Are there changes ahead for the commissary & exchange?

Kirk W

I read it, don't see where it would really make much difference.  Are they thinking of making the BX/Commissary more like a super WallyWorld?  I would go for that. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

“Congress has an obligation to accomplish this deliberately with the Department of Defense and military services to ensure this is a consultative and inclusive process of reform, while eliminating waste and unnecessary costs,”

Has the gubment EVER eliminated waste and unnecessary costs of anything???

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

Has the gubment EVER eliminated waste and unnecessary costs of anything???

That thar is downright funny!  They do eliminate waste/cost at the lower levels only to blow more on the top.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

It is old news and apparently Don Bacon, R. Nebraska hopes to make an issue out of it.

That article was written in 2016 by Karen Jowers here: https://www.militarytimes.com/2016/07/15/should-the-military-exchanges-run-the-commissary-system-aafes-has-a-plan/

Here is the one quoted above:

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2018/05/14/lawmakers-want-to-pump-the-brakes-on-commissary-exchange-merger-plans/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AIR 05.15.18&utm_term=Editorial - Air Force - Daily News Roundup

Looks like times change. (The Military Times that is) That seems to be just the opinion of one legislator needing some publicity, and the writer who gave it.

I wouldn't sweat it either way.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have read the same thing and the article I read said that commissary sales have fallen by 21.3% since 2012. Currently commissary items are sold at a cost plus 5% which in many cases makes the goods cost more that in a traditional grocery store. The Exchange has not been competitive for a number years in any aspect other than saving one the local taxes on a purchase. 

We can shop at the Commissary or BX at 3 different bases where I live but rarely do. If we are on base for something else, say medical appts, we may shop but we never make a special trip for it as the prices in the Commissary and Exchange just can't compete with all the other shopping available to us. 

I truly do not see how either can be made self-sufficient in the majority of locations and frankly don't think it would be a great loss if they were closed down entirely in the US. They should remain in overseas locations though. Of course, closing  both Commissary and Exchange leads to another problem since Exchange proceeds support the MWR system.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived