BInkley hitch head failing

jcsteele

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Henry, your PM inbox must be full.  Do you have a price you could PM me for the replacement head?

It's got 100 messages, I think it's full and I can't see how you clean it out, new "system" ain't too friendly ☹️

Phone should work 603-382-6500

Force will remain the same, the time duration will increase. The waveform shown earlier wouldn't be as saw-toothed, but the peaks would still be as high. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:35 PM, phoenix2013 said:

TraileSaver head and swiveler replacements are  available from ET Hitches on an exchange basis (old Binkley and old swiveler being a core). It hasn't made the website yet.

zdyllKal.jpg

kMPfmKKl.jpg

Bu7FVbCl.jpg

The head is a brand new Super Binkley (slightly smaller version of the Super Binkley), the swiveler is a TrailerSaver bottom modified to accept the Super Binkley (hence the need for the core).

You have a PM!

Just getting caught up with things.  My theory on the hole drilled in the clevis pin is that it is an 1 1/4 pin with a 1/8 inch hole drilled to the depth of the center of the swivel mount (read that, not all the way through to the inner mount on the head).  The swivel mount is sandwiched between the two sides of the fifth wheel head brackets with less than 1/8 inch between the faces of them.  Therefore, the inner most part of the clevis pin where it goes through the inner most part of the head mount is not drilled at all.  If it were just two side-by-side pieces of steel then I would worry about that clevis pin cracking.  But the way it is built, it puts the stress on three points of the pin evenly. 

I also found that when I greased the clevis pin, the grease hydraulically pushed out both sides of the head mounting holes, thus no other holes were needed to lube the two other pivot joints. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

6 hours ago, noteven said:

Henry- 

What effect does a rubber shear pin thingy pin box ( starts with M ends with Ryde) have on the forces of g being emitted from a trailer to tow mobile?

The best engineering answer answer I can give you is "I have no clue and neither does Moryde". However, I would guess that it must have some positive effect, the question is, is it substantial or minimal. The rubber shear spring Moryde incorporates in that pinbox is oriented in the right direction and it works  in their suspensions, but it is also much smaller than the ones in their suspensions so again I would "guess" (honesty here) that its effectiveness is limited.

Since we did this in 1997,

PQznNbil.jpg

to look at this,

cXD1evTl.jpg

I am not aware of anyone in RV industry that has done this since or before. I still have some of these pins, perhaps Moryde should purchase one and install it in their pinbox then they could unequivocally prove and claim how effective that pinbox is. Other than that it's based on "feelings" from their customers and we know that "satisfaction" with the decision one makes is often proportional to the amount of money one spent on that "decision". After all no one want to hear from one's spouse, "you spent all this money on this crap and I don't feel any difference". 

I briefly mentioned the subject of impact in above postings. Take a look at above graph of forces that the pin sees and therefore transfers to the hitch head and hitch itself. Few engineering parameters before I offer my "observations". The strain gauge and the pin design came from a company that designs these and mounts them in submarine hulls, drawbridge hinges, transmissions, etc., etc. These guys knew their stuff. The type of the strain gauge they installed was strictly unidirectional, meaning it ignored all the  stresses (like up and down motion), except for the forward and back (chucking), second the hitch was sloppy (by design), so it was all impact. Everything you see here took 3 1/2 seconds time wise, the trailer weighed 8,000 pounds (32 footer, no slides), the highest peak you see here is 2,500 pounds (about 1/3G), the electric brakes on the fifth were engaged. The horizontal scale is in seconds, the vertical scale is in 1,000 pounds. Note the sharp rises to a tune of thousands of pounds occurring over a period of 100-200 milliseconds, that a sharp and serious impact.

Binkley heads were around now almost 4 decades. They were superbly over-designed from day one and what you see here didn't bother them at all. What I owned then (1997) was a large fifth, the heaviest fifths back then were 10-12K. That 1 1/4" swivel pin had a large margin. Things changed dramatically once fifths "marched" past 20K GVW, 1/3G on a 24K trailer is 8,000 pounds.

But at the same time I don't want to be an alarmist. Failures due to impact, although they occur instantly also can take years and years to develop to the point where the molecular structure of the metal reaches that "snap point". I agree with Randy that with his lighter trailer the modified pin that he has should be fine for years if not forever.   

Daryl & Henry - the M pinbox made a big difference in ride quality towing 15,500lbs with an 8500 lbs won ton. I made two videos towing over a section of busted highway with a jar of red food dyed water sitting on the console, before and after M box install. Storm seas without M, much gentler waves with M box.

The 14,500lbs tow mobile I use now is much more comfortable even though it is not a fluffy line haul tractor and it is 160” wheelbase. I had a chance to tow a different toyhauler about the size and weight of mine with a solid pin box. Ride over a bad piece of highway was not that bad and the trailer owner said it was way better than the chuck and jolt in his won ton...I will be over that road sometime this summer with my own trailer to compare...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

In further contemplation, the rubber will absorb some of the energy of the jolts, and will lower the peaks. The energy will be returned to the system, and the width of the peaks will increase slightly. Very slightly. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived