And so it ENDS, the Smart Car, deck on the Pete, is finished.

mr. cob

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks really good Dave. I can't tell for sure from the pictures. Does it have a 'Weiner Window'?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Looks really good Dave. I can't tell for sure from the pictures. Does it have a 'Weiner Window'?

Brad

Howdy Brad,

Oh yes it does , I would be missing a leg if it didn’t.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Great job Dave, congratulations, sorry to miss WCR, you and your new truck, maybe next year, safe travels, see you down the road.

Tom & Karen 

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Wait!! It's done? Finished? What the heck? Now what thread am I supposed to read?? I'm sure I missed something. Start over and do it again, Dave.

PS: it looks good. Can't wait to see.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy All,

First time loading and tying down the Smart Car, getting the car on the deck is easy, tying that bugger down and putting the ramps away is work.  I am sure after I do it a few times it will get easier, having help with the ramps will also make it easier but I wanted to do it all myself just to see how it would go and to learn what needs to be done so that if I do have help I'll know what to ask the other person to do.

After I tied the car down, I hitched up to the trailer, now all I have to do is decide which toys to bring and load them, barring unforeseen circumstances, WCR here we come. :D

IMG_2901-L.jpg

IMG_2902-L.jpg

IMG_2903-L.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Have to agree with you. Loading is a lot of work. The ramps the biggest. I need to put a door on my ramp storage. Tying mine down now. Had plenty of time just haven't. I usually load mine the evening before. Guys with the higher decks and storage under car area has lot less job than we do. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Have to agree with you. Loading is a lot of work. The ramps the biggest. I need to put a door on my ramp storage. Tying mine down now. Had plenty of time just haven't. I usually load mine the evening before. Guys with the higher decks and storage under car area has lot less job than we do. 

Howdy Glenn,

The only way I could store the ramps under the car is if I raised the car a couple of inches, those low profile tires and sport suspension on my Smart Car, drop it a bit.  This being the first time, 65 degrees, hot sun and about 98% humidity kicked my arse but good, loading it someplace where its HOT will defiantly be an evening, early morning job.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Someone on here has a raised section where tires rest raising the car for clearance. Not suggesting you so it but it is an option. A simple board will do it to see if you want something permanent.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Someone on here has a raised section where tires rest raising the car for clearance. Not suggesting you so it but it is an option. A simple board will do it to see if you want something permanent.

Howdy Glenn,

I thought about doing that but it would really complicate the mounting of tire chocks and the tie down process, this will work fine it's not like a person is going to be doing it every day or least I NOT going to be doing it every day.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 hours ago, Tom & Karen said:

Great job Dave, congratulations, sorry to miss WCR, you and your new truck, maybe next year, safe travels, see you down the road.

Tom & Karen 

Howdy Tom and Karen,

Well darn, my wife that woman I have been talking to folks such as yourselves about the for the last four years, she will be with me at the WCR, as a former school teacher I am sure Karen could exchange horror stories of surviving at school with all those wild kids.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Dave,

Are you experiencing a bit of culture shock, going from the lowest end of the truck brands to the top?

Howdy John,

Well I don't know if it qualifies as culture shock but I can't get this stupid grin off my face as well as parts of my anatomy seem to be affected by the change. :o:lol:  There are some places on the Pete, that sure could use some touching up, I havn't had the truck for over a month so I didn't get a chance to do some spot painting, the wheels are in dire need of a polishing they have been eaten by Minnesota winters so it will be quite a job for whoever gets it.  But from 20 feet away it does look good.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave;

Hate to see you leave the Freightliner gold, but that is a "Good" looking setup!

Curt 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Tom and Karen,

Well darn, my wife that woman I have been talking to folks such as yourselves about the for the last four years, she will be with me at the WCR, as a former school teacher I am sure Karen could exchange horror stories of surviving at school with all those wild kids.

Dave

Karen says darn too! 😩 Maybe next year, keep the shiny side up 👍

Tom

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

1 hour ago, CDR said:

Dave;

Hate to see you leave the Freightliner gold, but that is a "Good" looking setup!

Curt 

Howdy Curt,

The Freightliner, is a darn good truck, in truth for RV use it's probably a BETTER truck then the Pete, but I have lusted after a 379 ever since they first came out.  When I bought the Smart Car, and after carrying it in the garage of the toy hauler for two years it really started to get to me, I bought a toy hauler with an 18 foot long garage to carry TOYS not some little car.  I didn't want to put any more money into the Freightliner, and it would have ruined the nice deck that it already on it to extended everything to carry a Smart Car, so I decided to build a truck the way "I" wanted it and as long as I was starting with a new truck I might as well just give in to the lust and buy the Pete.  Are we ever going to go camping, together we have talked about it for years?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

43 minutes ago, Tom & Karen said:

Karen says darn too! 😩 Maybe next year, keep the shiny side up 👍

Tom

Howdy Tom,

Will you folks be at the National Rally this year; I plan to make it again.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Looks great Dave.  I look forward to checking it out in person when you get the the WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Looks great Dave.  I look forward to checking it out in person when you get the the WCR.

Howdy Chad,

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived