Starting in 18 months! cross fingers.

B00mB00M

Hello everyone!

Just found this site by looking for HDT's. We just purchased a 2018 Momentum 351 and in 18 months (or sooner) our family of 4+ dog will start our new adventure!  We are from Indiana but spent 7 years in KY before I took this job in the UAE. We currently have a 2012 F250  that we will pull with until we find a proper HDT. I really like the idea of a lowered blacked out Peterbilt :).  We bought now as the price was right and we have a place to go to if we decide to leave sooner. We chose the 351 for a few reasons; we plan to carry a few enduro bikes (garage), comes with a generator and the overall build looks better IMO. Stuff like a solid bead of glue around cabinet glass VS four spots to secure it. We also really like the floor plan (TV placement LOL) and its the biggest we can pull.

We already homeschool and are used to traveling light. So we welcome the challenge to see the States! Right now we are watching YouTube families and looking into:

1. Automatic slider that would attach to my factory Goose neck    

2. Airbags for the truck, I like the level look.

3. Air ride pinbox

4. Solar and Lithium batteries

5. Wifi and cell gear

6. An all in one Monitoring system for tire pressure and trailer camera, if they make such a thing.

7. A HDT to pull the 5ver  

Long first post post but I wanted to try and give a good idea where we are at in the process. Input is welcome as long as its constructive. 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are very happy to have you as a part of the Escapee forums and hope that you also join our club at some point. I think that you will find a great deal of help on these forums so feel free to ask questions or make comments on any of our forums or to join in on any conversation there. Because I have never owned a fifth wheel in our years of RV travels, I'll leave most advice to others here, but do suggest that you consider the Escapees as your legal address/domicile

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I thought there was a serious limitation with using Texas as a legal address.  I thought an annual inspection was required for renewing vehicle registration.  I did not have that issue with South Dakota.  My mailing service just handled the renewal for a small fee. 

8 minutes ago, JimK said:

I thought an annual inspection was required for renewing vehicle registration. 

If you are out of state when registration is due there is a waiver online for the inspection. It has never been required until you return to the state. 

With South Dakota, I did not need to fool with waivers.  I renewed each year for 5 years and never returned to the State.  That seems like a big advantage to me.  Maybe Excapees needs to consider a South Dakota office.  Perhaps an office in Florida would also make sense for those who live in that part of the country.

1 hour ago, JimK said:

Maybe Excapees needs to consider a South Dakota office.  Perhaps an office in Florida would also make sense for those who live in that part of the country.

Escapees DOES have a mail forwarding service in both SD & FL!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

15 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Escapees DOES have a mail forwarding service in both SD & FL!

Thank you.  I never heard they offered that service.  If I go full time and change residency, I would definitely consider going with the Escapees service for South Dakota.

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

It literally takes one second to check the box that says "This vehicle is currently out of state". 

And how many years can you do that?  For NYS there is a procedure for deferring the inspection when traveling out of State.  It is a big pain in the butt and designed only for very temporary use. 

8 hours ago, JimK said:

I thought there was a serious limitation with using Texas as a legal address.  I thought an annual inspection was required for renewing vehicle registration.  I did not have that issue with South Dakota.  My mailing service just handled the renewal for a small fee. 

South Dakota tends to not be a good choice for people not yet eligible for Medicare which is probably the case since they are homeschooling their kids. This year, Florida is best for pre-Medicare health insurance.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

It will be registered in KY to start out, when we get back i will absolutely look into your recommendations! And thank you! I am 37 so I have to take that under consideration. My wife runs her business from home so we are looking into doing an LLC deal for the truck and such. I have looked at some HDTs and comparing pre built vs doing it myself.  I know it is some work but I love building and modifying. 

I was looking at the meet up threads but it looks like they dont happen anymore? i would love to attend a rally and learn as much as I can.

Also what is the SKP# for? 

A SKP number is your membership number to the Escapees organization. The organization provides support to RVers with a leaning toward full time, has a national rally once a year(Escapade), has a premier mail service, campgrounds, this forum and generally provides support for RVers. There is also the Xscapers organization, part of Escapees, for full time rving families and younger people. If you have domicile questions etc. there is a law firm that specializes in those issues. Have a great monthly magazine. Smart Weigh to get your rig weighed(4 corner) and measured. Boot Camp. CARE(Rvers nursing home) etc. etc.

Escapees.com is the website.

5 hours ago, B00mB00M said:

i would love to attend a rally and learn as much as I can.

We just finished our 2018 rally, called Escapade and the next one will be in Tucson, AZ and will begin on March 17, 2019. We would love to have you join us there and you could learn a great deal. Another thing that you may want to consider is attending one of the sessions of Escapee's RV Boot Camp, or perhaps the online RV University

12 hours ago, B00mB00M said:

My wife runs her business from home so we are looking into doing an LLC deal for the truck and such.

My understanding is that makes the rig a commercial rig with the resultant licensing and insurance issues. I suggest you do some research into this. Some people have decided the tax savings is not worth the hassles. Also, some parks don't allow commercial vehicles.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

15 hours ago, sandsys said:

My understanding is that makes the rig a commercial rig with the resultant licensing and insurance issues.

We just finished Escapade and in the X-scapers area were many who work from or operate a business from their RVs and I didn't see any commercial license plates there. Since I am the one who counted RVs daily, I would expect to notice if there were many there. The issue would depend on the laws of the state of licensing. 

On 6/4/2018 at 2:23 PM, SWharton said:

A SKP number is your membership number to the Escapees organization. The organization provides support to RVers with a leaning toward full time, has a national rally once a year(Escapade), has a premier mail service, campgrounds, this forum and generally provides support for RVers. There is also the Xscapers organization, part of Escapees, for full time rving families and younger people. If you have domicile questions etc. there is a law firm that specializes in those issues. Have a great monthly magazine. Smart Weigh to get your rig weighed(4 corner) and measured. Boot Camp. CARE(Rvers nursing home) etc. etc.

Escapees.com is the website.

Wow! We will be looking into this for sure. Thanks!

On 6/4/2018 at 5:59 PM, Zulu said:

What are you doing for health insurance?

That is a great question! We have insurance here but will need to find some when we get back. 😐

As far as the OLD goes, I am just looking to maximize tax and liability. I have lots of learning ahead.

Escapees has some health insurance, not sure who it is for. You might want to go onto xscapers.com with some of your questions. I think your future decisions will primarily revolve around health insurance, once that is resolved, everything else will fall into place.

2 hours ago, B00mB00M said:

As far as the OLD goes, I am just looking to maximize tax and liability. I have lots of learning ahead.

You are wise to start planning early as far too many of us fail to do so. I'll caution you as well that "old" seems to come on with a speed that none of us anticipate. Don't even ask me how I know that.  😲

8 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Do you keep the report for proof should you need it or do you send a copy to the agency as well.

Your current registration is proof that you acted properly as you have nothing else that shows whether or not your vehicle was inspected. When you get a vehicle inspected the inspector gives you a copy and sends one to the DMV.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:59 AM, Zulu said:

What are you doing for health insurance?

7 hours ago, B00mB00M said:

Wow! We will be looking into this for sure. Thanks!

That is a great question! We have insurance here but will need to find some when we get back.

If you have to buy your own health insurance, then buying from the ACA (aka Obamacare) is still probably the best and most affordable.

I believe a family of 4 earning under $99K is eligible for a government subsidy. Otherwise, you would have to foot the entire bill.

If you plan on traveling around the country, then you want a health plan that can travel with you. That is, a plan that gives you access to a nationwide health network. Typically, these are PPO health plans.

The bad news is that nationwide plans are few and far between.

I just checked a dozen counties in KY and they all had HMO plans from a single provider. For your family, I guesstimated about $900/month premium (without a subsidy). Here's the tool to use: www.healthsherpa.com. All you need is your domicile county and ZIP code.

If you're planning to move to another domicile, then your best bet at the moment is Florida. FL has nationwide Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) plans, FL has Escapee mail service, and FL has no state tex.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived