Changing DISH service address using your MYDish account

Hmmmm....this is the representative that I spoke with.  He was very polite and helpful.  Maybe you could try him:

Keenan T.Advanced Account Support

Survey Response Team | Christiansburg, VA

9:00AM-8:00PM EDT Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat

Office: (866) 974-2654 EXT: 40592

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad that some have made such informative post to this thread, it must be awful boring and slow out there today.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I was wondering if you can have your locals changed before you get to a location without your reciever being on, I  know the reciever remembers the last chanel it was on when you set it back up at a new location so it may not work.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

9 minutes ago, D&J said:

I was wondering if you can have your locals changed before you get to a location without your reciever being on, I  know the reciever remembers the last chanel it was on when you set it back up at a new location so it may not work.

Denny 

When a change of programming is authorized, the satellite sends a signal addressed to only your receiver, reprogramming it.  That signal is only sent for a certain number of times and then stops.   So, if you call them to upgrade your locals and don't have your receiver on it won't receive the programming change prior to the satellite change signal stopping.

Now, I have heard of people who knew they were going to be out of cell and internet range calling prior to the move and having them change the locals while they still had the dish up.  As you can guess, it worked just fine.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

16 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

When a change of programming is authorized, the satellite sends a signal addressed to only your receiver, reprogramming it.  That signal is only sent for a certain number of times and then stops.   So, if you call them to upgrade your locals and don't have your receiver on it won't receive the programming change prior to the satellite change signal stopping.

Now, I have heard of people who knew they were going to be out of cell and internet range calling prior to the move and having them change the locals while they still had the dish up.  As you can guess, it worked just fine.

I was just trying to get around the guide being updated to a new location,  most of the time it can be a PITA trying to get it to update after local change without resetting the reciever.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

I have occasionally used the chat system to change the locals to a new location before leaving the old location, but the receiver was on and receiving a signal. The guide would update, but not surprisingly if I was not within the new spot beam's footprint, attempting to tune to one of the new channels resulted in a no signal error. The reverse also occurs, if the receiver was on a previous local channel when turned on at a new location.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

A number of times, when I know we will not have cell service in our new location, and we will be out of range of the old locals, I stop along the way and put up the dish and change to the new locals.  I also make sure the receiver has downloaded then new program guide.  This is one advantage of having a Winegard Trav'ler, push a button and it finds the satellite.

I doubt the program guide will download the new local channels if you are not in the new locals footprint.  I never tried to do this.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, Al F said:

I doubt the program guide will download the new local channels if you are not in the new locals footprint.  I never tried to do this.

The receiver doesn't know where you are, only what the updated data signal tells it. The update signal does not come from the new spot beams.

Dutch

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The receiver doesn't know where you are, only what the updated data signal tells it. The update signal does not come from the new spot beams.

Makes sense, as long as the program guide update is not sent through the spot beam connection.  I'll have to give it a try the next time we are moving to a new local channel area.  It sure would beat needing to stop for 30 minutes or so in route to make the change.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

The receiver has a code that enables what it can receive.  That code is what is changed when you change your Service Address.  If you don't get the code changed and you leave the spot beam, the receiver will be enabled for content you cannot receive and that is what the screen will say. Just being in the new spot beam changes nothing in the receiver.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I think I'm going change my locals to the new location before we leave next week, I will also try the chat in the Dish app for the first time.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175

For the second time in 3 weeks, they have changed my billing address to match my new service address and didn't change my local channels. I called this time and was very clear that I was in an RV and only wanted to change my local channels. He said he understood. I don't understand why this is so difficult. It seems like many of the agents you chat/talk to have no concept of using DIsh in an RV. I guess they don't have RVs in India.

I wish I could figure out the secret to getting access to change my locals myself through the app...

I had some fun yesterday.  We moved to the Roanoke, VA area.  I did the online chat to update locals.  The old listings disappeared in a few minutes but the new ones never showed up.

I rebooted - still no joy.  Ran check switch, Eastern Arc showed just fine.

Contacted support, had them resend authorization - no go.

Ended up chatting with advanced support.  Took me through the same old stuff.

Suddenly, it dawned on me.  Roanoke is only on the Western Arc - nothing, not even SD on the east.

After spending the last several months traveling in the northeast, I forgot that there are a very few places only on the Western Arc in this neck of the woods.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

2 hours ago, cshrader said:

For the second time in 3 weeks, they have changed my billing address to match my new service address and didn't change my local channels. I called this time and was very clear that I was in an RV and only wanted to change my local channels. He said he understood. I don't understand why this is so difficult. It seems like many of the agents you chat/talk to have no concept of using DIsh in an RV. I guess they don't have RVs in India.

I wish I could figure out the secret to getting access to change my locals myself through the app...

I always use Chat because it eliminates hearing problems on both ends.  But I have had to call in a couple of times, when Chat was down.  I have yet to talk to someone outside the US,

Maybe if you are getting India, your are not calling Dish.

You say you fail with Chat, I cannot address that, it is too simple.

Obviously you have ignored all the previously listed scripts for change the Service Address that include the statement, do not change Billing Address.  You don't say change Local channels, you say change the Service Address.

Just for the record, the Dish RV users are an incredibility small portion of the 14 million Dish subscribers.  So even though we think we are the most important people on earth, we aren't.

I very much doubt you will ever be able to use the App because it is for Pay-As-You-Go subscribers and from your statements, you aren't.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

4 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I always use Chat because it eliminates hearing problems on both ends.  But I have had to call in a couple of times, when Chat was down.  I have yet to talk to someone outside the US,

Obviously you have ignored all the previously listed scripts for change the Service Address that include the statement, do not change Billing Address.  You don't say change Local channels, you say change the Service Address.

Just for the record, the Dish RV users are an incredibility small portion of the 14 million Dish subscribers.  So even though we think we are the most important people on earth, we aren't.

I very much doubt you will ever be able to use the App because it is for Pay-As-You-Go subscribers and from your statements, you aren't.

Mark and Dale, you seem to have some great knowledge about Dish operations, perhaps you can supply some insight into why I and some others have trouble changing our local channels.

We also have problems getting the new locals when we change our service address.  I always use chat.  About 40-60% of the time I have to start a new chat session to get the new locals to download.  The second chat session has never failed to get my new locals activated.  It is like they do something that the first contact doesn't do.  OR perhaps the "Computer System" doesn't automatically do what it is supposed to do, and a human has to intervene and issue a special command. 

Once or twice I have even had the program guide for the old locals download.

Here is an example of the script I use to change my service address.

We are in a RV and have changed our location. Please change my service address and my local channels to: 2398 W Williams Dr Phoenix Space #245C, Arizona 85027

Long ago I gave up worrying about my billing address.  Since the customer service rep screen defaults the billing address to the service address, the CRS must take an extra step to NOT change the billing address. I really don't fault low paid employees to pay close attention to small details.  Besides they are probably dinged for spending to much time with one call. 

So far I have not had a problem with Dish charging my credit card even though the wrong address is on the account.

Now, speculation about why I (and others) have problems changing locals and some others apparently don't.  Also, the process I go though to change my locals and verify that they have downloaded to my

--  I have an 8 year old receiver, a VIP 722.  Yes it has been replaced a couple of times, but I doubt the hardware or software has changed, at least as far as reacting to changing local channels. 

--  Once the CSR says they have changed my service address, I monitor my program guide for the old locals to go away, usually obvious when on the program guide screen.  Sometimes they go away in less than 5 minutes. Sometimes they don't change. After about 5-10 minutes I do a "Check Switch" test.  This almost always forces a download of a new program guide.  As I noted earlier, a couple of times the old guide is downloaded. 

-- I really think there are some glitches which keeps the change to new locals from happening w/o a human forcing a refresh.  As you have said, more than once, we RV'ers are not a big part of Dish's customer base.  So these problems would not be a high priority.

--  Perhaps the solution would be for an update to the CSR's screen to tell them to do a manual refresh (reset?).  I'm not holding my breath. 

But, hey we (my wife and I) really want the locals wherever we travel. I just deal with the irritation of getting the locals changed. 

I think it is kind of cool, to be able to receive the local channels for Fairbanks, AK when we were in Yukon, Canada up near the AK border.  Especially when we don't have cell coverage and want to see the weather for the area. 

One thing I keep in mind.  Frequently I am asked to participate in a survey after contact with a CSR.  The surveys are almost always to rate the CSR, NOT to rate the service the company gives.  No point in giving the CSR a bad rating when it is the company at fault.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

5 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I normally use chat, but I thought I would call just to see if it would work better (one time I used chat, they told me I had to call). It didn't so I will go back to using chat. I have tried various scripts. Some tell them I want to change my service address, some tell them I want to change my local channels, and some tell them both. None have constantly worked. 

We may be an incredibly small portion of their customers, but we are still customers. We deserve for them to have consistent procedures that the agents understand. 

As for using the app, what do you mean by Pay-as-you-go subscriber? I do know that when I have asked, the agents have told me that I should be able to use the app and they are confused when I tell them I don't have the option on the app.

I have been using Dish for over 13 years.  Now the process of changing Service Address started just a few years ago when DNS went away. We make 40-50 moves a year and have satellite TV every time.  We only change Locals when we have too because we left a Spot Beam which could be one day or a week or so, but we do the process often.

So why am I so much more successful?  I don't know.  I contact the same CSRs via Chat as everyone else.  I am prepared.  I have my account number, PIN number, and my script. ready when the Chat starts.  Having the account number and PIN shortens the process a whole lot.

My script say Change the Service Address and the Locals associated with that Service Address and I clearly state not to change the Billing Address.  The Billing Address counts as t sets the sales tax for that address.  Your script doesn't say that.

My method of having all the information available means a Chat of only a couple of minutes, well within keeping the CSR call rate up.

The Locals change usually occur in less than 5 minutes.  I can't remember the last time I did a Switch Check to cause the Guide to update.  Mostly because with a Hopper, a Switch Check won't make the directory update happen any faster.

My courtesy with the CSR starts during the Chat.  So if I am using the same CSRs as you and I get totally different results, the issue isn't what I am doing.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

2 minutes ago, cshrader said:

As for using the app, what do you mean by Pay-as-you-go subscriber? I do know that when I have asked, the agents have told me that I should be able to use the app and they are confused when I tell them I don't have the option on the app.

A Pay-As-You_Go subscriber purchases his receivers  and the billing for the service is month-to-month.  Because you own the equipment, Dish doesn't not have to count on recovering the equipment monthly, therefore you can turn PAYG on and off without penalties.

I wish Dish would have a script to explain the whole business about the MyDish App and who can and cannot use it.  There are legal reasons that changing Service Address by the App is limited.  But as often as this has been discussed on this and numerous threads, trying to explain this whole story would eat up significant CSR time with no benefit.

When I first had to use changing my Service Address, after DNS went away, I was concerned.  And for a month, it was a little rocky.  But then it smoothed out.  I doubt I would use the MyDish App even if I could.  The Chat system works so well. 

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

The chat system has always been my go-to service address change, although I do sometimes use the app now as well. I would guess about 90% of the time, the CSR's have gotten my changes right on the first try, with just an occasional failure to update the guide when they forgot to set the correct flag. More commonly, they forget to uncheck the default screen setting, and my billing address gets changed as well, but that's simple to fix with the MyDish account. But as I said, 90% of the time they get it all right.

For Scott: I have a note to myself on my pre-written script for the Roanoke DMA to remind me its western arc only. "Fool me once... ;)

Dutch

21 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

.......My courtesy with the CSR starts during the Chat.  So if I am using the same CSRs as you and I get totally different results, the issue isn't what I am doing.

I can understand that some people can be discourteous.  With a simple chat request to change the service address it is hard for me to understand how someone could be discourteous. Personally I end my chat with a thank you for your assistance and for them to have a good day.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX