Parts Numbers

SuiteSuccess

Is there anyway to look up parts numbers online based on our VIN or make/model/engine without calling dealer or parts store?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Was wanting to know just for general info, but more specifically the air filter reference you gave me earlier in the “air filter” post.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, DesertMiner said:

Yes......

Here is one but its a bit limited in scope.......https://www.gates.com/search-by-vin

What part numbers are you looking for?

Gates lookup is handy - thanks for posting.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

2 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Most Volvo parts have the part number located somewhere on the part.  Just go from there......you may still have to go by the dealer to get the correct part for you truck. Lots of "googling" will usually get you what you want.

I guess what I’m asking, is the system used by dealers or parts stores proprietary software or is it generally available anywhere on the web where I could look it up myself?  Seems even auto parts stores like O’Reilly and NAPA can get almost any part based just on my VIN.  Reason I ask is I feel kind of guilty calling up my dealer (or other parts source) guy so he can look up a part # so I can find it cheaper on the internet.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

15 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I guess what I’m asking, is the system used by dealers or parts stores proprietary software or is it generally available anywhere on the web where I could look it up myself?

The OEMs and parts companies keep those systems locked up very tightly, for precisely that reason -- people like you, me, and other folks like us that are comfortable trying to specify our own parts are able to "shop" them too easily these days if they allowed that information to reside in the public domain.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

So my Legacy air seat hissing air out the lumbar valve when I am in CA. I call Legacy as the online diagram has different  valve. Nice person there tells me the valve is the old style and here is the p/n. I dutifully go on line and get a hit at “HD Parts HQ”. I order it. Day or two later get an email from a person there the part is 5 weeks. Ok order it if you can mail to my summer camp in Canada. Oh yep sure we can mail it. This was March 8. 

May 14 I haven’t received the part and my guy does not answer email. I called my KW dealer 5 in stock $15 less than ballyhoo on line Headquarters...plugged it in leak gone. 

So anyways don’t be scared to call a KW or Peterbilt dealer for common parts used on heavy trucks. Batteries brakes air line belts filters seat parts seals etc

I’ve dealt with 4 other KW dealers in addition to the one I used to work for above and all are totally professional...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived