Slide out awining

Mainers on the move

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with this. We have a 2017 heartland bigcountry 3950FB. When we purchased it a couple months ago i mentioned that I would like to put an awning ( not a topper ) on the living/ dinning room slide. The salesman told me i couldn't be cause the slide was not strong enough to hold it. I should clarify that it is a manual awning that I want to put on and it looks like a 12 footer would fit.

Has any one put one on or can they recommend where to look?

Thanks,

Kelly

Mainers on the move

We had a 12’ electric awning put on our slide by Shadepro at the Escapade Rally. They did say that a manual awning would be too heavy. We had talked about having one put on for quite some time and the price was less than we expected. We are so glad we got it done!! Keeps the RV so much cooler. 

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

We just purchased a Grand Designs Solitude and there is an electric awning on the slide. I am sure that structurally our slide is no different than yours so it can be done for sure. I can check on brand and get some pictures this weekend if you would like. 

1 hour ago, ALLOY said:

There is a slide topper that has extending arms that turns it into an awning.  Somewhere here may know the brand/type.

Carefree of Colorado

Ours are canvas . Wouldn't be without them . They are manual .

Goes around , comes around .

On 6/13/2018 at 1:20 AM, Pat & Pete said:

Carefree of Colorado

Ours are canvas . Wouldn't be without them . They are manual .

Does anyone have a picture of this awning ? You have me curious. Might be something that could come in handy on my trailer.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

7 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Does anyone have a picture of this awning ? You have me curious. Might be something that could come in handy on my trailer.

Al

This might give you an idea , Al :

HPIM0664.jpg

And , it looks like this when the slide is in . The arms can be left locked up and the awning then is a topper only .

leftout.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

This might give you an idea , Al :

HPIM0664.jpg

And , it looks like this when the slide is in . The arms can be left locked up and the awning then is a topper only .

leftout.jpg

Hi Pat & Pete,

Thank you so much for the pictures. Your pictures is the first time I have seen an awning like that. I need to keep a better eye at looking at different rigs.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

alan0043, we have had those seen in Pat &  Pete's picture on our fiver for 14 years. We really like them, and as Pat & Pete said, the window awning section can either stay rolled up or out.  The thing I like about them is since I'm the Chief Wrench on this rig, there is just one roller, where as a separate slide cover and an additional window awning would have two rollers and more holes for possible leaks. Now for the possible problem, I don't think Carefree makes them any more. A friend of mine that has an RV repair shop told me this a couple of years ago and since that, I haven't seen them on newer rigs. Now, I have not checked Carefree out to for confirmation.

If the slide awnings are not made anymore , you might be able to find something at one of the RV salvage yards . 

Even if the awning material is shot , the hardware should be in good shape . Material can be ordered or bought and if you're handy with a sewing machine ... ;)

Last Summer , due to sun rot , I restitched all our awnings . Every stitch and edge with a regular home-brew sewing machine . I used UV resistant thread and the old material , as the material is still in excellent condition after 18 years .   

Archived