And so it ENDS, the Smart Car, deck on the Pete, is finished.

mr. cob

3 minutes ago, noteven said:

Dave - plywood fenders for the WCR if necessary...

Howdy noteven,

I have so much planed for this summer and fall, the truck has to be completed before I leave from home as there will be no time to work on it once I leave.  All of July and the first part of August I'll be spending with Donna, going as far east as Missouri, then doing the southwest on the way home.  I'll be leaving from home again the last week of August going to a bike rally in Wyoming and quite possibly another in Kansas,  then going to Arkansas to visit and ride with fellow Uralistas, from there to the National HDT rally in Kansas, then start to head back home via many stops in the southwest visiting and riding with Uralista friends eventually getting back home in late November.

So if I don't have everything finished before I leave I won't be able to carry the Smart Car, and have the toy hauler garage full of TOYS.  I don't want to miss the WCR if there is anyway possible I will be there but its not the only thing I have planed this year.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy All,

Today's update.  Kevin is so swamped with work this is taking longer then expected but if all goes well I should be able to make the WCR.  That is really important to me both to attend the rally and I need a good shake down run before setting out for most of the summer with Donna.

The deck frame has now been finished, tomorrow the deck plating goes on.

IMG_2866-L.jpg

I'll admit to being part of the slow down, I keep thinking up things that I want done, this is one of those changes, mitering the corners of the deck just give it a much more finished look.  The more I thought about it the more I wanted this done.

IMG_2867-L.jpg

This is a hole that a winch can be plugged into should it be needed, there is one on both sides of the deck so the car can be loaded from either side.

IMG_2868-L.jpg

Chicken Light holes, there will be six lights on each side that match those on the truck cab.

IMG_2869-L.jpg

Rear truck frame is now finished.

IMG_2870-L.jpg

Another view of the rear truck frame.

fullsizeoutput_3059-L.jpg

Hard to see but the plates that make up the ramp storage box doors are laying on top of the main box.

IMG_2872-L.jpg

One of these storage boxes will be hung from underneath the deck on each side of the truck, they will be located behind the fuel tanks and in front of the front drive axle.

IMG_2873-L.jpg

If all goes well the deck will be taken to the powder coater next Monday, with a lot of luck I should have the truck by next Friday.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I really like the mitered corner.  Does provide a more finished look but as a fabricator, that is a bunch of work. 

Sure you want to powder coat it?  If it gets chipped, the rust will begin right away and cannot be stopped.  I would do industrial enamel myself, over some good quality primer, red oxide if possible.  Then chips etc can be touched up and even if rust starts, it can still be repaired.

Marcel

19 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I really like the mitered corner.  Does provide a more finished look but as a fabricator, that is a bunch of work. 

Sure you want to powder coat it?  If it gets chipped, the rust will begin right away and cannot be stopped.  I would do industrial enamel myself, over some good quality primer, red oxide if possible.  Then chips etc can be touched up and even if rust starts, it can still be repaired.

Howdy rpsinc,

I know it adds work and expense to do little things like miter the corners, as a fabricator myself I know how hard this is especially when there is square tubing in the front corners.  This is a very simple deck compared to most but I want to have some cosmetically pleasing attributes to it.

I have debated the powder coat verses paint, I know paint is much easier to touch up but where I live the powder coat so long as its not cracked or scraped deep enough to allow water in will be much more durable.  The guy that is doing the powder coating does this type of work on an industrial scale so I am hoping I have made the right choice.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

This ladder may just work for your build.

Traxion 5-100 Tailgate Ladder  $38.. and free shipping at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VDX5D2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fold up and flat on the bed. And flips down when you need it. IF you need to it, I can see how long the ladder will extend on the one we have.

event.png

4 minutes ago, Pete Kildow said:

This ladder may just work for your build.

Traxion 5-100 Tailgate Ladder  $38.. and free shipping at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VDX5D2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fold up and flat on the bed. And flips down when you need it. IF you need to it, I can see how long the ladder will extend on the one we have.

Howdy Pete,

Thanks for the link, that looks interesting.

I have a receiver on both sides of the bed and one in the rear of the truck, I am thinking I will build a simple ladder that will just plug into any of those receivers, probably put a hinge in it so its easy to stow away.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

mr. cob      I really like that weld table your guy has in his shop. Was that table built in house? Are those holes all CNC cut. What was the finish size of his weld table. Mat thickness? 

Your bed is really looking good. Do you still feel like you can make the WCR? Hope you can. if you get out there say Hi to Chet (Nevereasy). He came all the way from Va!    Pat

The Old Sailor

1 hour ago, JPL said:

mr. cob      I really like that weld table your guy has in his shop. Was that table built in house? Are those holes all CNC cut. What was the finish size of his weld table. Mat thickness? 

Your bed is really looking good. Do you still feel like you can make the WCR? Hope you can. if you get out there say Hi to Chet (Nevereasy). He came all the way from Va!    Pat

The Old Sailor

I can't say for certain but, that fixture table looks like a Bluco or a copy.     If you search on that you will find all kinds of cool fixture devices just bring lots of dough.   

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Howdy All,

Today's up date on the Pete, build.  Making major progress on the Smart Car Deck, today we did a trail load after a couple of deck plates were tacked in place, this was done to confirm wheel chock location.

Driving up the ramps is a bit scary.
fullsizeoutput_305e-L.jpg

Getting the car centered on the deck.
IMG_2881-L.jpg

All centered up, wheel chock locations are marked, ready to back the car off the deck.
IMG_2882-L.jpg

Now on to finishing the deck plating, finishing the ramp storage box and get the lights wired, then its off to the powder coater before the final installation.  I have reservations made to attend the West Coast Heavy Duty Truck RV Rally starting June 14th in Caldwell Idaho, really pushing to have this all done in time to drive the truck-trailer to this rally.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Very nice, question......why not make it so your ramps could also go on the driver side, then you could just drive off forward. That is how mine was set up when we bought it drive up and off, just a thought.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

2 hours ago, dblr said:

Very nice, question......why not make it so your ramps could also go on the driver side, then you could just drive off forward. That is how mine was set up when we bought it drive up and off, just a thought.

Howdy dblr,

I have done that the ramps can be used on both sides I set it up that way as until I tried I didn’t know if I could drive the car onto the deck.

Now that I know I can drive on and don’t need to winch it’s much easier to back down then to carry the ramps to the drivers side of the truck as the ramp storage box opens on the passenger side the drivers side of the box is for storage I had it built that way in hopes of being able to drive the car onto the deck.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Good Morning Dave,

I remember the first couple of times driving up the ramp. I had no chocks and no bed liner yet, Just like you so the pucker factor was a bit higher. Trust me, after you do it a 1/2 dozen times it will not phase you a bit. I have found the easiest way to do it is line up the ramps so you know where you are going to attach them and then slowly put the front wheels on the ramps. Get out and check the placement of the tires. Pick out a line or piece of metal to follow up the ramp. I slide up my seat a bit so I can look out the window and see the front tire and then just follow the the designated line on the ramp and up you go. By that time you will have also determined where the rear tire runs. Mine is set up to go on and off from both sides but I have only driven down 2 times since I have had it. I like backing down better and you just use the same technique you used to get up. Easy Peasy. 

It is looking good Dave.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

5 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Good Morning Dave,

I remember the first couple of times driving up the ramp. I had no chocks and no bed liner yet, Just like you so the pucker factor was a bit higher. Trust me, after you do it a 1/2 dozen times it will not phase you a bit. I have found the easiest way to do it is line up the ramps so you know where you are going to attach them and then slowly put the front wheels on the ramps. Get out and check the placement of the tires. Pick out a line or piece of metal to follow up the ramp. I slide up my seat a bit so I can look out the window and see the front tire and then just follow the the designated line on the ramp and up you go. By that time you will have also determined where the rear tire runs. Mine is set up to go on and off from both sides but I have only driven down 2 times since I have had it. I like backing down better and you just use the same technique you used to get up. Easy Peasy. 

It is looking good Dave.

Brad 

Howdy Brad,

Driving up the first time was hard as I had to go very slow as I didn’t know if the bottom of the car would clear the edge of the deck.  Once I knew it cleared driving up and backing down was easy.  I have had my ramps setup so that the locating flange on the underside of the ramp fits into a slot on the edge of the deck that way the ramps are always in the right place and are straight and parallel to each other.  I have really tried to incorporate all the things I have learned from others into this build.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy dblr,

I have done that the ramps can be used on both sides I set it up that way as until I tried I didn’t know if I could drive the car onto the deck.

Now that I know I can drive on and don’t need to winch it’s much easier to back down then to carry the ramps to the drivers side of the truck as the ramp storage box opens on the passenger side the drivers side of the box is for storage I had it built that way in hopes of being able to drive the car onto the deck.

Dave

Ok got it and understand about moving the ramps as little as you have to, mine slide under the car from the rear so basically in the center but previous owner set it up and it works but our ramps are long and as I get older I am sure heavier.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

4 minutes ago, tyates007 said:

Very nice Dave. That little car looks good on the big ol’ Pete. Looking forward to seeing personally in a couple of weeks if all works out. 

Howdy tyates007,

Yeah, it does look kinda cute sittin up there.  I always got a kick out of this photo, it almost looks like the Freightliner, had a baby, the similarity between the headlights and the grills.

DSCF1762-L.jpg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, the bed is coming along. One hint - make sure you make your chocks wide enough. You will never get the car on there perfectly every time and if the chocks are not wide enough the tire may interfere with getting the bolts into the chock to bolt it to the bed. Wider chocks help minimize that issue. You don't want to be jiggling the car around on the bed so that you can get your bolt in. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

3 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Dave, the bed is coming along. One hint - make sure you make your chocks wide enough. You will never get the car on there perfectly every time and if the chocks are not wide enough the tire may interfere with getting the bolts into the chock to bolt it to the bed. Wider chocks help minimize that issue. You don't want to be jiggling the car around on the bed so that you can get your bolt in. 

Howdy Jack,

Well, I bought the wheel chocks from a guy in Kansas who has the same name as YOU ;) so if I can't get the bolts in I guess I can blame him. :D  Thanks for the chock's Jack they are a very well made product that I highly recommend.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Jack,

Well, I bought the wheel chocks from a guy in Kansas who has the same name as YOU ;) so if I can't get the bolts in I guess I can blame him. :D  Thanks for the chock's Jack they are a very well made product that I highly recommend.

Dave

🤣🤣

Howdy All,

GREAT news, I just got a text from Kevin, he told me that all the parts are being returned from powder coat today and that barring unforeseen circumstances I should be able to pick the truck up tomorrow. "If you think I am happy, your right." So tuned for photos after I pick it up, in the mean time enjoy some Dave Dudley

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

It's DONE.  Picked it up about an hour ago, yes it's raining but I am smiling.

Here is Kevin and his helper Chris who built the deck.

IMG_2885-L.jpg

The left side.

IMG_2898-L.jpg

The rear.

IMG_2893-L.jpg

The storage boxes, one on each side.

IMG_2889-L.jpg

The ramps are stored in a box that sits under the open storage space at the rear of the deck, at a later date doors will be added to the now open storage space there was not time to do this before my trip started.

IMG_2891-L.jpg

In addition to the wheel chocks there are 8 stainless steel D-Ring tie downs on the deck.

IMG_2896-L.jpg

I think it looks very nice now that it's all done.  I didn't want something fancy, I wanted something simple, practical and something that complimented the truck, not something that had full sides, I want the Pete, to remain looking like what it is, a TRUCK, well motor home to keep the law satisfied.

IMG_2899-L.jpg

I want to thank everyone who offered suggestions and guidance on getting this done, I could not have done it without that help and I am grateful for it.  A SPECIAL THANKS to Kevin, who worked his butt off even on weekends to get this done in time for me to use it this summer and for the WCR which is only a couple of days away.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived