Keeping RV Fridge Cool While Driving

RedRaider89

First off I apologize for this newbie question.  I have only taken one trip for a week which was a 2.5 hour drive from San Antonio to Rockport, TX in my new 2018 2100BH Winnie Travel Trailer.

In June , my family and I are taking a trip with 6 RV park stops over 25 days with drives between 4 to 7 hours per park.

I have tried searching on this forum the question if it is safe to run your propane to keep the Fridge Cool while traveling.  I could not find any in the search results.  Search results on google also gives conflicting information.

Any advice if it is safe to keep propane on while driving and if not, what does others do to keep the fridge cool  en-route?  I have a freezer so was thinking of transferring frozen water bottles to the fridge to keep stuff cool while traveling if I don't run the Propane.

Thank you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either of the above answers will probably work fine. The RV propane system is designed to be used while traveling but there is some small degree of added risk involved. The well known "Mack the Fire Guy" says not to do so and while his arguments have some valid points, the fact is that not all career firefighters agree with him. The retired firefighting Capt. and former fire prevention trainer who is part of our family happens to travel with his refrigerator operating on propane. I too have done that for many years and not only have I not had any problems from doing so, and I have also not seen any documented cases of a problem caused by running with propane in use. If you choose to travel in winter through cold country you will need the furnace to keep things from freezing.

There is really no one right way to do things in this case, or most others. If you are uncomfortable traveling with propane on, just keep the refrigerator closed for the entire travel period and it should be fine. I have done it both ways. I usually travel with ours on and operating because I want to use things from it at lunch stops.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the replies.  My truck has a 36 gallon tank and I am getting about 15 mpg towing my RV so I only plan on filling up when not towing.   I think I am just going to play it safe and get the fridge cooled down the day before the trip on Electric hook up and then go the frozen milk jug in fridge route between RV parks.   

As others have said, we always travel with the fridge on propane.  Been this way for 40 years. 

I do admit there are others which will never travel with the propane turned on. 

Keep in mind the pressure in the propane lines are only 0.5 PSI and the pressure in the fuel lines in your tow vehicle is around 40-60 psi.  Additionally the RV propane tanks are designed to automatically shut off if the line is cut and gas allowed to freely escape.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

When you travel in hot temps and the sun beating on the refrigerator side you may change your mind.................................Make sure you have an external read thermometer keeping track of the temps in your refrig and freezer.

In 11+ full time years we have never traveled with a fridge on.  When we had the Dometic we turned the propane off as suggested at a Life on Wheels course.  Four years ago when the Dometic died it was replaced with a Sears household fridge because we do not dry camp.  Our travel days have been up to 10 hours in FL and AL with no problem with the fridge.  Just keep the door closed and stuff stays cold and frozen.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I have always left it on, without issue. I have heard others say to turn off when filling with fuel. I do as above fill up when not towing. I don't go over a tank full per day and after I unhook for the night I go to GasBuddy and find lower cost diesel nearby.

But if you boondock a lot, and don't want to run your generator, and don't have a lot of solar and batteries, then you don't need a compressor.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

If you put the controller on auto, run on gas or elec, if you close the tanks off during travel, will not this fridge continue to run on elec. as long as battery has a charge or it's connected to your vehicle?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

21 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

If you put the controller on auto, run on gas or elec, if you close the tanks off during travel, will not this fridge continue to run on elec. as long as battery has a charge or it's connected to your vehicle?

Some units will run on 110v/gas/12v. Most are only 110v/ gas. Only problem with running 110 or 12v is the current draw on electric. Some have 400 watt element, mine, a two door is 800 watts. If running down the road, your alternator will probably supply enough to your batteries [whether feeding a 110v inverter, or direct 12 volt] to keep fridge running okay. Problem is when dry camping, when not enough charge going into batteries for the 12 volt or 110 volt elements.  So plug into inverter outlet when driving, and unplug or select gas when not driving. 

This works in most motorhomes, don't know if trailers and 5th wheelers have enough charge from truck alternator to house batteries to do this.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

6 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Our previous DRV had an rv fridge. We ran it constantly. Towing or not. Never gave it a second thought. 

Automatic switch from gas to electric when shorepower available?

Propane on when in travel always have.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived