And so it ENDS, the Smart Car, deck on the Pete, is finished.

mr. cob

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, noteven said:

Mr c - don’t forget some steps to access the deck 

Howdy noteven,

I have been trying to think of a way to incorporate some sort of steps into the build but so far really havn't come up with a way to do it.  I have a small folding ladder that I have been using for years to get up onto the Freightliner, it will probably be used on the Pete.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

34 minutes ago, noteven said:

Mr c - don’t forget some steps to access the deck 

Perhaps similar to the olde pharte step on the tailgate of my F-150.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Howdy rickeieio,

I don't have a clue what kinda steps your talking about.  What I have thought of is this, I have a receiver on both sides of the bed, I could just make a set of steps that will plug into and hang from that receiver.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

46 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy noteven,

I have been trying to think of a way to incorporate some sort of steps into the build but so far really havn't come up with a way to do it.  I have a small folding ladder that I have been using for years to get up onto the Freightliner, it will probably be used on the Pete.

Dave

So many options. Actual steps, add a removable plate to increase deck space; 107.jpg

Removable ladder; 

51uUqWxC0KL.jpg

Slide in ladder style; 

RS2_45_right.jpg

Folders;

FS2797CH_45.jpg

Pockets;

2-768x501.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

So many options. Actual steps, add a removable plate to increase deck space; 107.jpg

Removable ladder; 

51uUqWxC0KL.jpg

Slide in ladder style; 

RS2_45_right.jpg

Folders;

FS2797CH_45.jpg

Pockets;

2-768x501.jpg

Howdy Darryl,

The regular ladder,  perhaps that slide in ladder would work in my application.  Fuel tanks, boxes, tires prevent me from using the other options shown in your post.  Thanks for the photos.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

We built a smaller version of the first ones, using the factory steps, and a removable deck plate.

Howdy Darryl,

There was a set of steps on the drivers side of the Pete, right behind the sleeper.  However that is where one of my boxes will be mounted, one on each side, those boxes will fill the space between the rear of the fuel tanks and the front of the tires on the front drive axle.  Behind the rear drive axle that same space will be filled by the box that will hold the loading ramps.  So I am thinking a small ladder like the one I already carry of one of those sliding type might work if I can figure out a place to mount it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Set up your cross steel so it will slide in between them. Similar to Jack's ramp storage boxes. Or, add the pocket steps to the door front.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Another option would be to adopt a couple Russian girls and keep them on retainer to do whatever needs to be done on your deck.

just a thought.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

35 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Another option would be to adopt a couple Russian girls and keep them on retainer to do whatever needs to be done on your deck.

just a thought.....

Howdy All,

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate them.  John, as to adopting a couple of Russian girls to work, dance on the deck, I think that is a very viable solution to the problem as I am kinda gimped up from way to many crashes and other stupid activities over the last 70 years, However I fear such an idea would be met with a great big NYET   👎   from Donna.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

15 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate them.  John, as to adopting a couple of Russian girls to work, dance on the deck, I think that is a very viable solution to the problem as I am kinda gimped up from way to many crashes and other stupid activities over the last 70 years, However I fear such an idea would be met with a great big NYET   👎   from Donna.

Dave

Dang the bad luck....lol

why are wives so serious when it comes to stuff like that?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

4 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Dang the bad luck....lol

why are wives so serious when it comes to stuff like that?

Howdy John,

Well I must admit Donna just kinda ignores all the toys I have but I think she would draw the line at a couple of live ones. 😉

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

We made a single step out of scrap metal that slides into where a bumper pull hitch would go, grant you it is only accessible when in hooked but does work well for me.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

9 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks for the suggestions everyone .....

.....However I fear such an idea would be met with a great big NYET   👎   from Donna.

Dave

Da, eto 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

20 hours ago, rickeieio said:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/2015-f-150-tailgate-step-better-still-oneflaw/

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave!!!!  No update????  Or did you finish it and then take off?

Howdy Rocky,

I am doing the best I can to keep my cool, Kevin is so over loaded with work he hasn't had time to get much more done on my deck, it dosen't help that one of his employees that was working on it was injured when something got into his eye and had to be rushed to the hospital.  I am afraid I'll miss doing this years Black Dog Dual Sport Rally, I had planned on leaving for that on June 1st, and I am now stressing about having everything done in time to do a shake down run before heading to the West Coast HDT Rally, if I miss that I am going to be a seriously un-happy camper.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived