Short Trip

JPL

The day started off well enough. Had a good breakfast at The Waffle House. Went home and hooked up the 5er and headed for Williamsburg Va. 55 miles. No big deal. Got to the intersection of I 664 and I 64 in Hampton Va. and noticed smoke coming from the driver side tires on the 5er. Thought a tire issue or a brake problem. When I was able to pull over I had traffic on both sides with me in the middle at the base of the "Y" split. Hit the blinkers and cautiously got out to check. I found the rear spring hanger with 2 broken welds and the rear tire rubbing against the front tire causing the tire smoke. You could really smell the rubber. Got triangles out and set. On the hook with Good Sams. 10 minutes the VDOT truck was there having me pull up a little more so he could close one lane while I tried to get the Calvary to come to the rescue. 20 minutes in, a Va State trooper stops and wants to know what is being done to clear this issue. I told him I was trying to get in touch with G S but was on hold. Finally get thru and the lady tries to help. The trooper had also started calling because by now I got traffic in the west bound entrance to I 64 backed for 2-3 miles. The trooper took some pictures as asked by a tow service his is also calling. They tell him from the pictures it probably can't be easily towed (really!) and they will send a service truck to see if they can weld repair the hanger. By now at 1 1/2 hrs. The service truck gets there while I'm on the phone with G S. I tell her I am going to have to let the service man make repairs so we can at least move it. What a Service Truck! I must get the best trucks because last time on the hook a 2017 triple axle wrecker hauled me 15 miles. Today a new 2018 Freightliner service truck pulled up with all the bells and whistles you need to fix something broke. He jacked the frame up, hooked a chain fall to the axle and pulled it back into (close as he could get) place and welded it right there will all or the traffic whizzinmg by! In and out in a Hour. Back on the ground and pulling (slowly) with a temp (he called it) repair. Got back home and on the slab. The Service company was Tidewater Express Inc ph# 757-723-1214 or 757-487-2925. Hope no one else will need them on a trip to the Va. Beach, Norfolk or Hampton Newport News Williamsburg area but if you have issues great people to work with. And it cost $198.01!! More will fellow after I talk (politely I hope) to Mesa Ridge.

As Vegas Teacher said: It is nice to see someone who knows what he is doing, has the tools to do it, and the knowledge to accomplish the difficult job on hand. He came he saw he conquered.    Pat 

The Old Sailor

Glad you got home safely.  Hopefully you get a positive resolution from Mesa Ridge.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Hi Pat,

Curious minds need to know what frame and suspension is on that Mesa Ridge ? I might be in the market to replace my trailer, so I need to know the faults of different frames.

Thank you for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Pat, Have the spring hangers boxed in.  The weak points of them are where they broke on yours as you know.  If you weld a plate across the front and rear of the hanger tabs, this keeps the side to side motion from weakening the welds.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

7 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Hi Pat, Have the spring hangers boxed in.  The weak points of them are where they broke on yours as you know.  If you weld a plate across the front and rear of the hanger tabs, this keeps the side to side motion from weakening the welds.

Good call, Jim

Update!    Talked to he dealer we got the 5er from. Said they couldn't do anything for us and to call Mesa Ridge (Highland Ridge). Talked to them this morning and they said they would send us a check for the repair bill and I could take it to a shop that did that kind of repair. I'll have to send them some pictures and we'll go from there. 

alan0043 It is a Lippert frame. The spring hanger failed at the bend on both sides. Both legs broke off but the welds were still on the frame. I feel like they just broke at the weakest point, The bend. 

cactus    I like your idea of boxing but first I need to get it put back repaired and then I'll tweak as required. 

I'm going to push them to replace all 4 hangers. We have put 10k+ on it so now I'll really worry if they aren't changed. 

I delivered the 5er to the shop that probably do the repair. They will look at it tues. Hope to send a quote to H R by wen/thurs. 

Hope for a 2/3 wk debate/repair. Only time will tell. 

Made some headway today hope it keeps up. Will miss not being somewhere other than here at the house this weekend.

Thanks to all with the kind words.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Good luck with the repairs and getting reimbursed by the manufacturer.  Sorry you didn't make it to Williamsburg.  

I know the 664/64 junction where you got stuck.  Not a fun place to be sitting and traffic is always terrible there!

Glad you got out safe.  I fly in late next week and will give you a call.

Finally got my smart car loaded for the first time today.  Winch up went great and it drove off nicely.  Pretty stoked!

Brad

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Quote for repair has been sent to Highland Ridge. They got it yesterday and I'll start really calling real regular on Monday. The quote was to replace all 6 hangers and realign the axles to the pin. We'll see how this plays out.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Update     I talked to Highland Ridge again today. They have received the pictures and are working with Lippert and I'll talk with HR again tomorrow. I call twice a day. Once in the AM and again in the PM. We are waiting on word from Lippert about the spring hangers. Do I get them local, which is possible, or wait for Them to send me new ones? I want them to make up there mind in a hurry. But will they? More to fol;low when we know more!     Pat

The Old Sailor 

Update     Got a verbal today saying the parts can be obtained locally. The repair will start Monday if we get hard copy. The grandson gets out of school on the 15th so hope to be able to use the 5er. Stay tuned!   Pat

The Old Sailor

Many moons ago pulling camper up Monarch Pass in Colo. Boy this is pulling hard and then saw smoke. The front spring hanger welds had broke and let the axle move back till tire rubbed. Got out come a long and pulled axle in place and found a place down the Mt. to borrow there welder and an hr. later was on my way. The other side let loose a few yrs. later with in an 1/8 mi. of a weld shop.

beemergary   That is what I saw when I looked in the rear view. Smoke. Your repair sounds like mine. I didn't have a come along with me but I'll be carrying one next trip. Maybe a welder!

East Coast Trailer Sales will pull it into a bay tomorrow and start removal/repairs.

May be done by fri but who knows. Stay tuned!   Pat

The Old Sailor

6 hours ago, JPL said:

beemergary   That is what I saw when I looked in the rear view. Smoke. Your repair sounds like mine. I didn't have a come along with me but I'll be carrying one next trip. Maybe a welder!

East Coast Trailer Sales will pull it into a bay tomorrow and start removal/repairs.

May be done by fri but who knows. Stay tuned!   Pat

The Old Sailor

A couple of cheep ratchet straps work well to pull an axle back where you want it.

They can also be used in tandem to get a vehicle back up on a trailer or deck. This takes a while, but works.

https://www.amazon.com/DC-Cargo-Mall-Tie-Down-Ratcheting/dp/B01IRSAOMK

Not to mention you can use them as ratchet straps.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Parrformance   Ratchet straps I have. Will add to the toolbox. 

The 5er made it into a bay today and work is U/W. Will pay them a visit in the morning. Hope for a fri. completion date. Should have a good idea tomorrow.   Stay Tuned!   Pat

The Old Sailor

All    The work is done and I looked at it this afternoon. The welding looks good from a Visual Inspection.They were able to turn it around in 2 and a 1/2 days. I will pick it up in the morning and have it here at home on the slab. We added 5 yards on concrete Tuesday. That adds 16 feet that I can go back . That will really give me a lot more room at the gate. Concrete has really gotten Super Expensive! My wife told me if I mention pouring anymore concrete there was going to be a funeral around her and it wasn't hers!! So I guess I've poured all I'm going to get. Anyway I know that I'll be able to pickup the 5er BUT I have to pay for it before they will release it. Even thought Highland Ridge Emailed them to do the repair. I talked to H/R yesterday and they told me they would send them a check but it would take the accounting department 30 to 60 days to get them a check. The summer would be mostly gone before I could get it out of Hock. So I go in there tomorrow and I Pay them and send the bill to H/R. Wonder how long they will take to pay me and I wonder of I get interest after 30 days(LOL). Still haven't got a check for the Service Truck but it's only been 3 weeks. Oh well at least we'll have the 5er and the summer to enjoy. Stay tuned! But it will probably be a while before I can say it's done.   Pat

The Old Sailor

All    Picked the 5er up Friday morning and work is done. They boxed the hangers and the new hangers are a 1/4" instead of 3/16. Now ready to get back on the road but I think it will be a couple of weeks. We have to get reloaded so we'll be ready. It towed nice so I feel like everything is fine. I'll find out for sure when we go somewhere. East Coast Trailer Sales in Portsmouth Va. really has a beautiful facility. 12 bays each 80' long so they can get anything in there. And they keep them full. Hopefully one more update. Stay tuned.     

Had a great visit with Brad NSW. He is here from San Diego giving some training here and he was able to stop by for a couple of hours. i really enjoyed his visit. We sat around in the shop and talked trucks and traveling and numerous other things and I enjoyed every minute. So a big Thanks to Brad for taking the time to stop by!       

There is always a open invitation to anyone whose is in the area. Stop by  and we'll shoot the breeze and if your time permits I'll take you on a tour of the world's largest Navy Base. 

To all who are and were at the WCR have a safe trip to your next destination!!    Pat

The Old Sailor

• 4 weeks later...

Update     We took off for the 4th by leaving on the 2nd. The 5er towed straight and no problems encountered. It was only a short trip to the CG but no issues. Got back and ck'ed the mail box for a ck from Highland Ridge and found none. That doesn't surprise me. Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and remind them. Looks like one more posting. Stay tuned.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived