Changing DISH service address using your MYDish account

No, NOT with the MyDish app on your phone.

And I don't know if it will work, it is just something I noticed today.

Under "My Profile", there is the "Address" section, showing the service and billing addresses.  You can't change the service address, but you CAN change the billing address, and then check a box to also make it the service address.  

Next time I move, I will change the billing address to the new location and click the box, changing the service address.  Then I will immediately change the billing address back to my home address but not tick the box to change the service address.  It "should" work, but we'll see.

If it doesn't work, using chat to change the service address has been pretty easy, most of the time.

Edited by remoandiris

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The check box label under the billing address is "Same as Service Address".

All checking that box will do is change your billing address to match your service address. It will not change your service address. Sorry...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Today on my Chat to change my Service Address, the CSR offered to sign me up for a Protection Plan.  I denied that because I has a Dish VP absolutely tell me that since my house has wheels, there is no way I could have a Protection Plan.

Next the CSR told me that I could change my Service Address myself with the MyDish app.  The CSR was very adamant and said I needed to update  the APP.  I told her my account may be marked for Outdoor Dish but I am not a Pay-As-You-Go subscriber and therefore the feature is not enabled for me.

I'll just using Chat.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

58 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Today on my Chat to change my Service Address, the CSR offered to sign me up for a Protection Plan.  I denied that because I has a Dish VP absolutely tell me that since my house has wheels, there is no way I could have a Protection Plan.

Next the CSR told me that I could change my Service Address myself with the MyDish app.  The CSR was very adamant and said I needed to update  the APP.  I told her my account may be marked for Outdoor Dish but I am not a Pay-As-You-Go subscriber and therefore the feature is not enabled for me.

I'll just using Chat.

I also have a Outdoor Dish account designation and can't change my locals with the app.  I had a longtime DIRT member tell me that it has nothing to do with PayAsYouGo and that it is because I have a leased receiver.  I don't think anyone at DISH actually knows what's going on.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

And it is getting very frustrating now as we are moving about once a week and the reps on chat are telling me I can do this myself on the app and then continually argue with me when I tell them it’s not available to me yet. 

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

9 minutes ago, Rover said:

And it is getting very frustrating now as we are moving about once a week and the reps on chat are telling me I can do this myself on the app and then continually argue with me when I tell them it’s not available to me yet. 

Vicki

Why be frustrated?  It takes two to argue.  Tell them you don't have a smartphone.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We are fulltime, and have been for almost six years, and have had DISH for almost the entire time.  We got the email from DISH a little over a month ago, and I installed the app on the phone.  We have been traveling all that time, and the app has yet to work for changing our local channels.  I go through the sequence in the app, and the moment I click on the 'Manage Locals' button, the app crashes.  Half the time, even the chat feature online fails to work also, so I have to make the call to get the locals changed.  I hope that eventually they get the feature working, as it would make life much easier.

I've never had a problem with the Dish chat service other than occasionally with the CSR on the other end, but since the last update, the app  does hang on me quite often when I hit "Manage Locals". I hope they get it fixed soon as well...

Dutch

On 5/24/2018 at 11:17 AM, Rover said:

Vicki

How far are you moving each time you change locations?  You only have to change your service address IF you move out of the local channel spot beam.   Here is a link to see a map for Dish Network's spot beam coverage:  https://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworkmarkets&sub

For example, Denver's spot beam covers almost all of Colorado, Portland, OR covers all but the far eastern part of OR, most of Washington to include Vancover island in Canada, and down to about 90 miles into norther CA.  Even the eastern cities go a 100 or more miles from the city. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

It all depends where you are.  leaving Texas, we often can do three moves on one Service Address.  Coming through Kentucky into Ohio, the last three moves required Service Address changes.

Ran into an interesting situation.  Where we are useing Cincinnatti, the HD Locals are on satellite 77 and yet my Hybrid EA tripod dish only receives 61.5 an 72.  Have to switch to the WA.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

4 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Ran into an interesting situation.  Where we are useing Cincinnatti, the HD Locals are on satellite 77 and yet my Hybrid EA tripod dish only receives 61.5 an 72.  Have to switch to the WA.

And that's one of the reasons why I'll stick with DPP triple LNB's, a DPH42, and our 1K4 dish if/when we move up to Hopper 3's from our two 2's.

Dutch

For the very few times this could happen, I just prefer not to interject the DPH42 hardware into the tripod system. And I prefer the DPP 1000.2 for its size, it stows well in the Bounder.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

• 2 weeks later...

Using the MyDish app to change service address while on the road does work, however, there are still a few glitches in the system.

On May 31 I attempted to change my locals from Arizona to Oregon using the Outdoor section of the app. The app, as well as the automated email responses, indicated the change happened correctly but the locals didn't show up. By June 2 the locals did show up and all was good. Today I again changed them, this time to Seattle, and everything went perfectly with the new locals showing up within about 30 min.

I think the problem the first time was that the app had difficulty sending my receiver a re-authorization to force the change to take place and my receiver had to wait for the regularly scheduled re-authorization to take place, usually around midnight.

Bottom line is making this change via the MyDish app is a work in progress and Dish is still making adjustments to the process. This according to the support tech I was working with via email.

Ron

2005 Dolphin 5342 LE Motorhome

2011 Honda CRV

Since Dish still hasn't enabled the service address feature on my app I'm still doing it the old fashioned way.  However, the last couple of moves I went to their Facebook page and did it via the message function.  I think the response time is even faster than it is using the online chat on their website.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

8 hours ago, Ron & Donna said:

Using the MyDish app to change service address while on the road does work, however, there are still a few glitches in the system.

On May 31 I attempted to change my locals from Arizona to Oregon using the Outdoor section of the app. The app, as well as the automated email responses, indicated the change happened correctly but the locals didn't show up. By June 2 the locals did show up and all was good. Today I again changed them, this time to Seattle, and everything went perfectly with the new locals showing up within about 30 min.

I think the problem the first time was that the app had difficulty sending my receiver a re-authorization to force the change to take place and my receiver had to wait for the regularly scheduled re-authorization to take place, usually around midnight.

Bottom line is making this change via the MyDish app is a work in progress and Dish is still making adjustments to the process. This according to the support tech I was working with via email.

Ron

I use the following method to force a download of the new program guide:

From the Menu page, go the the "point dish" screen (that is 6-1-1 from the main menu page).  Next select "Check Switch" then "Test".  Once the test is complete select "done" a couple of times then "cancel" until you get to the searching for signal screen.  One it finds the signal for all the satellites it should switch to "downloading program guide".  If the new guide doesn't come down I wait about 5 more minutes and try the process again.  If it still doesn't come down then I start a chat session stating I have changed service address and the new locals are not downloading and requesting they send a reset or what ever to the receiver to allow it to download the new program guide.

Just unplugging the receiver from power doesn't force a download of the program guide. 

I dislike waiting for 30 minutes to an hour only to find out the locals didn't change.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

6 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Lately, the Locals channel change is seldom more than 5 minutes.

I'm curious, does that 5 minutes mean you are starting with the satellite dish up and receiving the non-local channels and within 5 minutes the old local channels in the "guide" are gone, the new locals are there and you have the new program guide ready to start selecting local programming to record?

I have had a few times that the old locals have shown as no longer available in the guide within 5 minutes(sometimes within 2 minutes, but it always takes my receiver much longer to get the new program guide.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

The dish is up and we are receiving non-Locals.  Locals say you are out of service, which is the only reason we are changing the Service Address.

The new Locals channels are present in less than 5 minutes.  The building of the EPG (Electronic Program Guide) takes some time.  In fact, since we doing this after arriving at a new location in the afternoon, we have to insure that the new Locals are set to record even without the EPG.  You can record a time slot without the EPG program.  It seems that PTAT needs an hour or so for the EPG being filled in before it will schedule the DVR.

Before the evening is done, the EPG will be filled in. One disadvantage of the Hopper 3 is that unlike previous receivers, forcing a Switch Check will not cause the EPG to be filled in any faster.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I had to chat with Dish yesterday to get our locals changed to our new location.  Once that was done, the rep asked if there was anything else, so I asked why I can't make the change on the App.  She came back in a little bit and said that even though we are Full time RVers and otherwise meet all the criteria, we are not on a Pay ahead type account?, but they are working to eventually get all of us in the system to be able to use the App to make the changes.  She said she does not know how long that will take.

Below is a quote from an email exchange with Dish.com.  Apparently I need to be on a "Pay-As-You-Go account.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Due to DMA restrictions in place be Neilson and the FCC, only Pay-As-You-Go accounts at this time are able to use the MyDISH to update the locals. You do have the option to chat with an agent through the app to have your locals updated if you prefer, instead of having to call in.

Another option that is available to you, is an over the air antenna. This would pick up locals that can be scanned into your receiver for the area you might be located in. One other option available is our Distant Networks, these are the four major networks based our of Los Angeles.

If you would be interested in the Distant Networks, please let me know. I can go over the requirements with you.

Brian A., Advanced Account Support
Survey Response Team | Christiansburg, VA
9:00AM - 8:00 PM EDT Tues/Wed/Thu/Sat

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I talked to Brian a couple of days ago.  The DMA reason was not brought up.

I had assumed that using the app, the geographic location was derived from the smartphone locator.  If that is the case then there should be no concern of using the wrong DMA.

For those of you that have the app capability (Dutch), does the app ask for you to enter where you are or is it assumed?

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I just changed locations using the app for the first time yesterday.  I am NOT a pay as you go customer, but I am a full time RVer, and do not have home service.  A month or so ago, when I was talking with a rep on the phone about changing my service location, she said my account was showing up as a home service account.  I asked her to change it to a Dish Outdoors account.  She did, and shortly afterward, after a My Dish app update, the ability to update the service address appeared on my app.

The service address update on the app pulls my location from my phone.  I don't have to enter a street address.  Then, I had to enter a code from a screen on the TV.  You have to tell the app which receiver you are using (I have two receivers). To get the code, you press the menu button twice.  The code changes every 5 minutes, so you have to do the update while the code is active.  Once that is done, the locals are updated within a few minutes.  This time, it took about 5 minutes to switch from the old locals (Atlanta), to the new ones (Greenville, SC).  The program guide didn't download fully for the locals immedietly, though.  It was there for everything after the overnight update.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

1 hour ago, chindog said:

I just changed locations using the app for the first time yesterday.  I am NOT a pay as you go customer, but I am a full time RVer, and do not have home service.  A month or so ago, when I was talking with a rep on the phone about changing my service location, she said my account was showing up as a home service account.  I asked her to change it to a Dish Outdoors account.  She did, and shortly afterward, after a My Dish app update, the ability to update the service address appeared on my app.

The service address update on the app pulls my location from my phone.  I don't have to enter a street address.  Then, I had to enter a code from a screen on the TV.  You have to tell the app which receiver you are using (I have two receivers). To get the code, you press the menu button twice.  The code changes every 5 minutes, so you have to do the update while the code is active.  Once that is done, the locals are updated within a few minutes.  This time, it took about 5 minutes to switch from the old locals (Atlanta), to the new ones (Greenville, SC).  The program guide didn't download fully for the locals immedietly, though.  It was there for everything after the overnight update.

Thanks for this very informative update.  Do you own your receivers?

13 hours ago, chindog said:

The service address update on the app pulls my location from my phone. 

So, you can't request certain locals?

When we head south for the winter, we change to the Tucson locals once we hit a certain area in Nevada (we can receive Tucson locals as far north as Pioche and as far west as Pahrump).  Going back north in the spring, we change to our home locals once we reach a certain area.  If the app gives you locals only from your current location based on the location from the phone, that would totally screw up our system. ;)

Of course, for us, it's a moot point since we are not fulltimers any longer and have a home account, not a Dish Outdoors account, so wouldn't be able to use the app, anyway.  However, I find using Chat to be quick and easy.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul