Extra Propane Tank Transport Safely

We are off for a 25+ Day RV Trip in a F150 Truck Towing a Winnebago 21ft Micro Minnie Camper.  Will be mostly in hot weather in Texas, New Mexico and Southeast Colorado.  Our trailer has 2 standard 20lb Propane Tanks and I was thinking about carrying two extra secured in the pick up bed in a plastic contico tool box to shield from Sun.  Is this safe or any other recommendations?  We will be driving no more than 6 hours between RV and State Parks.  

My first question are these your tanks filled to the 20 weight or are these tanks part the exchange program which have15-16 pounds of Propane. I wouldn't think the heat would be  a problem if traveling.  Your tanks on the Minnie are exposed? Is the tool box have kind of small vent. I'm sure 80# of propane is ok to transport as I have 2 40# properly secured in my Fifth Wheel.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I would consider the carrying of such propane bottles to be safe enough as long as they are well secured to not go flying in the event of an abrupt stop or rough road. But like SWharton, I am wondering why bother? Since you have two bottles on the RV you can simply refill one when it is used and so never run out and you don't have the need for carrying more. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Almost any service/gas station exchanges the grill size propane bottles anymore.  To me carrying those extra bottles would be about the same as hauling an extra 100 gallons of gasoline in containers for your trip.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I got the spare tanks from walmart (Blue Rhino) where I exchanged them with old ones.  We are going to be in some fairly remote state parks (Davis Mountains,  Brantley Lake, NM, Cochiti Lake, NM)  Though they are not far from town I wanted to carry 2 or maybe just 1 for my gas grill and a spare back up.  This is the tool box no vents on it but I don't have any issues drilling half inch holes in it if needed somewhere.  Or should I just carry them without the tool box secured in the open truck bed?  I was worried about the sun beating down on the tanks.

239151.jpg

All sticks n bricks have tank setting out in the weather. Try sticking a thermometer inside that black box on a fairly hot day and check it about 4 hrs later, I think the temp will give you your answer

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I really don't like the idea of carrying them in that dark enclosed container.  You are correct you absolutely need to have good venting very low on the container. It would be best if vented out the bottom or right at the bottom. You don't want gas leaking into a confined container just in case. Propane is heavier and settles to the low point.  I am a little extra cautious as I had a propne delivery truck burned out from under me at the edge of Terrel Tx  years ago. Nothing blew up but it sure did burn.

I'm in the 'why bother ' camp . 

You're only gone for a measly ( OK , maybe not measly ;) ) 25 days . You likely won't use propane for much more than cooking and a little hot water . 

If that's the case , a couple 20 pound tanks will be plenty . 

I didn't keep track last Summer , but the Summer before we used almost a full 20 pounder in about 5 months . And ,we weren't trying to conserve . Ran the furnace a few mornings and cooked full meals once or twice a day . We did not heat water with propane .

Goes around , comes around .

Here's an idea.  Why not mount a regular dual tank rack in the bed of your pickup truck, and use the same kind of tank cover you see on the front of trailers?

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Because we grilled almost every night we carried around a tank for our BBQ for 16 years of full-timing, traveling constantly and had no problem getting it filled. We were in the boonies most of the time.  It was taken into town to refill when we'd pick up groceries, etc. Didn't have problems finding propane. Traveling we just put it in the rear of our  while towing it.  When we had a truck for the 5th wheel we had a milk crate to store it in the truck bed.  The sun is not going to hurt it.  Most trailers have their propane outside.

For you and only being gone 25 days I wouldn't bother carrying extra tanks.  Winter is when you use up propane but not in summer.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks for the replies.  2Gypsies, I am going with you idea and going the Milk Crate Route in the back of the Pick Up Truck and scaling down to 1 extra Propane Tank instead of 2 mainly for my little Gas Grill.   Also I think every ones opinions are right not going to use much propane anyway in the summer except for making percolated coffee in the morning and the occasional time we cook on the burners since most of our cooking will be on the gas grill. :)

1 hour ago, RedRaider89 said:

Thanks for the replies.  2Gypsies, I am going with you idea and going the Milk Crate Route in the back of the Pick Up Truck and scaling down to 1 extra Propane Tank instead of 2 mainly for my little Gas Grill.   Also I think every ones opinions are right not going to use much propane anyway in the summer except for making peculated coffee in the morning and the occasional time we cook on the burners since most of our cooking will be on the gas grill. :)

What does peculated coffee taste like ? I've never had it done that way . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

8 hours ago, RedRaider89 said:

Though they are not far from town I wanted to carry 2 or maybe just 1 for my gas grill and a spare back up. 

If you feel better with spares I see no reason why it would be unsafe as long as they are well secured. I happen to have only 1 bottle on our little Ultralite travel trailer and so I do carry an extra most of the time to have 2 available.  I use one of the plastic milk crate type carriers but added a plywood bottom with another board 2" thick attached to that which has a hole cut to just fit the round base of the bottle. I then run a trucker's bungee from the side of the crate, up through the valve protection ring and down to the other side of the crate. I keep that crate at the very front of the truck bed and secured there so that it can't move in any direction. 

He might have a propane lantern too for night lighting. But I look at it as...when you have a BBQ in your Sticks and Bricks, your tank is out there and the places you get filled, I know they are bigger and thicker but they are propane tanks in the sun. To me is making sure you have good tanks and if you are on an exchange, they should be. And make sure they truly secured down and side to side.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

Two thoughts about this discussion.  First, having tanks in the back of your pickup should not be a problem with respect to the sun shining on them and overheating.  When filled, they aren't filled 100% so that there is room for expansion.  They shouldn't normally vent due to sunshine or ambient heat.  Also, many trailers have them exposed on the front with no protection from the sun.

Second, the real issue with propane bottles in transportation is that they be mounted and secured properly so that they don't become a flying bomb in the case of a collision, rollover, or other accident.  I would make a better effort than a bungee cord to secure them, but that's just me.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

if possable store a spare tank rightside up.

but use a "hard" strap mount. should be able to get such st a better propaine supply house.

or make it. just a base to set the tank on. with a hard clamp strap mid way up the tank. and maybe even a vertical hold down?.

but out in the weather is no problem. at camp just place something heavy/thick like a cheap wicker or plastic door mat over it for a little bit of shade.

i have never needed to use my third tank. for up to a two week camp. except in the snow. but then the rv i have now is not all season.

10 minutes ago, packnrat said:

if possable store a spare tank rightside up.

I'll go beyond that and say never store a propane tank in any orientation than what it's designed for.  Usually that's vertical, but there are a few small horizontal tanks ... they're generally used in pickup campers where space is limited.

The tank's overpressure release valve is designed to vent propane vapor.  Lay a vertical tank on it's side and there's a good chance the valve will be flooded by liquid propane and it will vent that instead of vapor if it needs to release pressure.

You don't want to vent liquid propane.  It's 270 times more dense than vapor, and it turns into vapor as soon as it leaves the tank.  So in the event of a release you'll be venting 270 times more gas than you would with the tank properly oriented.

4 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

I'll go beyond that and say never store a propane tank in any orientation than what it's designed for. 

The only exception to that would be for an empty tank and even then it is recommended that the tank be in it's appropriate position for 24 hours before use, for the reasons Lou has listed. 

How about extra gasoline?  I am thinking about also carrying 5 gallons extra in back of truck.  My truck has an extended range tank (36 gallons) but it would sure be nice to have the insurance with extra gas if I need it.  Here is what I was thinking of carrying.  Maybe I am over planning?

Eagle UI-50-FS Red Galvanized Steel Type I Gasoline Safety Can with Funnel, 5 gallon Capacity, 13.5" Height, 12.5" Diameter

41QdmBwBqVL.jpg

Archived