Thoughts on this possible mini split upgrade

Been kicking around doing away completely with Dometic  unit. Not too keen on two outdoor units on back. Very doable though. Our bedroom has to have a fan pulling in cool air currently with the one 12k mini and 1 15k dometic. I must add here though the mini is colder air than the Dometic. Believe it is the ducting that causes this. Would like to add cooling in bedroom also so DW can run dryer during the summer months in Texas. Now she uses it mostly at night due to this. No dryer it stays comfortable in there with the Dyson fan. So I am considering a 36k 3 head unit. Use my existing 12k wall unit, add a 18k or 12k ceiling unit in living room at opposite end and a 9k or 12k in bedroom  also ceiling mount. These are new interior units that mount flush to the ceiling or low wall mount. Did not have this option when I installed my current unit. Also considering putting exterior unit in generator space in our Teton. That would be at very front of camper. Box it in with sheetmetal. Open front door for use, close during towing. Would have to cut out section of floor and build duct to pull air front beneath camper. May put the 12k current unit on truck as I mentioned on a previous post. What do ya'll think. And yes, this will be 240 Volt. Calls for a 30 amp breaker but max is rated at 20 amps. This is a 22 SEER unit.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I'm considering this as well. What about plumbing the minisplits into the existing duct work? I'm thinking in the front closet and in my Scottsdale, the rear bedroom upper cabinet.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Existing duct work is in a hot area. I believe this would hurt efficiency. I know what is coming out my vents now is not near as cold as the mini split air. Now if you want it ducted Spacecraft runs a duct, formed sheet metal, duct down center of unit. There is a interior unit for this. Duct work this way is in a cool place. On my Teton my ducts are down the center of ceiling. Lights between ducts and to the sides. Just won't work that way for me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well, going to have to back up on that statement. Their is about a foot opening between kitchen 120v lights and 12v lights. Runs full length of living room. Could run about a 10' duct in bedroom.

Well, after complete upgrade won't matter. Their will be solar and a Chevy Volt battery pack with inverters for 240v. Also only once very early in my RV adventure did we get 30 amp. 

I originally wanted to put on 2 units 120v 12k each. This will not correct bedroom issue though. No one makes a unit larger than 12k on 120v. If do this, won't need 240v inverter. Steve and Gail's Spacecraft is 240v because of this. 

14 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

I'm considering this as well. What about plumbing the minisplits into the existing duct work? I'm thinking in the front closet and in my Scottsdale, the rear bedroom upper cabinet.

Hey, why don't you do that  and if it works, I will. You be the guinea pig. lol

A thought, put ceiling cassettes in. Allow to go thru roof far enough to hook up lines and drain. Only be like 6" up on top. So Solar panels would be over them. No floor penetration. 

What is the size difference in the cassettes as compared  to the roof units? Are you using the same holes? They are out for me, but in time I'm sure others will want to know. Please take photos of your adventure. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Cassettes 22.5" square. 10" tall, give or take 1/4" depending on manufacturer. Rv ac hole 14" square same as a vent. looking at my vent, my roof roughly 6" thick. Now there is a grill that attaches to bottom of the cassettes also. about 1.5". So in my case roughly 4" above roof. Easily clear for solar panels. I looking at running lines on roof. Enclose in a trough, Lowes has them. Run drains off rear near unit. Do believe I can make it look presentable coming down back of Teton. This would so much simpler than running lines in Teton. The only difficult part of my 12k mini split install was the lines. It kicked DW and our butts. Do not care to do that again. Only question I have now is whether to go 18k X2 or 12k X3. 3 is extra hole. I also going to wait till cooler weather for this. Also I cannot use living room available ac hole without relocating ceiling fan. 

Question for y'all. I have this existing 120v mini split head on wall now. What would be wrong with a stepdown transformer for it and use it instead of another hole in roof for a cassette? Same size lines. 

I am getting ready to install a 2 zone 36K(3 ton) mini split in my house.  I also have the ceiling cassettes.  In your rig though, if you were to use the 14"square hole, enlarge it for the cassettes, then allow it to be higher than the roof, so that you can use them there, it would seem to be a good option.  Just not aware of how much space they need around them to function efficiently.  If they are 10" high, and your ceiling space is 6", that would only be a 4" -5" projection, then with solar panels mounted on z-brackets, you will likely have all of the parts at the same horizontal plane on the roof.  That should work well.  Just make sure your roof is in good condition before installing the panels, so you dont have problems later on.

I also am considering installing the condenser for a mini split in my Newmar 5th wheel into my generator compartment.  I have a 7K Onan and a fuel tank.

Marcel

I am leaning now to leave unit at rear. Original thought was two units. If in generator area would have to get 3 sets of lines in there from roof. Simpler out back. Generator would be a much neater install though but with lost storage.

That area is not used for storage now, and so would be found room.  Plus, Newmar have 2 unique features in their design, 1- basement storage compartments like motorhomes just not as large with still having the traditional 5er storage, 2- dually axles using LT tires more readily available and with added stability.  It does make the frame rails closer together though, but that will be looked at when I get to the other project I have in store for it, a Big Foot leveling system.  I am a fabricator, so I will tackle that when it comes time.

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, GlennWest said:

Also considering putting exterior unit in generator space in our Teton. That would be at very front of camper. Box it in with sheetmetal. Open front door for use, close during towing. Would have to cut out section of floor and build duct to pull air front beneath camper.

Would it work to mount the exterior unit to the pin box with a dust cover while on the road?

2011 Cameo 34SB3

That space would work very well but I would be cautious as to air flow.  Need lots of air flow to keep condenser from freezing up and able to run at max efficiency.  Without a fan to assist, not sure if IT would access to enough air to get rid of the heat.  I have used inline fans to provide fresh air to air cooled engines in the past and they work pretty good.  So, hooking one up with the switch wired to the compressor so that both run together, might worked in a confined space like the genset cabinet.

As to mounting it on a platform attached to the pinbox, wouldnt the vibration be bad for the soldered connections?  I would wonder about losing refrigerant and it not being able to work when I needed it.

Marcel

Archived