Full timing with a travel trailer

7 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

Full timing you spend many more hours in the RV than you would in camping mode. A floor plan that works when in vacation mode and spending most of your time outside might not cut it as a home. Go look at a lot of floor plans. Think about cooking, using a computer, doing paperwork, working on a hobby or crafts.  Find a floor plan that works for you and then go from there.

I also like to sit and mentally put away my stuff. When I find myself filling the same cupboard for the third time I know I either need to reduce my belongings some more or find a different rig.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One of the best bits of advice we received was to "do" your regular things in a potential rig. That is, "wash" the dishes, "cook" a meal, "take" a shower, "watch" the television, etc. For me, it doesn't matter if the rig even has a television set - I'm not going to use it. For Jo Ann, though, the television needs to be in a place where it is comfortable for her to watch. We don't have slides in this coach, and most likely the next one won't, either, but we realize that we are in a definite minority there.

Realize that there are only so many ways that a box can be arranged for living, so don't be surprised if you find the same basic floorplan on a really cheap rig and a multi-million dollar one. Find the one or two that work for you, and concentrate on them.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

One of the things I did when evaluating a rig was sit in "my" chair and read the manual. That kept me in the chair long enough to learn if it was actually comfortable since any chair is comfortable for a few minutes when you've been walking from rig to rig. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I've had travel trailers since 1960, about every size one could mention. I've downsized several times, now to the perfect trailer for me.

I sold my trailer with a slide out and bought a small 21' Jayco which is low to the ground, easy to tow and way less stuff to work on. 

Most Rv'ers think bigger is better,.... but it's not for me.