Shock Removal

bigredhdt

Seems that more often the lower bots fuze to the shock.  I used a cutoff wheel on the first one which took a while as i had to get the dual wheels off that were frozen to the hub.  This turned into an 8 hour job after all was done.  I had to put a jack between the opposite wheels to get them apart.

I heard that people have had issues getting through the hardened bolts with a bimetal sawzall blade.  In trying to find a faster way, I came upon a video of someone cutting a hitch ball with a sawzall.  You need to use a carbide blade to get through the bolt.  Both Lennox and Diablo make carbide sawzall blades.  Get the "thick metal" blade.  Took about 5 minutes for each cut and was able to do it without removing tires or airbags, and very little noxious smoke when getting through rubber.

I had to cut mine with the cut off wheel also. I use it a lot so am very comfortable with it. You will be glad you pulled the wheels your self one day I bet. I put antizees on the bolts even though They will probably last me forever. I use the cut off wheel on Huck Bolts as well, cut 1/3 through and then a few whacks with a hammer and off they come, about 30 seconds each.

My issue was the shock bushing had "Michigan Loctited" itself to the bolt on all 4 lower mounts.   I put an air chisel on the bushing next to the rubber part for a minute or two, the Loctite turned to powder and I was able to get the bolts out.

New shocks made a big difference, not in the ride but in the side to side sway, especially in corners.   Doesn't feel like it needs a rear sway bar any more.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

I wonder can a person weld a piece of half inch all thread onto the head of the bolt going threw the shock, make it about 6 inches long slide a piece of pipe just big enough so head of bolt will go inside it . make pipe about 5 inches long throw a 1/2 flat washer of  on top of pipe with all thread going threw it install 1/2 inch nut to all thread.  Voila  home made bolt puller.  Don't know may have already been done. might be worth trying.

1 hour ago, runaway parents said:

I wonder can a person weld a piece of half inch all thread onto the head of the bolt going threw the shock, make it about 6 inches long slide a piece of pipe just big enough so head of bolt will go inside it . make pipe about 5 inches long throw a 1/2 flat washer of  on top of pipe with all thread going threw it install 1/2 inch nut to all thread.  Voila  home made bolt puller.  Don't know may have already been done. might be worth trying.

That would likely work, but the air chisel idea suggested above is much faster.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived