And so it ENDS, the Smart Car, deck on the Pete, is finished.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

The fellow who is helping me build the Smart Car deck has finally had room and time in his shop to get started, the raw steel arrived the other day,

IMG_2850-L.jpg

I am taking photos as the build progresses I'll post them all up when its completed.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

What!!!  No pictures during the build!!!  I guess your welder doesn't want the peanut gallery throwing comments each posting about a "better" way to do it????😁

Have fun with the build Dave.

Howdy Rocky,

Kevin's shop is a mad house, the man has way more work then he and his crew can handle so being able to stand around and take photos was NOT part of the plan.  However pictures are being taken as the build is being done and will be posted up when its all finished.  With luck it will be ready to be taken to the powder coater next Tuesday with final fit and install done by the 20th at that latest. 

You should see some of the stuff that comes out of Kevin's shop, I am having a very simple deck built, some of the trucks he works on are serious show quality, in fact there is a brand new Kenworth, now being worked on that is having more darn chrome installed then you can shake a stick at and this is going to be a "working" truck some folks have a lot of expendable income I guess.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, dan412 said:

Can't wait to see it come together he does great work.

Howdy Dan,

What I am having done is pretty simple, just a flat bed with a couple of boxes hung under the deck and wheel chocks with winches mounted on top.  Nothing fancy but it will suit my needs.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

A couple of photos of the deck, this is the main frame, it's laying upside down on the welding jig, its all tacked together now ready for the final welding to be done.  With luck its off to the powder coater by the end of this week, should be installed on the Pete, ready to use by the end of next week.

IMG_2852-L.jpg

IMG_2853-L.jpg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Very nice.  Looking forward to seeing it at the rally.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy All,

I am trying to cover all the bases with this bed build, I am hoping that just driving up the ramps will work to load the Smart but I an having receivers built into both sides so that if I have to use a winch to load it I can either pull it up going forward or pull it up going backward which ever turns out to be easier. 

Also having some tie downs installed so I can use the bed to hold other toys should I acquire them in the future.  If I can sell some of my bikes I sure would like to get one of those RZR thingamabobs.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pug said:

Hot damn i love that jig table !!  Two of those and the possibilities are limitless !!  Cant wait to see that bed.

Howdy Pug,

Actually the bed is going to be very simple, basically just a 102 inch wide by 13 feet long flat bed, with a couple of boxes hung underneath of it, there will also be a simple box behind the rear axle hung from under the frame to carry the ramps.  Nothing near as grand as what most have but it will serve my needs and that's all that counts.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hi Dave,  I'm dreaming of a steel flatbed also.  I want to have my back tires covered for our trip next month.  I think the best I can do is several hundred $$$ for generic fenders.  Grinds my gizzard they cost so much.  Rant over for now.   :)

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Sculptor - we moved many trucks with temp fenders made outta plywood attached to crosswise 2x4s. A little black paint and all those people we don’t know but worry what they think won’t notice at 60 mph....

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Howdy All,

More progress is being made on the bed, here Kevin, is welding the frame rails to the underside of the bed.

IMG_2855-L.jpg

The frame rails in place.

IMG_2856-L.jpg

This is the beginning of a box that will be mounted under the truck frame behind the rear axle, it will be used to store the loading ramps.

IMG_2854-L.jpg

Tomorrow the bed will be test fitted to the truck before the decking is welded on.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

23 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Pug,

Actually the bed is going to be very simple, basically just a 102 inch wide by 13 feet long flat bed, with a couple of boxes hung underneath of it, there will also be a simple box behind the rear axle hung from under the frame to carry the ramps.  Nothing near as grand as what most have but it will serve my needs and that's all that counts.

Dave

Simple is great !  I cannot wait to see more !  

-Roberto

15 hours ago, noteven said:

Sculptor - we moved many trucks with temp fenders made outta plywood attached to crosswise 2x4s. A little black paint and all those people we don’t know but worry what they think won’t notice at 60 mph....

Thanks Noteven, I guess I gotta get over it and do something.   🙂

Dave, your new bed is very cool!  Simple design must equal quick results, hard for me to envision being done in a week or 2. Have fun planning the LED night display!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Dave, on mine we put a section of 2X4 tube steel, laid flat, which serves as step and support for receiver hitch. Not  a lot of work or cost. Dove tailed ours too. Angled corners for clearance and looks.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy All,

Today's update.  Here the bed is being test fit onto the truck.  If you look at the bed side rail a few inches in front of the front drive axle center you will see that there is a hitch receiver built into the side rail, I have one of these on both sides of the bed making ti easy to put a winch if needed on either side of the bed.

fullsizeoutput_3055-L.jpg

This view shows the box that will be bolted under the truck frame and used to carry the loading ramps.  When the box is finished there will be door on each end.  Now there is a wooden spacer between the bottom of the truck frame and the top of the ramp storage box, that spacer will be replaced by 4 inch square tubing which will incorporate a regular trailer hitch receiver.

IMG_2859-L.jpg

This shows how the bed will be mounted to the truck frame, there will be four such mounts on each side of the frame.  In this photo the mounts have not yet been welded to the bed frame rail.

IMG_2863-L.jpg

Looking from the drivers side to the rear of the bed.

IMG_2865-L.jpg

When everything is finished, there will be a storage box mounted under the bed in-between the rear of the fuel tank and the front drive axle.  A a later date a storage compartment will be built on top of the ramp storage box, right now I need to get the truck into service as I have many trips planned for this summer so some details will be worked on as time allows.

IMG_2864-L.jpg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived