Cheap places to live...

Kirk W

Minnesota will show up with a "top 10" highest tax rates, but that is misleading. Over half of retired Minnesotans pay little or no income tax. And many get a property tax refund that can be substantial (property taxes are already low compared to many other states). One really needs to dig into the details when comparing different options. The Kiplinger article lists some places with very low median incomes. Those places are likely to have more limited amenities than areas with higher median incomes. Iowa and Minnesota can both be very affordable places to retire. That high tax rate (MN) is actually a plus, the solid tax base here means lots of top notch health services, shopping options, unbelievable grocery stores, paved bike trails everywhere, above average state parks, etc etc.And low income folks can get MN Care which makes health care accessible and affordable. Plan to stay here when we retire. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of our "goals" is to figure out where we want to land when we get off the road. Climate is important to us. Two of our three children work remotely, so they can live anywhere they have Internet. Traveling to them (or, more likely, them to us) would obviously vary depending on where they are. At this point our health is good, but that may change in the future, which may affect where we would have to live. It is very possible that we will pick a home base (maybe a Co-op park), then change it later.

Another thing to think and talk about is that a decision that is right for the two of you may not be right for only one of you. Jo Ann and I have talked about this, and we're aware of what the other one would do when one of us dies (assuming that the surviving one can still travel).

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

11 hours ago, kb0zke said:

Another thing to think and talk about is that a decision that is right for the two of you may not be right for only one of you. Jo Ann and I have talked about this, and we're aware of what the other one would do when one of us dies (assuming that the surviving one can still travel).

You are wise to begin thinking of these choices early before the need arises. Pam & I did some pre-planning but we didn't keep it completely current so when we rather suddenly needed a home-base we discovered that our first plan was not going to work out since things had changed over the 10+ years. We scrambled some but the fact that we had pre-planned certainly did help. We are now more than 10 years into the return to part-time RV living and it is time to start looking at what comes next. Health care is an important aspect of our future and that seems to constantly change. As you consider your future plans, do not fail to consider that you may reach a point of needing outside assistance before either of you have passed away. If you should face a degenerative health issue or the failure to fully recover from something like a stoke, they you may require help while both continue to live. This is the very thing that we are presently considering as we look to our future. I am starting to realize that the day is coming that Pam could need more assistance than I will be able to give and we have seen that same thing happen to friends.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

As you consider your future plans, do not fail to consider that you may reach a point of needing outside assistance before either of you have passed away. If you should face a degenerative health issue or the failure to fully recover from something like a stoke, they you may require help while both continue to live. 

This is why we feel blessed to have been able to move to a Continuing Care Retirement Community. (CCRC) We live in an independent living apartment at one end of the complex. The club house is in the middle and the care center is at the other end. We can have assistance in our apartment or, if needs become too much, we (one or both of us) can move to the care center. So, even if we eventually need different levels of care the other one is still just down the hall. Yes, it's a very long hall but at least it is still under the same roof. That's a comforting thing to know.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

This is why we feel blessed to have been able to move to a Continuing Care Retirement Community. (CCRC) We live in an independent living apartment at one end of the complex.

Great minds! You are now living in exactly the sort of community that Pam & I have recently signed up to move into. Our present home is owned and in an RV community that is modeled after the Escapee co-op parks but we plan to move to the same sort of community as you live in, very soon. We initiated the process to move there. 

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Great minds! You are now living in exactly the sort of community that Pam & I have recently signed up to move into. Our present home is owned and in an RV community that is modeled after the Escapee co-op parks but we plan to move to the same sort of community as you live in, very soon. We initiated the process to move there. 

Way to go, Kirk! Is your new place truly a legal CCRC, though? That has ramifications that similar places do not have. Kind of like the word domicile. :)

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

Is your new place truly a legal CCRC, though?

Not just sure what you are asking but they are licensed in TX and have independent living in both cottages and apartments, assisted living in apartments, memory care, rehabilitation care, and complete care facilities for both couples and singles, This particular organization has 3 TX locations and has been in existence since 1972.

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Not just sure what you are asking but they are licensed in TX and have independent living in both cottages and apartments, assisted living in apartments, memory care, rehabilitation care, and complete care facilities for both couples and singles, This particular organization has 3 TX locations and has been in existence since 1972.

Lots of places have those amenities without being a CCRC. A CCRC usually has a big buy-in and monthly fee that includes future medical care but they can then never kick you out. They are required to house you for the rest of your life no matter how your individual circumstances change. A portion of our monthly fee can also be redeemed by eating in the cafe/pub/restaurant facilities.

Linda

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

How do you locate these type facilities.  Not just in Texas and or other communities in Tx?

You can start by googling "retirement communities" or "ccrc" with your chosen state.

Linda

There is one in Lakeland FL...Florida Presbyterian Homes. Big buy-in with monthly fee as previously stated. They have apts., villas, houses and then all the way up thru assisted living/ memory care/nursing home.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver-(the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ
2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Dallas area has a large number of such facilities with a very wide range of prices and amenities as well as financial arrangements. There are those that have a large buy-in that keeps you for as long as you live but there are also some with a much lower cost of entry and then monthly rental payments. There are even some that have a foundation that will supply funds to those in need when more care is needed by one who does not have the financial means to pay the full cost. I did a Google search in Dallas, using CRC and only got insurance companies and others with that in the name but a search using "Continuing Care Retirement Community" brought a list of facilities but if you use "senior housing communities" it will bring far more. The same is likely true for most any community.

Iam sorry for the miss spelled statement  I wrote before this story made me so mad  IT is wrong from the start 

this is what get people that travel in to problems they dont need 

It is cheap correct they unemployment rate is not telling a true story 3% is those who will work not unemployed the good jobs that pay any thing are 12hr a day 7 days aweek and have been for year turn over is high crime is high we have no streets worth driving on 

the population is dropping every year the older workers that have been with their jobs for years are treated like crap to force them out

i will say we have great law enforcement  a great veteran park  great fire dept but for how long i dont know

It is run with  people with their on projects

stayed 68 yrs the last 10 with the hope things  would get better

when they write these story they need to drive through  the town  and ask the average joe about the towns not jerks in charge they wont show the real facts

we do have a great collage to 

hope to leave by fall 

thanks for letting me gripe  

When thinking about a place to settle down, climate should be a top concern.

The snowbird option can solve the snow problem.

Living in the South looks hot and humid more so than in the past due to climate change.

Winters are shorter and milder up Nord.

16 minutes ago, ToddF said:

The snowbird option can solve the snow problem.

At some point, most folks stop traveling for various reasons. I think that most of us fail to realize just how fast old age is coming! 

5 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

At some point, most folks stop traveling for various reasons. I think that most of us fail to realize just how fast old age is coming! 

We know how fast old age comes because it is here. We have been snowbirding back and forth to Florida  for several years.It is getting harder and harder to do. It is to hot and humid in Florida during the summer and to cold and snowy  in Northern  Ohio during the winter. We are at a decision point.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I always thought the snowbird thing would be an option for me until I made my first solo trip from Harlingen TX back to MN. A sort of test run if you will. Only 57 and not retired but thinking ahead. I wouldn't want to make that trip on an annual basis. I also didn't like the RGV, not my thing. Cheap yes but not much else. Fairhope AL is on my radar for a future visit, but too far for an annual trek. Weather base.com is a good site to see in black and white various temperature norms by City.

7 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Yes, we are young until suddenly we are old. And wondering how that happened.

Linda

21 minutes ago, ToddF said:

I always thought the snowbird thing would be an option for me until I made my first solo trip from Harlingen TX back to MN. 

My snowbird pattern was to leave Minnesota about October 15th and head to Rainbow's End in Texas where I'd spend a week. Then I'd head west to the Quartzsite/Parker area. Several month's later I'd head back to Rainbow's End and hang around there until Minnesota weather said it was safe to go home. But, that was too long for me to be gone so snowbirding ended much sooner than I expected it to do.

Linda

14 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Stop more often and stretch the trek out a few weeks, maybe take the long way. Sorta takes the task out of it and makes a trip out of it.

Yes. I usually made three overnight stops between MN and TX and at least one of them was for two nights. I never was a long distance driver.

Linda

Archived