Grand Adventure

weBoost Drive 4G-X RV cell signal booster test, review & installation

23 hours ago, jcussen said:

Maybe things have changed in the last 5 years or so when I first got my ATT unlimited plan and later my mobley plan. But back then, McDonalds, many rv parks,  and other "free wifi" spots were only good for email's or simple google searches, not for sending big files or any type of streaming.

I figure that if the downstream is fast enough to see TV, and thus far in my testing of random free wifi it has been, then the upstream should handle file transfers. I have a spreadsheet here somewhere that I logged in the transfer speeds at about 2 dozen places i tested. They are all very close. I have done McDonald's, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Costco, various car dealerships and tire shops. I parked across from a Goodyear store and watched an inning of a baseball game on my Chromebook with no pixelation at all. However, I am also considering that I am in a city of 200,000 with a lot of businesses that provide wifi for customers. When  I am in Gator Bait Florida or Corn Boil Iowa I imagine wifi sources will be far fewer. And that kind of Americana is exactly what I want to see. Plan is to sightsee, take pics and vids, and upload them when I get to solid wifi. My normal monthly data use, while still in my house, is like 40 megs at most. Sitting here with 120 mbps down internet, I have no use for data. I will never get an email so important that I have to see it NOW so I leave my data off when I drive. Mileage may vary though for everyone.

Edited by eddie1261