Jump to content
remoandiris

Changing DISH service address using your MYDish account

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I have been using Dish for over 13 years.  Now the process of changing Service Address started just a few years ago when DNS went away. We make 40-50 moves a year and have satellite TV every time.  We only change Locals when we have too because we left a Spot Beam which could be one day or a week or so, but we do the process often.

So why am I so much more successful?  I don't know.  I contact the same CSRs via Chat as everyone else.  I am prepared.  I have my account number, PIN number, and my script. ready when the Chat starts.  Having the account number and PIN shortens the process a whole lot.

My script say Change the Service Address and the Locals associated with that Service Address and I clearly state not to change the Billing Address.  The Billing Address counts as t sets the sales tax for that address.  Your script doesn't say that.

My method of having all the information available means a Chat of only a couple of minutes, well within keeping the CSR call rate up.

The Locals change usually occur in less than 5 minutes.  I can't remember the last time I did a Switch Check to cause the Guide to update.  Mostly because with a Hopper, a Switch Check won't make the directory update happen any faster.

My courtesy with the CSR starts during the Chat.  So if I am using the same CSRs as you and I get totally different results, the issue isn't what I am doing.

 

"The Billing Address counts as t sets the sales tax for that address."

I've found it's the service address that determines the sales tax.  We are full timers, and over the past few months have been in several states.  I called DISH to ask about the various sales taxes being charged, when there should be none as our billing address is Florida where no sales tax is charged.  The account rep didn't know, and put me on hold while he checked with someone.  He came back on the phone and told me it is the service address that determines the tax rate.  During the times that I was charged a sales tax, my service addresses were mostly in the state where the tax was assessed for most or all of the billing period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chindog said:

"The Billing Address counts as t sets the sales tax for that address."

I've found it's the service address that determines the sales tax.  We are full timers, and over the past few months have been in several states.  I called DISH to ask about the various sales taxes being charged, when there should be none as our billing address is Florida where no sales tax is charged.  The account rep didn't know, and put me on hold while he checked with someone.  He came back on the phone and told me it is the service address that determines the tax rate.  During the times that I was charged a sales tax, my service addresses were mostly in the state where the tax was assessed for most or all of the billing period.

Yep, and that's why when we're in central to northern Florida we use a St Marys, GA service address that gets the Jacksonville, FL locals without the FL 9.07% satellite TV services tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 8:39 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

Yep, and that's why when we're in central to northern Florida we use a St Marys, GA service address that gets the Jacksonville, FL locals without the FL 9.07% satellite TV services tax.

Well don't use the app then. I haven't read all the previous posts but I used the app today and it was real simple. The GPS in my phone gave them the location. It asked which on my 2 receivers I was closest to, I selected the one I was looking at and pushed "next" and it said "You can receiver the Oklahoma City locals", then it asked for the receiver ID and told me where to find that on the screen. In a few minutes I had Oklahoma City locals. I am not a pay as you go customer but I am an RV account. The app sure makes it easy, I'll give Dish that one. I kinda like it. 

Edited by Big5er

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Well don't use the app then. I haven't read all the previous posts but I used the app today and it was real simple. The GPS in my phone gave them the location. It asked which on my 2 receivers I was closest to, I selected the one I was looking at and pushed "next" and it said "You can receiver the Oklahoma City locals", then it asked for the receiver ID and told me where to find that on the screen. In a few minutes I had Oklahoma City locals. I am not a pay as you go customer but I am an RV account. The app sure makes it easy, I'll give Dish that one. I kinda like it. 

Actually, I do plan to use the app to change our locals to St Marys, GA, but I'll do it while we're staying there at Crooked River State Park in January. If I wanted to change my locals to St Marys without being there, then I would use chat of course. We probably won't change locals again until we get down to Alafia River State Park southeast of Tampa, FL in March, and I'll use the app there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran into a new one a couple of days ago...

We moved to a new location and I do the online chat to change our service address and local channels. The rep tells me he can't change my local channels because my account isn't tagged as a Dish outdoors account. I pushed back and told him I have changed my locals many times through the chat and he finally agrees to do it "just this one time", but tells me I need to get my account tagged as Dish Outdoors. I ask him how I do that and he gives me a phone number that I need to call. After the chat ends, I call the number and the DIsh Outdoors rep is very confused by my request and says she has never heard of that. She says there is no way to mark an account as Dish Outdoors. I asked her how I can get access to change my locals through the app and she said it is very limited right now because it is in testing and they are having some problems with it, but eventually, it will be available to all of us. 

Obviously, Dish needs to set some rules and do some training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cshrader said:

I ran into a new one a couple of days ago...

We moved to a new location and I do the online chat to change our service address and local channels. The rep tells me he can't change my local channels because my account isn't tagged as a Dish outdoors account. I pushed back and told him I have changed my locals many times through the chat and he finally agrees to do it "just this one time", but tells me I need to get my account tagged as Dish Outdoors. I ask him how I do that and he gives me a phone number that I need to call. After the chat ends, I call the number and the DIsh Outdoors rep is very confused by my request and says she has never heard of that. She says there is no way to mark an account as Dish Outdoors. I asked her how I can get access to change my locals through the app and she said it is very limited right now because it is in testing and they are having some problems with it, but eventually, it will be available to all of us. 

Obviously, Dish needs to set some rules and do some training. 

Sometimes you just have to say, "Okay, thanks."  Hang up, dial again (or use Chat which is actually better) and talk to the next person.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cshrader said:

I ran into a new one a couple of days ago...

We moved to a new location and I do the online chat to change our service address and local channels. The rep tells me he can't change my local channels because my account isn't tagged as a Dish outdoors account. I pushed back and told him I have changed my locals many times through the chat and he finally agrees to do it "just this one time", but tells me I need to get my account tagged as Dish Outdoors. I ask him how I do that and he gives me a phone number that I need to call. After the chat ends, I call the number and the DIsh Outdoors rep is very confused by my request and says she has never heard of that. She says there is no way to mark an account as Dish Outdoors. I asked her how I can get access to change my locals through the app and she said it is very limited right now because it is in testing and they are having some problems with it, but eventually, it will be available to all of us. 

Obviously, Dish needs to set some rules and do some training. 

On the other hand, our account got changed to an "Outdoors Account" because I started stating in my chat session that "We are in a RV and want to change our service address."   I found out when, back at our sticks & bricks we had a problem with the receiver and went though the trouble shooting process with Dish.  When they finally gave up and said they needed to send a tech out, they suddenly stated they can't send a tech to an "Outdoors Account".  I would need to contact a local RV repair place to come out, i.e. Camping World or PPL Motorhomes.  I stressed to Dish, that while we travel a lot, we were at our home, not in a RV.  The did send out a tech and he replaced the receiver, the entire dish and the coax to the dish.  Hey, when you replace everything then the problem should go away! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I ordered the free voice remote Dish was recently offering to some subscribers, they automatically set it to ship to my service address. I had to contact them to get it sent to my billing address instead, since we can't receive mail or packages at the service address. I'd think they would do the same with service requirements, sending the tech to your current service address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Dish will not do a service call on a house with wheels.  They will do an install but not a service call.  No logic on this one.

But in 13 years, the only call I made was for a bad HDMI port on a VIP622 and that was handled over the phone.  I just assume as an RVer, it is my job to fix things or trouble shoot them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to pay more attention when I see Dish service trucks in RV parks. I know they're not all there for new installations, but they may be authorized dealer trucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Yes Dish will not do a service call on a house with wheels.  

Actually they will if it's their equipment and the problem can't be handled by phone AND you get a "retention specialist" involved. They don't like to send out empty return boxes. Of course results could vary depending on your location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last month I've changed the locals 3 times using Dish app chat, the first two times I ended up calling in but the last time I simplified what I told them and it worked. I just gave them my name, phone number, pin number and new service address. I don't care about billing address because we are paperless billing. Sometime simple is just better. 

Denny 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×