remoandiris

Changing DISH service address using your MYDish account

So, you can't request certain locals?

Good point.  Most of the time when we travel, I start a chat session to change locals to a city that has the largest coverage, or a city which has coverage at the place we are going to be. 

For example when we go to Big Bend National Park, we get good coverage from the Odessa locals, so sending an address in Odessa, TX with a chat session may work best.  Or when we go to Oregon we want the Portland locals, since they cover from Vancouver, BC, Canada, to about 90-100 miles into northern CA, NW to almost Spokane, WA and west to close to the OR, ID border.

Picking a different address can be handy.  We are in the KOA is Dayton and would you believe, the two scraggly trees at the end of the site make it impossible to get the ground tripod to get 129.  And guess where the Dayton Locals are?  Both SD and HD are on 129.   

So I picked Decatur, IN, our next stop. We are well within the Fort Wayne spot beam.  We are not getting some of the HD stuff on 129 but we are getting Locals in HD.

If you would read what I said, I can hit the WA with the dish.  The issue was Dayton OH. EA was not an option.

Unless you were talking about the 61.5 option for Fort Wayne.

Edited by Mark and Dale Bruss

23 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Thanks for this very informative update.  Do you own your receivers?

Yes, I got them on Amazon.  I've got VIP 211Z's.

11 hours ago, LindaH said:

So, you can't request certain locals?

When we head south for the winter, we change to the Tucson locals once we hit a certain area in Nevada (we can receive Tucson locals as far north as Pioche and as far west as Pahrump).  Going back north in the spring, we change to our home locals once we reach a certain area.  If the app gives you locals only from your current location based on the location from the phone, that would totally screw up our system. ;)

Of course, for us, it's a moot point since we are not fulltimers any longer and have a home account, not a Dish Outdoors account, so wouldn't be able to use the app, anyway.  However, I find using Chat to be quick and easy.

I suppose you could do a chat or phone call with a rep and give them an address in the local area you want to receive.  We are Lake Hartwell on the GA/SC border, on the SC side.  When we got here, we were still getting the Atlanta channels, so we were still within the spotbeam range for those.  But, we wanted to be able to get local weather forecasts, so we did the location change to get the local SC stations.

22 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

If you would read what I said, I can hit the WA with the dish.  The issue was Dayton OH. EA was not an option.

Unless you were talking about the 61.5 option for Fort Wayne.

I meant that the Ft Wayne locals on 61.5 can be received anywhere in the lower 48 states.

17 hours ago, chindog said:

I suppose you could do a chat or phone call with a rep and give them an address in the local area you want to receive.  We are Lake Hartwell on the GA/SC border, on the SC side.  When we got here, we were still getting the Atlanta channels, so we were still within the spotbeam range for those.  But, we wanted to be able to get local weather forecasts, so we did the location change to get the local SC stations.

Yes, if you're changing locals via chat or phone, you can give them any service address you want. You need to be within the spot beam for those locals to view them of course, unless it's one of the few DMA's with CONUS locals on one of the sats. For instance, when the hurricanes were causing all the problems in FL, GA, SC, etc., we changed our service address to St Marys, GA for the Jacksonville locals on the 77 sat while we were parked in upstate NY. That gave us much better first hand coverage than we could get from the NY locals. Using the phone app, you have no option to select which locals, which takes away the option to switch before you get there as well.