High End Trailers

alan0043

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I went to the NADA RV site to get a value for the trailer. I assume that the bank uses the same site to determine the value of the trailer. I need to have a starting point to see what the trailer is worth. I have also sent an e-mail to the trailer manufacturer showing the problem areas. I am waiting for the trailer manufacturer to get back to me. I am interested in seeing what they have to say. I doubt if they can give me a cost for repairs. When do you stop putting money into a bottomless bucket. If the repair cost is more that 25% of the present value  of the trailer, do you move on ? Another piece of the problem is that the bank still own's the trailer. I need to see what my pay-off is, so a decision can be made. What kind of decision would you make ? I think I might be missing a piece of the problem. What I'm I missing to make a decision ? I believe that there is more going on than just acme to the fiberglass. I really don't see any high end fiberglass on a so called high end trailer.

pINabX5l.jpg

Please keep the comments coming,
Al

Al, I had a similar problem on my 06 Summit.  As I recall the problem was either broken or sheered bolts/fasteners in the overhang framing.  Ken in Junction City had me cut some access holes under the overhang and look for a broken bolt. No broken bolt so I took it to the factory to be fixed and also replace a delaminated side.  I believe they had de-lam problems in production in 06.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

15 hours ago, w4whh said:

Al, I had a similar problem on my 06 Summit.  As I recall the problem was either broken or sheered bolts/fasteners in the overhang framing.  Ken in Junction City had me cut some access holes under the overhang and look for a broken bolt. No broken bolt so I took it to the factory to be fixed and also replace a delaminated side.  I believe they had de-lam problems in production in 06.

Hi w4,

P/M sent.     Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi Everyone,

I want to Thank everyone for putting up with my comments and problems with the trailer. I have no idea how to repair fiberglass and I don't think now is the time to learn this skill. That would be opening up a can of worms for me. It just seems that the problem is spreading. Right now there is three areas that need repair. The most recent area is the side that has the awning attached to it. It looks like the awning needs to come off to do a proper repair. I do understand that it is ' gut-check ' time for me. I am just trying to get all of the correct information I can to make a smart decision. 

Al

• 2 weeks later...

When to cut your losses and move on is something that only you can answer. Maybe some events from our lives will help you.

Many years ago we were living paycheck to paycheck, and we needed a car. We found one, and it served us well for several years and many miles, but eventually it was going in for $200-$400 repairs nearly each month. We kept saying that we couldn't afford a car payment, but finally realized that we were making a car payment each month and still driving an old car. We traded cars.

In January of 2017 we needed the engine on our MH rebuilt. The rebuild cost about what we paid for the coach. From a strictly financial point of view we probably should have sold it for junk and bought something else, but we really like it, so we spent the money.

A couple of months ago we discovered a potentially expensive problem with our Jeep. Within a week the Jeep had been replaced with another car. Yes, we're making payments, but we're driving a newer car that is more comfortable and gets better gas mileage.

The point of those three stories is that you will have to decide what is important to you. Consider, too, how you are using your RV now compared to what your plans were when you bought it. Have things changed since then? Are there changes coming up that would indicate that what you now have won't be the best fit soon? Probably the most expensive thing you could do is spend the money to fix what you have and then trade it for something else.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Hi kb,

Thank you for your comments. 

17 hours ago, kb0zke said:

The point of those three stories is that you will have to decide what is important to you. Consider, too, how you are using your RV now compared to what your plans were when you bought it. Have things changed since then? Are there changes coming up that would indicate that what you now have won't be the best fit soon? Probably the most expensive thing you could do is spend the money to fix what you have and then trade it for something else.

I am asking a lot of questions so I can make the best decision for myself. I understand the three stories that you told. The problem with a trailer is, that there is not any shops that can repair the fiberglass problems in my area. I have been told that boat people can also fix the problems. But I believe that there is more going on with the fiberglass that the eye can see. I would think you would want someone with experience in trailer repair to make the repairs. If you just do cosmetic repair the problem will show up again. I have been thinking about trading the trailer in without the repairs and use the repair money as a down payment toward another trailer. I don't know which would be better. Make repairs and trade it in or trade it in without repairs and use the money for a down payment. Still thinking.

Al

Archived