Got a favorite photograph?

Kirk W

6 minutes ago, JimK said:

Thanks, but I have too many other things to do.  I don't get to travel until late July or into August.  Then it will be Yellowstone,  Glacier, Jasper, and on to the Washington coast.

Obviously.... some may miss you.....others won't.

Enjoy your trip.

~

I don't think a single person will miss me anymore than I will give missing the rally a second thought.  I travel to enjoy areas of great beauty and serenity.  I had my years of rendezvous camping when I did blackpowder rifle competition.

I don't compete with photography, but I am trying to move from being a technologist to learning to think and view the world as an artist.  That includes building artistic vision, intent and goals.  That endeavor is very much personal and individual.  I do look for some amount of feedback so I participate in course work, including classes which primarily involve critiques.  I also submit to galleries and juried shows.  The feedback helps me see how others view my work. 

My approach to photography is not different than that of millions of others who strive to achieve with photography or other chosen activities.  Apparently this sort of contest is for "fun" and probably does not apply for anyone serious about their art.  I could be wrong, but I suspect the staff doing the judging knows little about art, does not care to learn, but they know what they like.

If you aren't like JimK but just want to have some fun with some photographs that you enjoy, consider entering the Escapade photo contest. And since JimK isn't going to attend anyway, he would not be allowed to enter if he did want to.  😊

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 minutes ago, Independent Lady said:

I"m a writer, and take that seriously 

why not just leave the guy alone?

no need to answer kirk, just wanted to say that

But did you come on to the thread to bend everyone else to your point of view? Sadly, JimK brought it on himself. If he was not going to attend, and therefore was not eligible anyhow, why bother to stir the pot?

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Independent Lady said:

Hi JimK, I just wanted to tell you I get what you're saying. I'm just finishing up a novel, and looking for an editor which is a nerve wracking experience. I don't want just anybody, but someone who understands the mechanics of writing.

that said, this is just an RV site, and from what I"ve read here, there's no interest in the technical aspect of photography of which you are so well trained.

It's just a fun thing, and maybe it should be further defined as just that, so you're not insulted.

Sometimes we try to explain too much when it's just not worth it,

take care

Barbara 

Barbara, I am a member of a very active Osher Lifelong Learning group.  We have classes and discussion groups on many types of writing.  It is very helpful to have people who can provide feedback and assistance and help with the learning and creative process.  My wife belongs to a couple of groups.  One is primarily for poets.  The other is for those interested in writing books for children.  Previously she belonged to a memoirs group.

I do the same with photography.  In 5 years and after a dozen or so semester long courses, I have yet to take any courses on the technical aspects of photography.  The closest was a course I took several years ago on composition.  I suspect you are looking for an editor who can do more than correct spelling and parse a sentence.  You want someone who understands creativity, storytelling, and capturing a readers attention with something unique and compelling.  Having the staff of a travel club judge the worth of your novel would probably be of little help.

Barbara, thanks. I wont mention the photography contest again.

Maybe next year the Escapees could consider a short story writing contest about some aspect of travel or the RV lifestyle.  They could include the winning stories in the club publication.  Maybe that would be something that would fit your interest and those of a great many other escapade attendees.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:40 PM, JimK said:

Additional explanation:  There are millions of people in the US who spend time learning at least the basics of photography and who try to achieve good results.  There are tens of thousands of photographers who belong to camera clubs, who are trained artists or who have taken courses and studied photography.  It seems to me that having trained jurors is just a basic sign of respect for the work and effort people put into their craft.  It is not difficult or at all expensive to do this.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:23 PM, JimK said:

I am not a professional but I am serious about trying to learn how to express myself and to communicate through photography and now through painting.  I try to learn from artists of the past and from those who have devoted their lives to the visual arts.  Getting a ribbon awarded by a travel club member seems well short of that.  The net result will likely be a handful of people who get ribbons and a whole lot more who are disappointed.

Again, if the club wants to do something of significance with this project, I would recommend they start by finding some experienced jurors. 

On 5/11/2018 at 6:28 PM, JimK said:

I apply to quite a few galleries and juried shows.  In this case I will pass.  I generally like to have my work juried by someone other than the staff of an RV club.  If the club wants to run a serious photo contest, I would recommend they contact a knowledgeable individual who is involved with art and photography.

Eegads man! They are trying to have a little fun here!

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

For those interested, the judges for the photography contest are accomplished, published photographers, each having experience in a number of areas ranging from extremely technical to subtle, impressionist work.

Please join the contest if you'd like to share your photography with the group and have it judged based on its merits.

4 hours ago, brockbr said:

For those interested, the judges for the photography contest are accomplished, published photographers, each having experience in a number of areas ranging from extremely technical to subtle, impressionist work.

Please join the contest if you'd like to share your photography with the group and have it judged based on its merits.

Well, there you have it folks, straight from the source.  Wait a minute, who are you anyway?  ☺️

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived