Cheap places to live...

Kirk W

1 hour ago, ToddF said:

Being retired and doing what you suggested might put the situation in a different light.

It clearly should change things dramatically. Once you are retired there is no need to rush, especially if you live in your RV as you have your home with you everywhere you happen to stop. We rarely traveled more than 200 miles in a day when fulltime and we had more than one day of less than 50 miles. Today we have downsized to a small travel trailer and diesel truck and we travel for 4 to 5 hours a day at 60 mph or less. A slower pace allows you to actually see the things you usually just pass by and to do so in a more relaxed fashion. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the great aspect of the RV ...flexibility. Lots of options. Point not lost though that eventually RV travel becomes difficult or impossible and one is potentially faced with the question of where to settle down for the final chapter. MN is a good choice...probably not going to be biking, hiking, boating at the end. Spending a lot of time indoors not problematic. Gyms, mall walking, large common areas often part of these "CRCs" etc provide plenty to do. Someone else is moving the snow. Extreme heat and humidity are not good for the elderly.

I just think we are approaching the end of our Great adventure.It has been a good one. This adventure started in 2006 and we have covered all the States and over 100K miles.We never full timed and never considered  living in a RV.The Rv was our magic  carpet for our great adventure. We will no doubt downsize our S&B as it is a fairly large tri level  and sell the truck and 5th wheel. The decision is  how will we stay out of frigid Northern Ohio winters and  hot humid Florida summers. We like the part of Florida we are in near Disney world.

We shall see but the time is drawing near. Like many here one day we will say here is what we are going to do, then do it.. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

10 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

At some point, most folks stop traveling for various reasons. I think that most of us fail to realize just how fast old age is coming! 

I only wish I didn't realize that.  sometimes ignorance is bliss

My parents (nonrvers) sold their home in December (79+77) and downsized into Boutwell Landing in Stillwater MN. One thought that comes to mind is cost...these CRCs are not cheap. If one cashes equity out of S+B, that could partly or fully fund costs. Very expensive. Boutwell has everything from independent townhomes to 24/7 nursing care. Lots of amenities, walking trail, near Stillwater and Twin Cities. Of course you never touch a snow shovel again but that doesn't get rid of the cold and ice. Falling on the ice is a big fear here among seniors.

12 hours ago, ToddF said:

My parents (nonrvers) sold their home in December (79+77)

We are only a few years younger than your parents. As you say, the "CRC's" that Linda made reference to are very expensive. In fact, all of them that we found were well beyond our financial ability. The very least that we found in our part of the world wanted well above the amount our home-base would bring when sold and many of the nicest ones cost more than the total of our home-base plus all of our investments!  But you really do not have to go that type of place for security if they are out of reach. We found that there are many other options and we have initiated the process to move into a place that is in our financial reach.

We live in a small townhome HOA. Been here since '00. People are " aging in place" here. We have a 90 year old and quite a few in their 70's and 80's. No outside maintenance and shorter stair cases (7 steps between levels). Close to medical, shopping, banks, post office etc. They don't even put signs up when one comes up for sale, they sell on first day. You in your unit and the land under it. Maintenance fee covers building insurance, lawn and snow care, tree maintenance (heavily wooded), trash removal, and self management costs.Taxes are low. Meals on wheels available as well as other services not connected to HOA. I hope to stay here for 20+ years (57) like my neighbors. One neighbor finally had to move to CRC, his unit will come up for sale soon.

I like the independence, attached 2 car garage, no common buildings. I go to LA Fitness and senior center for activity. Good RV storage nearby. We like living in the middle of the country. We alternate RV trips, East, South,West easier to do.

Food for thought. Units run in the low 200's. 

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

We are only a few years younger than your parents. As you say, the "CRC's" that Linda made reference to are very expensive.

True. And we are a few years younger than Kirk. But the term is CCRC which stands for Continuing Care Retirement Community. It's the continuing part that hooked us in since they guarantee to care for us the rest of our lives even if the market crashes and we lose our money. It's our version of long term care insurance since we didn't buy that back when we should have done.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I wish that were true! Growing up is optional but aging, not so much.

My daughter offered to buy me a t-shirt that said, "I may be getting old but I refuse to grow up."

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 5/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, Mr. Camper said:

Some posters mentioned other things they were interested in before making a selection on a place to live.  This site we found is pretty good at giving a longer look at other things like taxes, healthcare, cost of living, etc.  Just an idea.

http://www.bestplaces.net/find/

I like the anecdotal reviews on this site. In the final analysis, one has to judge for one's self. For now, better the devil I know than the one I don't. (I'm sticking with MN.)

8 hours ago, ToddF said:

For now, better the devil I know than the one I don't.

I doubt that many of us choose a place to live based on tax structure anyway but we may eliminate some locations that way. As one of those who is in a position of doing this, we chose the area of the country partly based on where we have family close. Late in life, it can be important to have family and long-term friends nearby. We located where we are presently partly by what it costs to live there but there were other factors and we only looked in the one state. It is important to set your priorities and choose carefully as we age since moving becomes far more difficult when you get older. 

Ideally family and friends will be there to provide support in your later years. There is definitely a trend toward in home health care vs long term care facility. Have seen some older folks move in with their kids at the end, and it can be mutually beneficial. If you plan to stay in your RV, Livingston looks like an option worth considering. I was there last year and impressed with all they offer there.if you go S+B, no stairs really helps if you want to age in place.

Family and friends are what brought us back to Minnesota in spite of the long winters here. We have only one child and she is an OTR diver so there's no point moving to wherever she's based at the moment. Dave's younger sister here in MN has our power of attorney and we shared with her and her husband what she needs to know about our computers to get to whatever information she will need to support us. Plus she and her husband toured this place with us before we bought in and agreed it was a good decision for us. It's good to have nearby family you know you can rely on while minimizing your need to do so.

Linda

"My grandmother used to say, "you don't grow old, you just get old when you quit growing"." I stopped growing taller many years ago. Now I'm growing shorter and wider. Does that count?

Our ideal travel plans are to drive no more than 250 miles in one day, then stay at least a week there, seeing and doing whatever interests us, then moving on, with some stays of longer times if there is more to see and do in the area. That rarely works out that way. Most of the time we can drive no more than 250 miles, stay a couple of days, and then move on. Once in a while we need to move fairly long distances in a short amount of time, in which case we may stretch it to 275 miles per day for 3-4 days.

At 68 and retired for five years now, we're beginning to focus in on a couple of places for something like a home base. One will probably be somewhere in Texas, and the other one farther north. With close family in Wyoming, Nebraska, and Wyoming finding the summer place might be a bit of a challenge. I have a feeling that no matter where we pick someone will be unhappy.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

I have a feeling that no matter where we pick someone will be unhappy.

Just make sure the unhappy someone is not you.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived