TSLB Install Finished! Pics of how it was done.

RandyA

After gratefully receiving all the parts, pieces and transportation to the ECR from some fellow HDT'ers the task of assembling the hitch, skinning back the wood-framed aluminum bed on our Volvo, removing the old Reese hitch, opening up the hitch access hole to expose the frame, drilling 5/8" bolt holes and putting the bed back together I am happy to share that the TSLB install is complete.  What I thought would take a "few" days turned into two weeks.  But, my work days were short - not more than 5 hours and all the heavy lifting was done with my 1955 Ferguson 35 and front loader.  I have a lower back "problem" and when I started hurting I quit working and took a nap.  Old folks can get away with doing that 😀.

9tOUtypl.jpg

The 1/2" plate I had was about 3" too short to span across the frame to the OEM hitch mounting angle iron holes.  Fortunately, he-who-never-throws-anything-away still had the original hitch mounting frame buried under a rotting pile of leaves in a remote scrap metal pile on the "back forty".  I welded and bolted the 1/2" plate to this frame making a perfect mount.

2FvVL4Ml.jpg

I don't have a mag drill so the 5/8" holes were drilled with a B&D 1/2" corded drill.  I was turned over and under several times 🤸‍♂️ doing this when the drill bit would catch near the bottom of the hole.  That part of the job hurt 😰

BVX9Ld2l.jpg

The loader on the tractor was used to lift the assembly and gently place it into the opening on the Volvo.

SjaSNa7l.jpg

i9ox07Fl.jpg

Once the assembly was bolted to the OEM outside frame mounted angle iron rail the pressure treated wood framing and aluminum decking/trim were reconfigured and closed in.  BTW - use of stainless steel hardware is a must in PT lumber.  Larger bolts through the 4x4 members are galvanized.  Aluminum to aluminum fasteners are either 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum pop rivets.

LQi4X5Gl.jpg

Finished height is 52" from the pavement to the top of the hitch head.  Perfect for the pin box on our recently acquired Keystone Cambridge.

PTmCa0vl.jpg

HTMiA5Ll.jpg

This assembly is not something I would want to do a second time - especially by myself.  But, if you are on a limited budget and own a HDT it is what you do.  Thank goodness for front loaders and great friends in the HDT community.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Where do you plug it in? Or is that one 12 vdc??

(Well done Randy)

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Randy looks great.to bad I didn't know you could have used some help, I am less then 5 hours from you and would have come down to help.....If anything with the heavy stuff and would have considered it as a Learning Expierence

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Looks SWEET Randy.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy Randy,

Glad to hear your back up and running again, looks like you did a great job on the hitch install, having that tractor sure came in handy.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Great job Randy! If I had known I could have gotten you a mag based drill so next time it will save that wrap around! I left this afternoon for the Pottery camp ground but had a spring hanger break both welds and i sat on 664/64 until a service truck got there and made a temp weld repair and then I slowly towed back to the house. This will be the 1st Memorial Day weekend that we haven't spent at a CG somewhere. Oh well. Now to get it fixed. That will start tomorrow or Tuesday. The good news is it could have been MUCH worse! So for now you take care and will see you on the road some time.   Pat

The Old Sailor

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I left this afternoon for the Pottery camp ground but had a spring hanger break both welds and i sat on 664/64 until a service truck got there and made a temp weld repair and then I slowly towed back to the house.

The Old Sailor

Been there, done that - 5 times.  It is called Lippert Frame Incompetence.  Too small of a hanger, welding is done by non-professionals.  Two times on the 2005 Prowler TT.  Three times on the CC not counting the pin box.  We need to talk sometime about adding cross frame bracing and supports for the hangers to your trailer.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy   Will do!!!  I don't know how long I'll be without. The best way to fix it may be with me doing it. As I talk to Mesa Ridge I'm sure they will tell me it's Lipperts problem. I start the process tomorrow instead of doing nothing in Williamsburg. Will keep you posted. Have a good weekend.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived