crossing into Canada - the Good and the Bad

fly2low

Crossed into Canada today, on the way to Alaska.  

First, the Bad.   I have been using a Garmin RV GPS for several years.  There have been times when the GPS made a suggestion on routing, and I "knew better" and went a different way.  Sometimes I was right, sometimes not - and usually painfully so.  This morning, the GPS directed me to take the truck route through the Sumas crossing.  I followed the directions, but did not feel good about it.  This time I would have been correct.  RVs do not belong in the truck line, even if it is a Class C built on a Freightliner chassis.  The agent had great fun at my expense.

The Good.  If you take a shotgun into the country, they are so fixated on it, and any other potential weapon you might have, that they forget about everything else.  This was my first time bringing a gun into Canada, so I had made several calls to their agency ahead of the event to ensure this weapon would pass muster, and filled out the forms in triplicate on legal paper.  Much to my surprise, I had done that correctly

All in all, everything worked out well

Rich and Carol

2007 Dynamax DQ 340 XL

• 3 weeks later...

I unwittingly entered the truck lane, only at the Niagara Falls crossing entering the U.S.A. The guard was not pleased with my decision, as he had to come down from his high window to inspect our paperwork. (we had a dually N 5er then) Lesson learned_.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I unwittingly entered the truck lane, only at the Niagara Falls crossing entering the U.S.A. The guard was not pleased with my decision, as he had to come down from his high window to inspect our paperwork. (we had a dually N 5er then) Lesson learned_.

Yea, not fun pulling up in the auto lane.  Seems like only about 1 foot between your mirrors and the metal barriers on each side. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived