Short ratchet strap

GlennWest

It has been suggested tying down our Smarts with looped strap thru rim into our ratchet.  I like this idea and much easier and better mousetrap. Trouble is not finding straps under 8' length. That's a lot of waste.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Go to Tractor Supply, or your alternative, by the appropriate size D ring and some copper rivets, or Chicago Screws ( in the horse section) and make some handy straps out of the extra.

Been thinking 1/4" pop rivets with rivet washers would also work well. If you use one D ring larger than the other you could feed one end through the other for putting around a pipe or rail.  You could probably just make a loop on each end if you didn't won't to use D rings. 

Of course some times not wasting can cost more than wasting. But it goes against my Vermont Yankee upbringing.

8 footers

About the shortest I could find w/o going custom order. 

Four of them crosswise,  with these axle straps thru the rims and very little leftover after a few turns on the ratchet.

Took about 5 minutes to hook up to  recessed tie downs put flush into the wood deck.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Interesting but none of that will work on mine. I have rachets on my wheel stops. All I need is a strap with an eye or d ring. I get some, just hate wasting all that strap material.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 minutes ago, Brad NSW said:

8 footers

About the shortest I could find w/o going custom order. 

Four of them crosswise,  with these axel straps thru the rims and very little leftover after a few turns on the ratchet.

Took about 5 minutes to hook up to  recessed tie downs put flush into the wood deck.

Brad,

Are you tieing them down front to rear or front tire to the rear tie down, or front to rear across in an X?

I find that the single strap over the tire with the rubber blocks works and is easy to use, and less parts, but that's just me. Always looking for a new way to do things.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I crossed the rear ones and went straight back with the front ones.  Found all 4 crossing in the middle looked like too much rubbing would happen.  This way the all had pretty clear runs.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Glenn, try THIS .  This is where we order our custom tie-downs from. I have not found a better source anywhere. And I have not found a cheaper source either. They are wholesale to the public. So much so, that even as a business I cannot improve the price from another source. I order 5' and then sometimes cut them down. 4' usually works fine, but in some circumstances can be getting a little short.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived