know it had come.

It's kind of like telling a friend that you'll be able to see his mail the same as you see yours, if he lets you use his address.  Best to divulge it so there are no surprises.  And best to let people know that Informed Delivery can't be relied upon.  Then let everybody make their own informed decisions.