Need help finding Sailun tires for my 5th wheel

Hello all,

It's come time for me to replace the 11 year old original Goodyear G614 RST  LT235/85R16 Load range G tires on our triple axle 2008 Teton trailer. They still look great but know I am past the date code (3307) expiration time. I have done alot of reading here and other forums and decided to go with the Sailun S637 as my replacement. I'm staying with the factory 16" rims but having a difficult time finding the exact LT235/85R16 size.

Can anyone point me to a suggestion where to look for best prices?

Thanks!

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

That's probably because they have quit building them. They now have two steel cased ST tires that have replaced the LT (RSTs).

They are in sizes ST235/80R16 LRG rated at 4080# @ 110 PSI

and, ST235/85R16 LRG rated at 4400# @ 110 PSI.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

The ST235/85R16 is the same size as the LT235/85R16. ST means "Special Trailer" while LT means "Light Truck". These are different classifications of tires, with the ST tires generally having higher load ratings, but in many cases lower speed ratings. However the Sailun S637 has a speed rating "L" which is 75 mph, same as the Goodyear tire. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

6 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

The ST235/85R16 is the same size as the LT235/85R16. ST means "Special Trailer" while LT means "Light Truck". These are different classifications of tires, with the ST tires generally having higher load ratings, but in many cases lower speed ratings. However the Sailun S637 has a speed rating "L" which is 75 mph, same as the Goodyear tire. 

Supposedly Sailun changed the (same size) LT to ST to avoid high import tax on the LT tires..

Whether true or false - it has been on several forums in the past.

Note - check your rims for 110psi requirement.

Thanks guys....I appreciate the explanation. 

I looked at my rims and don't see any visible markings/labels to indicate the the PSI rating....but it says on my VIN sticker 110, and since the current Goodyear tires are 110 wouldn't it be safe to assume the rims are good for the same tire replacement? 

Ok now after reading a little more about the current Goodyears installed and replacing with the Sailuns of the exact same size (235/85R16) I am being told the Sailuns are actually about 1" taller??

I'm not sure my trailer setup will tolerate a taller tire. There is only 2 1/4" gap between each of the three tires (at two spots) as it is now. With a 1" taller tire I will be closing the gap down to potentially 1 1/4" correct? That seems awful close to me??

Should I use the 235/80R16's instead? 

My current Goodyear weight capacity is 3,750 per tire.... the Sailun 235/80R16's are still greater than that at 4,080. I did like the 85's more at 4,400

39 minutes ago, leavingsoon said:

Ok now after reading a little more about the current Goodyears installed and replacing with the Sailuns of the exact same size (235/85R16) I am being told the Sailuns are actually about 1" taller??

I'm not sure my trailer setup will tolerate a taller tire. There is only 2 1/4" gap between each of the three tires (at two spots) as it is now. With a 1" taller tire I will be closing the gap down to potentially 1 1/4" correct? That seems awful close to me??

My current Goodyear weight capacity is 3,750 per tire.... the Sailun 235/80R16's are still greater than that at 4,080. I did like the 85's more at 4,400

Mine are closer than that and no problem. 3 axles

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, leavingsoon said:

I was just going to caution you about this!

The Goodyears run smaller than most 235/85R16's and I think the Sailun's run a tad larger. Measure your wheelbase....If you have 35" spacing you could fit the 235/85's and if you have the 33" spacing I would lean to the 235/80's and they will be almost the same diameter as your Goodyear tires.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Dexter says minimum of 1" between tires. MorRyde says minimum of 0.75" tires.  (Tires under load)

Discussed and confirmed with their respective representatives face to face.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

2 hours ago, leavingsoon said:

Thanks!.....

I measured the wheelbase centers and see I have 33".... so I will go with the 80's then.

I guess on paper the 85's would squeeze in there but seems too tight for real world driving.

Here are the specs for the steel cased Sailuns.....http://www.sailuntires.ca/PLT/S637st.html

Note: The GY G614 (LT235/85R16G IS a trailer tire. That's what the RST on it's sidewall is telling you, Regional Service Trailer. 

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

When I initially switched to the same Sailun S637  tires for my 5er, the HDT shop that installed them said the minimum clearance between tandum axles/wheels is 3/4". Same as what Trey stated.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived