Domicile question

Ami Sarasvati

Newbie here. Plan to split my year between NH and the southwest. Need to register the new truck and fifth wheel in the next few weeks. I am trying to wrap my head around the domicile issue and how to do this properly but intelligently. Do I need to drive to (for example if I choose Texas) in my truck and RV and register everything there? Is it worth it?

Welcome to the forum.

So you're going to live in an RV full time?  What is your domicile now?  

Many full timers choose domicile based on low or no state income tax, low sales tax, low vehicle registration fees, etc.  That is why Tx, SD and Fla are often chosen.  But, other considerations include healthcare coverage.  If your health insurance is good anywhere, you're golden.  Vehicle insurance could also be a consideration.  If domiciled in Fla, your rates will likely be higher than SD. 

8 hours ago, Ami Sarasvati said:

Newbie here. Plan to split my year between NH and the southwest. Need to register the new truck and fifth wheel in the next few weeks. I am trying to wrap my head around the domicile issue and how to do this properly but intelligently. Do I need to drive to (for example if I choose Texas) in my truck and RV and register everything there? Is it worth it?

You didn't say why NH.  Do you currently live there?  Own a house?  Plan to keep it?  If so, I can't think of any reason to "domicile" in TX.  NH doesn't have a state income tax.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Not sure about the other states but in So Dakota you can register your vehicles by mail. However in order to obtain your drivers liscense you must spend at least one night anywhere in the state. RV Park, hotel doesn’t matter. SD has very low registration fees and insurance premiums, no income tax and only 4% sales tax. Health insurance can be a problem. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so do not hesitate to ask anything or to join any of our forums or subjects.

From your post I suspect that you really don't fully understand the domicile issue so before you get too far, may I suggest that you take the time to read this article from Escapees Magazine that discusses the subject? I believe that it would be quite helpful. In addition, attorney Shawn Loring has written this information for the Escapee website that should be helpful.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Independent Lady said:

I figure I"m pretty much a minority on this forum, since traveling in my RV was not all that I thought it was cracked up to be. However, I am very glad that I did it, drove cross country actually twice and saw all that I wanted to see.

At the very least you have tried it out and followed a dream so down the road I think that you will find you made a good choice. The main reason that you are a minority is that most who discover that it isn't what they like do not stay around later to clue others in on the experience that they had. It would be a good thing if some were to do so and you might just be that voice of warning that new folks need. In the years since I began to follow RVing forums, it seems to me that at least half of those who first inquire about fulltime RV living, are gone in 3 years or less, but since they stop posting, we rarely know what happened. This life is like any other lifestyle in that it is not for everyone. You are probably part of a much larger group than those of us who have been doing this for years. 

Be happy and proud that you had what it takes to take a chance and to experience for yourself. Nothing is permanent and there is no shame in moving on. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Independent Lady said:

My biggest reason for not sharing my own experiences is that I don't want to color someone else's enthusiasm as they look forward to starting out...what I did not realize was my very very strong tie to New England, my home. What my take away is from my own adventure, is that I did it, went everywhere I planned to go, saw what I wanted to see, and said okay, time to go home!!

My husband would relate 100% to that. In our three years of fulltiming we went through all 48 contiguous states and visited a great many places along the way. But the draw to return to Minnesota got stronger for him every year. So we moved back to Minnesota and I spent the next three years hiding from winter on my own before I decided missing him was worse than staying home.

But, I come here to this forum every day to encourage people to at least go see for themselves if it will work for them for however long it lasts. There are no rules about how long you need to stay out there. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived