keeping bugs and rodents out

Hello everyone

I have a 2003 Ford V10 ( four winds hurricane ). The RV will be in storage for few months , what are the best ways to prevent rodents and bugs from entering / or infesting in the RV ? Are there better spots to use the traps? Also will it be more difficult for rodents to enter if I do not use the jacks ?  

There is no best way but keeping the slides in and spraying with HOME DEFENSE helps. One fellow says place Moth Balls at points of entry after you Steel Wool the cracks where pipe and electrical may penetrate the Floor.  One last thing I did is crawl under the RV with a can of Expanding Foam and hit the holes.  I also generally set a bug bomb off and place somekind of DECON product in storage area..

Clay Just unhooked the Fifth Wheel last week til after July 4 and normally this time of years isn't as bad as Fall.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I have had very little problem of that sort since I went through the RV and sealed all of the openings where things pass through with expanding foam. Nothing I know of will be 100% but I've not had any mouse problems since. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dryer sheets spread around inside and down in storage areas would probably help keep mice out about as good as anything.  And don't forget your engine compartment because if stored for long enough in different parts of the country there has been stories of critters getting up in there and chewing on some important wiring.  We always threw bags of moth balls around outside when we had a home in Florida because the snakes hate them.  If I used them for a stored RV I would only use them under and/or around it.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I have a Northstar truck camper.  There are no openings that would allow a rodent to enter.  In fact I am puzzled about bugs that sometimes enter.  My camper has been closed up all winter and I did see a couple of small ants and a spider.  I put out bait and the ants are now gone.  I have not seen any spiders except the one I killed.

I am curious about larger units.  I cannot imagine why there would be any entry areas big enough to let a rodent enter.  I guess around the slides if left open.  Out of curiosity I wonder what other places are open to the outside.

if the area is dry.

but a case of comit.

sprinkle heavly under. and a very heavy line around the rv.

as well as sealing and bug bombing.

comit is only good for crawlers. they do not like walking on powdered bleach. nothing is 100% so do layers of things. most should stop them

On 5/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, JimK said:

There are no openings that would allow a rodent to enter

ha ha ha ha ha ha   Haven't you ever watched cartoons ?  Seriously, while it might be less likely on yours if they want in they can find a way and not just mice. I have had issues with chipmonks a few times (re chip and dale cartoons.) I won't convince you if you are not open minded or have never had experience with this and I really hope you never do.

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

........ if they want in they can find a way ......

I think the difference is that I have a truck camper. It is currently off the truck so I was able to inspect it carefully.  The sides are fiberglass and the roof and bottom are heavy gauge aluminum.  All of the joints are tight and sealed.  Windows and vents and other compartments are all sealed with rubber, water tight gaskets.  Other openings are for the electric cable to the truck, the drain and there are 3 openings for propane.  Propane lines enter for the furnace and there is another entry point for the water heater and stove.  All of these opening are sealed with hard plastic gaskets. 

It sounds like there are design and quality issues for some larger RVs.  Do the manufacturers omit the gaskets around electrical or propane lines or other openings? 

I will agree again based on your description that yours may be less likely than many but based on what I have actually observed 1st hand ,not just heard, I still believe it can happen. It is amazing to watch. Additionally there is the consideration of any electrical wires or soft hose that enter your rig that can be chewed on without entering the rig.

Archived