Glass cabinets in RVs

MrsSquid

I've noticed that some RVs have glass display/bar cabinets or what appears to be glass components. One photo I saw had a beautiful cabinet with what appears to be clear glass doors with wood trim. It certainly made the aesthetics of that area of the coach. I wondered about the durability of glass with such things as highway motions and small living space where you might bump into things more frequently. If you have a display/bar cabinet, what do you store in it? Would you get another coach with glass? Thank you in advance for your comments.

This is our 2nd 5th wheel that has glass doors on some of the cabinets.  We have had ZERO issues on almost 5 years fulltiming.  On cabinets that have heavy items such as canned goods, we put a bar across the inside on the door before traveling.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We had two door in a hutch with glass but it wasn't a clear glass/wood trim that you could see through so we could store anything. You're correct in that they really 'add' to the overlook look.  We didn't protect them in any way and they never broke even though we've driven on many bumpy gravel roads.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I ordered my 5th wheel with all of the glass door panels deleted and went with all wood doors.  I did not hear one issue with the glass inserts, I just did not like the look.  Either way you should be fine.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Some of our cabinets have smoke plastic panels.  Because we store "stuff" in them we taped black construction paper behind the plastic so you can't see the "stuff" scattered inside.  We'd rather have practical space for storage rather than a cosmetic pretty look.      Greg

edit.....we have two sliding glass mirror door closets, one in the bedroom and another in a slide, and have had no troubles with them in 11+ years.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Thanks all. I'm glad to hear that there have not been any issues.

The cabinet in the photo faced the front of the coach as opposed to being on a side wall. It really reminded me of a china hutch.  They show some vases in it. Since we're planning to full-time, I can't imagine having room for display items. I was trying to imagine what I would store in there, and figured seasoned Escapees would offer insight. 

Archived