Length Limits in Campgrounds

TimboCarp

On 5/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, TimboCarp said:

New at RV camping and I find that a lot of state parks have a 35' limit. 

As an FYI, from research I did a few years back, about 1/2 the sites in both state and federal parks are at least 40'. However, CA and East Coast parks are on average smaller.

State Park Stats

Federal Park Stats

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

8 hours ago, Zulu said:

As an FYI, from research I did a few years back,

You put all of that together yourself? You need to publish some of your work as I would think that such information would sell. Very impressive work and his tech writing background shows.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree Tom's work is an impressive effort, but as I'm sure he realizes, it covers a moving target that changes each year. Both Florida and Georgia for example, have been upgrading some parks to full hookups on an ongoing bases. Georgia's Crooked River State Park was in the process of upgrading this past winter. The available sites when we stayed there in January were EW only, but when we returned in March, the available sites were all newly opened EWS with the remaining EW sites undergoing upgrading.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

17 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Florida and Georgia for example, have been upgrading some parks to full hookups on an ongoing bases.

I suspect that is true of many states but can only say for sure that it is for TX. If the information were to be published it would need to be updated but his work and its presentation is what impressed me. Having researched subjects for articles I wrote in the past leads me to understand what is involved and Tom has a real skill in computer research. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I suspect that is true of many states but can only say for sure that it is for TX. If the information were to be published it would need to be updated but his work and its presentation is what impressed me. Having researched subjects for articles I wrote in the past leads me to understand what is involved and Tom has a real skill in computer research. 

Yes, as I said, "an impressive effort". I still research, write, or edit technical manuals for a few equipment manufacturers, so like you, I have a pretty good feel for the work involved. It's the keeping it updated that can lead to problems for a print publication. On the other hand, Tom's work could well be a web based publication that can be updated on the fly as the data changes. That would be more difficult to monetize though..

Dutch

21 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Tom's work could well be a web based publication that can be updated on the fly as the data changes. That would be more difficult to monetize though..

That would turn it from a fun project to work. Which is why my Dave gives away his software with the caveat that it is not supported. Although, he tends to support it anyway. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

One addition I noticed for the state parks of Arizona.... every one can accommodate a 40' RV. We've been to all of them with our 40'. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

That would turn it from a fun project to work. Which is why my Dave gives away his software with the caveat that it is not supported. Although, he tends to support it anyway. :)

Linda

I agree, Linda, but my thought is in line with Kirk's idea of turning the data into a marketable product.

Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I agree, Linda, but my thought is in line with Kirk's idea of turning the data into a marketable product.

That works too. As long as you are willing to keep an eye on changing conditions. But, if you are going to do that anyway, might as well get paid for it. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

We're just finishing up a six-week stint as campground hosts in a State park. Great park, all paved sites with 50A and water at all sites. Most are back-ins, but we do have three pull-throughs. Some of the back-in sites are find for smaller rigs due to trees in the way. Others can take anything that is legal IF you can get it there. Trees are close to the road in places (scrapes on the trees testify to that), and sometimes a driver would need the space where a tree is to back into a site. Other sites are so easy to back into that if you can't do that you probably ought to find an RV driving instructor. If you make reservations online you can get an idea of the length of a site, but we've found at least one site was incorrectly marked. If you call to make a reservation you can ask about sites, and depending on how busy things are, one of the hosts will go out and check the site.

We have been full or nearly full each weekend, and that looks like the way it will be for the rest of the summer. If you don't have a weekend reservation here you probably won't be staying here on the weekend. As I type this we are about 1/3 full, but we'll be full Friday night.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived