Maine

hdrider

We have this year pretty much figured out but we plan to no the New England states in 2019. We will be leaving from Arizona April 1st or some time after depending on weather going north. Question, any certain route from AZ you might recommend to avoid the largest of cities? Should we shoot straight to the east coast of Maine and work our way up or is there anything worth while to see on the west coast of Maine?

We will not be on a time frame as long as we are out of the area before the snow flies, headed back to AZ.

We have been on the road for almost 6 years and have avoided that area because of the talk of huge crowds and toll roads but it's an area we just have to see while living this life style.

Thanks in advance 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

If it were us, we would amble up the West Coast during April then turn east and take US Highway 2 clear across to Saint Ignace, Michigan.  At that point you can decide whether to go up into Canada at the Salt Sainte Marie, then travel across and re-enter  US near Champlain, New York and follow US Highway 2 until it ends near Houlton, Maine.      Or you can go down into Michigan, through Ohio , into New York and decide from there which way to go into Maine. 

I WOULD NOT head directly east from Arizona into the Midwest in April - - unless you really want to dodge storms and tornados.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We spent pretty much all summer exploring Maine and the eastern part of Canada. I really never thought of Maine as having a west coast? Along the east shore is Acadia NP which is a do not miss attraction. We also spent a good deal of time exploring the area around the Bay of Fundy. The Main coast has many miles of shoreline dut to its rugged geology and most of that is scenic. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We were up there for Escapades 2 years ago and spent from June thru October cruising the same areas you're thinking of. We didn't have any problems with crowds and we avoid Interstates wherever possible so didn't have toll road problems. The whole area is gorgeous and you have to see the fall colors there at least once they are spectacular.

We blogged our experiences starting in San Diego in April http://banbrv.blogspot.com/2016/04/heading-east.html. and ending when we headed South in mid October http://banbrv.blogspot.com/2016/10/headed-south.html   

Maine is one of our favorite places and although we've been there several times in the past we will always want to go back and explore it some more. Hope this helps.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

I would pick up I-40 and head east to a little past Knoxville where you pick up I-81.  Take I-81 to I-84 in Scranton, PA.  From there take I-84 and I-90 to Boston. 

That should put you in Boston about mid April.   If you are comfortable running your RV on 15-20 amp service, a really great place to Camp is Wompatuck SP a little south of Boston.  Since you would be there in April you won't need to run your air conditioner and 20 amp service should keep the rest of stuff going.  The great thing about the SP is that it is about a 3-5 mile drive to the train/subway station taking you into Boston. 

You can easily spend 10 days to 2 weeks exploring Boston.  Salem, MA is worth a stop. 

Coming into Acadia NP in early May is a good time to miss the crowds.  Some RV Parks along the coast don't open until mid May.  The interior of the state probably doesn't open until June ??

Have you considered touring the Atlantic Provenience's in Canada:  Specifically New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia.  

Additionally, a 4-7 week trip to Newfoundland is a great place to visit.  Don't go to NL before about July 1st.  A NL native told us, June in NL is cold, foggy and rainy.  The cold ocean currents from the north hits the warmer Gulf Stream and makes a mess of weather.

Basically this is what we did in 2008.  We left Texas in late March, stopped in Lancaster, PA, then Boston, Maine, NB, NS, and NL.  We spent 7 weeks in NL and loved it.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Western Maine is very rural and Beautiful, Kezar lake in Lovell Maine is a gem. Although it is almost completely private property around the lake, with a good portion of it owned by Stephen King. White National forest has some great camping opportunities in the unorganized territory as they call it and further north from that the unorganized territory becomes plantations instead of townships, All very beautiful areas. 

If your into canoeing, Kayaking or fishing you have Moosehead Lake, Rangely Lake and several other smaller lakes that you could enjoy as well. Trout and land locked salmon are also abundant in this area. You couldn't go wrong visiting the western side of Maine, Plus you could always just skip on over to Vermont also. Residents of Maine whom don't live along the coast generally call that area the Down East part of Maine. 

That's all I got on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for staying south until first part of May then north to New England. We winter in the Rio Grande Valley and return to Maine in late May or early June. Black fly season is sometimes over by then. 

Routing: 1 is the classic I84 to I90 to I495 to I95. Pros shortest, didn't say quickest and expensive. 2 is  go north in NY cross over to Vermont and then take US 2 as noted. Pros pretty ride low traffic. Cons slow. Lots of places to stop and play tourist. In Maine stopping spots - coming from Mt Washington area(cog railroad ride, dry camp in parking lot), Sebago Lake area, Portland area, Boothbay, Camden/ Rockland, Ellsworth/Acadia, then along the Downeast coast reversing falls in Pembroke, Machias,  Campobello Island. Then cross over into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Returning south to follow the color change in late September. Follow the color change south all the way to Alabama. Then west to your winter roost.

The traffic in the northeast is full roads with all road work done in the summer. I have coined a word to describe this rolling parking lot -Slinky. Stretches out and you get back to speed and then  it retracts and your brakes get a workout. 

Do not cross the Hudson River south of Newburgh, New York. Unless your willing to part with an arm or a leg for tolls. If you are going come from the Washington DC area then go east through Annapolis then north on US301 to I95 in Wilmington, DE. Stay on I95 through Philadelphia. Cross the Delaware River and exit onto NJ31 to US206 to I287 to I87(north to Newburgh) and I84. Last time a friend went north on the New Jersey Turnpike the toll he spent $50,  coach and tow.

Just some thoughts to help with planning. 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Well, if you're into ships and such like, on your way to Maine don't miss Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.  Also, in Groton, CT there is the Submarine Force Museum (near the submarine base) where you can tour the Nautilus.  They are building a new Coast Guard Museum in the same general area, but the current Coast Guard museum, at the nearby Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT is still open to the public.

The USS Massachusetts, at Battleship Cove, Fall River, MA is also worth a stop.  Largest collection of WW2 ships in the world.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 6:13 AM, Al F said:

That should put you in Boston about mid April.   If you are comfortable running your RV on 15-20 amp service, a really great place to Camp is Wompatuck SP a little south of Boston.  Since you would be there in April you won't need to run your air conditioner and 20 amp service should keep the rest of stuff going.  The great thing about the SP is that it is about a 3-5 mile drive to the train/subway station taking you into Boston.

I think the OP has a 42' Tiffin.  I looked at the website for Wompatuck State Park, and it didn't show any sites that are 42 feet long, and only 5 that are 40 feet long, and it's apparently heavily wooded.  Might not be a great option.

22 hours ago, Blues said:

I think the OP has a 42' Tiffin.  I looked at the website for Wompatuck State Park, and it didn't show any sites that are 42 feet long, and only 5 that are 40 feet long, and it's apparently heavily wooded.  Might not be a great option.

When we were there in mid April 2008 in our 40' DP we were in a site which would easily handle a 45-50 foot rig.  Other sites were available as well.  While the area was wooded the CG roads were wide and the campsites were large. 

When we arrived about April 15th the park had just opened, but not publicized as open.  It would be best to verify the park would be open before driving to the park.  

The reservation system (ReserveAmerica) doesn't show reservations available until sometime in May.  HOWEVER being the reservation site is Reserve America, it is normal that the website only shows campsites that can be reserved.  Many campgrounds on that website either don't show campsites which are first come first serve or they sometimes show them as unavailable.

I do have to add:  This type of campground in not for a lot of folks.  This CG is in a wooded area.  In April or early May it should be very peaceful and secluded.  Many people want or need to have all the amenities of a upscale RV Park.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

2 hours ago, Al F said:

When we were there in mid April 2008 in our 40' DP we were in a site which would easily handle a 45-50 foot rig.  Other sites were available as well.  While the area was wooded the CG roads were wide and the campsites were large. 

When we arrived about April 15th the park had just opened, but not publicized as open.  It would be best to verify the park would be open before driving to the park.  

The reservation system (ReserveAmerica) doesn't show reservations available until sometime in May.  HOWEVER being the reservation site is Reserve America, it is normal that the website only shows campsites that can be reserved.  Many campgrounds on that website either don't show campsites which are first come first serve or they sometimes show them as unavailable.

I do have to add:  This type of campground in not for a lot of folks.  This CG is in a wooded area.  In April or early May it should be very peaceful and secluded.  Many people want or need to have all the amenities of a upscale RV Park.

You might try www.recreation.gov . ( no reservation fees )

Goes around , comes around .

16 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Recreation and Reserve America are pretty much the same place.  Also you can only go to the one the campground uses for making reservations. 

I have been on one of the two websites looking to make reservations and have had that website directed me to the other to make the reservation.

I believe it is the campground management which decides if a reservation fee is charged or not.  Same with cancellation fees, the campground management makes that decision not Reserve America or Recreation.gov.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

1 hour ago, Al F said:

Recreation and Reserve America are pretty much the same place.  Also you can only go to the one the campground uses for making reservations. 

I have been on one of the two websites looking to make reservations and have had that website directed me to the other to make the reservation.

I believe it is the campground management which decides if a reservation fee is charged or not.  Same with cancellation fees, the campground management makes that decision not Reserve America or Recreation.gov.

You may be right ,Dear ... ;)

We use Recreation.gov and have never paid any fees . 

21 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

5 hours ago, Al F said:

5 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

You may be right ,Dear ... ;)

We use Recreation.gov and have never paid any fees . 

Try using Recreation.gov to make a reservation at "Tillicum Beach Campground" in Oregon and you will find a $10 reservation fee.  You do have to log on using your account to see the fee.  Tillicum Beach is a National Forest CG. 

I have used Recreation.gov to make reservations a some Corps of Engineers CG's and have not paid a reservation fee.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Good to know , Al . Not that we reserve very often anyway , but so far , I guess we've been lucky . And , we haven't been to that corner of the country , yet . 

We have spent a good many nights in COE and FS camps . 

Archived