Insurance for Full Timer- Close to the Gulf

So after being shut down for full time coverage from Progressive and USAA, I thought I would be going with Geico for RV insurance.

When I told them I’d be living close to the Gulf in Florida(Pensacola/Milton area) he let me know they can not write policies for locations around the gulf coast. He recommended finding a local insurance broker in that area. Anybody have any suggestions for this situation? I’m nervous any local broker will be very expensive. Are they any big insurance companies that may accommodate this situation? Also I need coverage for the next month or so while I’m in Texas before heading that way. Thanks for any advance!

Didn’t see a post covering this topic but if there is one sorry!

We are full time and are insured with Geico. I never told them one place I would be because I really don't know where we may be tomorrow for sure. In my opinion you should use the address you use for mail.  If it is in Tx. then use it. If in SD use it. When you live in a RV,  you should not have to pinpoint where you will spend most of your time. That is the whole purpose of living in a RV full time. We are escapees and use the Livingston, Tx. address. Just my suggestion.

Bill & Jean O'Dell with Lucy

2014 Tiffin Phaeton QBH

2018 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 

Well, there are full timers that travel then there are people that live in RVs full time.  I am guessing if you live in a RV permanently parked someplace in gulf coast, or anywhere down there during hurricane season then insurance could be an expensive proposition.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

22 hours ago, NavyKid said:

So after being shut down for full time coverage from Progressive and USAA, I thought I would be going with Geico for RV insurance.

Not sure what your issue was with Progressive, but we are full-timers and are insured by them.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

23 hours ago, NavyKid said:

When I told them I’d be living close to the Gulf in Florida(Pensacola/Milton area) he let me know they can not write policies for locations around the gulf coast. … Also I need coverage for the next month or so while I’m in Texas before heading that way. 

I'm confused.  You say that you need a policy for where you are living in Florida, but you need another policy while you're in Texas?

What is your domicile state (where are your vehicles registered, what is the address on your driver's license, where are you registered to vote)?  That's the address you should use for insurance purposes, and you don't need new policies as you move from state to state.

But you also state that you are living in Florida.  Is that on a permanent basis, or are you just a visitor to the state?  If it's on a permanent basis, then, yes, everything should be in Florida (driver's licenses, vehicle registration, etc.).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I’m currently stationed in Texas but will be heading to my new duty station in west Florida at the end of May. Due to being in the military I’m not required to register vehicles, get a new drivers license, etc while I’m in that state. I will be in Florida for the next 9 months or so training.

My drivers license has my parents old address in California. I think the issue with Progressive was that state I’d be keeping the trailer in(Florida and/or Texas). 

I will check out those other companies thanks!

I am also confused. We are fulltimers and our "permanent" address is Livingston. We stay in Phoenix for 4-5 months a year but we don't need to tell the insurance company where we are. Why do you think you need to tell them that? If your permanent address is CA I would think that is the address you give them. Am I missing something unique to the military?

Do they somehow think it's a mobile home rather than an RV? Or do they think it's otherwise somehow immovable?

I have fulltimer insurance with Foremost; my current PMB (mail service) address is Green Cove Springs and my former PMB was north Tampa, which is mighty close to the Gulf.

I don't think Geico offers fulltimer insurance but farms it out to Foremost.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

On 5/22/2018 at 7:38 AM, docj said:

Not sure what your issue was with Progressive, but we are full-timers and are insured by them.

This ^^^

cid_image001_jpg01CA166C.jpg

Patience & Wisdom - two very important virtues

Well do you specify with them you are full timers? Idk, they asked if it would be stationary or if I would be on the road. I said I’m a full timer, will be stationary for 6-9 months, then they asked where I’d be keeping it. 

No, not stationary. I think that's what got you. Practically no one would insure a stationary rv/mobile home in Pensacola but it wouldn't be any problem if it wasn't "stationary."   Simplest seems to be to insure in California.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

8 hours ago, SWharton said:

I don't even know why the insurance company would ask that question..............We have never been asked when we applied for insurance.

Regardless of where a vehicle is registered and whether or not you are fulltime RVers, companies have a right to ask where the vehicle is "garaged", in other words, is there a place where it is more likely to be found than other places?

For example, we have two cars, both of which have SD registration but only one of which is fitted to tow behind the MH.  After discussion with Miller Insurance and Progressive, we agreed to insure the non-toad vehicle as being TX garaged because it will spend its summers on our property in TX while we take the other as our toad and it will be with us in TX during the winter.  This means that we'll pay more in insurance premiums because TX rates are higher than SD, but Progressive will be ratcheting down some of the coverage during the time we're away and the vehicle will just be parked.

By having the one car rated as garaged in TX means I don't have to worry if there's another Hurricane Harvey and it gets thousands of dollars of damage while weathering the storm.  That's what happened to our CR-V during Harvey and we were fortunate that no one at our then insurance company asked us why it happened to be sitting, unattended in TX rather than in SD where it was registered and garaged.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived