Tire Pressure Loss

SWharton

On our inner dualies when it is cold out we loose air pressure, now that the weather is warm we no longer loose air pressure. We have soaped, we have tightened the extensions, the one tire has had a water bath and no bubbles showed.

All the other tires are fine in both the hot and cold and they also have extensions on them.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks........................

You said the tire has had a bath....the "tire" or the whole wheel? I actually had an aluminum wheel get a pin hole in it. Soaped the tire, the valve stem, watched them put the "tire" in a narrow trough and found nothing. The second place I stopped actually put the whole wheel into a huge round water trough. Would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. No crack, not in a place that coulda been hit, just a pin hole with bubbles.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

If you are certain that you aren't dealing with a slow leak consider switching to Nitrogen in your tires.  We had all the stems replaced and then switched to Nitrogen and the problem of loss of pressure went away.  Of course, many of the experts here will dispute that so all I can say is what worked for us.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

If you are certain that you aren't dealing with a slow leak consider switching to Nitrogen in your tires.  We had all the stems replaced and then switched to Nitrogen and the problem of loss of pressure went away.  Of course, many of the experts here will dispute that so all I can say is what worked for us.

42 minutes ago, SWharton said:

They are steel wheels and the entire wheel and tire had a bath. Nothing showed up.

Don't understand why 100% nitrogen would change anything. Tires get 78% Nitrogen now. Don't even know where to get nitrogen.

SWharton,

Congratulations, you are now an expert. 😁😁

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

When it was cold. Maybe try the ice, good idea. Summer now so no problem. Have talked to numerous tire dealers and no idea what to do.

This is the first time we have traveled in the summer so maybe the heat caused something to re-seat and the problem is resolved. Won't know until the winter.

20 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

When you change two things you cant know which one solved the problem. :)

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

Even though you soaped the sensors, it is well worth swapping the sensor to a different tire, "just to be sure".  You don't have to reprogram the TPMS system, just make a note on a piece of paper which tires have the switched sensors and tape it to the dash.

It is not easy to see a very slow leak.  When I soap valve stems and TPMS sensors I always use a flash light and dental mirror to look very closely at the places that are not obviously visible.  Slow leaks make very, very small bubbles.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Could the issue be something unrelated to the temperatures but which recently changed? It would seem to be strange but just maybe whatever was causing this has been resolved? It will be interesting to see if the issue returns when weather gets cool again.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't think so. This winter, we topped off the tires every couple of months due to the leak. Haven't had to top them off since Feb. We were in Phoenix so the weather started warming up. We'll see what the summer brings. We have made no other changes.........................

I had leaking flexible extensions in cold weather. At moderate temperatures they were fine but as soon as temps plunged into the 20's three of the four seriously leaked. It was a dissimilar metals problem, brass screwed onto steel and very difficult to get at to tighten up. Got rid of that and had extended valves installed, no more trouble.

On my front wheels I have screw-on solid 90-degree extensions. I had one tire with a very slow leak and messing around with soapy water showed bubbles on the _outside of the elbow_ of the extension. I guess a pinhole had rusted through. When I get new tires this year I'll replace those with solid extended valves.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

You may be right on the dissimilar metals but why only on this rig?

We have been through the flexible extension 15+ years ago, never again. Went to solid brass extension and never had a problem until this MH. Have been looking for extended valves but no one seems to carry them. When we get to our summer stop we have a truck repair shop that does tires. We will go talk to him(with rig). Near Newport News and Hampton, someone should carry them.

6 hours ago, SWharton said:

We have been through the flexible extension 15+ years ago, never again.

I'm having good luck with my braided metal flex extensions.  I have metal stems on the wheels, but the length of those stems inhibited installation of my TPMS sensors, and I didn't want to pay for new, shorter extensions.  Plus, the inners were STILL a PITA to put air in, so I opted for the extensions.  They are only a year old.  Hopefully they stay in good shape for years to come.  

I considered getting some real long "bent" stems for the inners.  Would add a step when rotating, so opted to not do that.  And, of course, rotations are proving to be unnecessary, so maybe next time.

Archived