Rust Rust Rust and more Rust

Vegas Teacher

19 minutes ago, atv_idiot said:

Hey VT... If it makes you feel any better... I'll be torching off the cab shocks this weekend. Not only are the bolts rusted/fused together, but they are also seized in the bushings for the shocks themselves..

That's what I did last weekend. Even the 3/4" gun would not turn it in the shock. I tried a drift and sledgehammer and it still would not drive out. As it was the top one over the tank I could not easily cut the head off. I put a small welding tip on the torch and headed the thread end red hot and then let it sit. Drifted right out with a hammer. You can dose with water when they are red hot and they will loosen even better. Not positive about quenching for the bolt stuck in the bushing but it works good on the nut.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, atv_idiot said:

Hey VT... If it makes you feel any better... I'll be torching off the cab shocks this weekend. Not only are the bolts rusted/fused together, but they are also seized in the bushings for the shocks themselves..

It appears to be part of the passage into Volvohood.  When we preemptively replaced the cab shocks, bags and leveling valve on our truck, prior to final mounting of the bed, the first nut and bolt came off like a breeze.  The next two were stubborn but the remaining nuts required a 1” impact.  Two of the three bolts came out with various amounts of Kroil and sledgeomatic therapy.  The last bolt required a small thermonuclear device, aka plasma therapy.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

27 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

It appears to be part of the passage into Volvohood.  When we preemptively replaced the cab shocks, bags and leveling valve on our truck, prior to final mounting of the bed, the first nut and bolt came off like a breeze.  The next two were stubborn but the remaining nuts required a 1” impact.  Two of the three bolts came out with various amounts of Kroil and sledgeomatic therapy.  The last bolt required a small thermonuclear device, aka plasma therapy.

46 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

That's what I did last weekend. Even the 3/4" gun would not turn it in the shock. I tried a drift and sledgehammer and it still would not drive out. As it was the top one over the tank I could not easily cut the head off. I put a small welding tip on the torch and headed the thread end red hot and then let it sit. Drifted right out with a hammer. You can dose with water when they are red hot and they will loosen even better. Not positive about quenching for the bolt stuck in the bushing but it works good on the nut.

What doesnt help is the 30 gallon play tank of race fuel that's mounted between the frame rails and below the bed... and within 10" of the bolts. I think I may try my air chisel first and work my way up to Liquid Wrench (torches)
With as bad as the shocks look, I highly doubt there is even any oil left in them, so I may have to get a lil "creative" removing them

2 hours ago, atv_idiot said:

What doesnt help is the 30 gallon play tank of race fuel that's mounted between the frame rails and below the bed... and within 10" of the bolts. I think I may try my air chisel first and work my way up to Liquid Wrench (torches)
With as bad as the shocks look, I highly doubt there is even any oil left in them, so I may have to get a lil "creative" removing them

The driver side shock on VT’s truck was seized, it was actually holding the left side near the bottom of it’s travel.

2 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Do you guys have 2 or 4 cab shocks....

4 for us too, on a 2008.  I think the 4 shocks were on older trucks, before they added the torsion rod/damper.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Thanks to the mobile mechanic who I write about in another post he got all of the bolts off and shocks off in under an hour, showed up early called to make sure I was there and did it all without the use of any kind of impact.

See the post I did about the great mechanic in Pahrump if you want more details on this. He was great at what he did.

On May 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM, DesertMiner said:

You guys with the two bag setup are you also changing the “torsion spring”?

Are you referring to what I would call a track bar, I am sure it has a name, between the shocks?  If so unless the bushings are bad or its bent no need in replacing it. It just keeps the cab from moving side,to side  excessively.

5 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Are you referring to what I would call a track bar, I am sure it has a name, between the shocks?  If so unless the bushings are bad or its bent no need in replacing it. It just keeps the cab from moving side,to side  excessively.

That IS a track rod not a torsion spring, it keeps the cab in position.     I have seen some cabs with sway bars as well, these could be considered torsion rods?     

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

55 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

You know a picture is worth a 1000 words and just being able to see what you are talking about makes all the difference in the world! I appreciate the picture a lot, and yes I have wondered about when to replace that too. 

Thanks

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

P.S. I only have to wake up Wednesday and Thursday for 1/2 days of school then Friday is teacher Check out for the summer!

Is your truck going to be ready for a shake down run to the WCR in June????????

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

Is your truck going to be ready for a shake down run to the WCR in June????????

Not even close. Sorry plus I have family and to many plans to make it out. I still don't have my direct link hooked up, and don't see that happening any time soon.

16 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Not even close. Sorry plus I have family and to many plans to make it out. I still don't have my direct link hooked up, and don't see that happening any time soon.

Oh well. Maybe next year.  I will be back in Vegas for NASCAR again next spring.  See you then.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

9 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Oh well. Maybe next year.  I will be back in Vegas for NASCAR again next spring.  See you then.

He could have it ready this weekend but is being a wuss, don’t take that answer Chad......lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

8 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

He could have it ready this weekend but is being a wuss, don’t take that answer Chad......lol

This is meant jokingly........... :wacko::angry::blink:

Flyer is being a smart @$$ again. You know he and Dolly Trolly go out to eat with me and spend 2.5 hours telling me horror stories about all kinds of accidents that happen with these big rigs due to people not knowing what they are doing, driving ways they should not be and telling me how a semi can outrun a 5.0 Liter mustang going up hill pulling a trailer. However now flyer wants me to pull my dash off, hook up a braking system and put the entire public at risk of me driving my semi and crashing it into a soccer mom and her kids on the way to "Wally World" That is what I like to call Walmart. So what is it I am good an capable or dumb as a box of rocks. Look once again this was written to make people laugh, it is not serious and I am also just being a smart @$$ so when you read this take it with a grain of salt. I  know Flyer jokes with me on the forum, I get to see in, many of the social circles we run in with dogs, so I know his ribbing is in good nature like when he says my mechanic sprinkled pixie dust on my truck, what a smart @$$

Later,

V.T. - Cory O

10 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Flyer is being a smart @$$ again. You know he and Dolly Trolly go out to eat with me and spend 2.5 hours telling me horror stories about all kinds of accidents that happen with these big rigs due to people not knowing what they are doing, driving ways they should not be and telling me how a semi can outrun a 5.0 Liter mustang going up hill pulling a trailer. However now flyer wants me to pull my dash off, hook up a braking system and put the entire public at risk of me driving my semi and crashing it into a soccer mom and her kids on the way to "Wally World" That is what I like to call Walmart. So what is it I am good an capable or dumb as a box of rocks. Look once again this was written to make people laugh, it is not serious and I am also just being a smart @$$ so when you read this take it with a grain of salt. I  know Flyer jokes with me on the forum, I get to see in, many of the social circles we run in with dogs, so I know his ribbing is in good nature like when he says my mechanic sprinkled pixie dust on my truck, what a smart @$$

Later,

V.T. - Cory O

Bring it to the rally and I'll wire up the brakes and Jackaloppee.  That way you get work accomplished and learn from others on how too do.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

12 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Later,

V.T. - Cory O

Cory Cory Cory,

While from what I have seen, you are great at your vocation, you suck when it comes to listening so I will put it in writing for you.

Given the fact that you have worked professionally installing car radios, it would seem fair to assume that you would be able to open the dash covers in your truck. 

Further, with the above thought process in place, it would be fair to assume that you would be able to mount the Direct link control unit to the void area behind the left side of your dash and run one red wire from the area of the electrical fuse panel to the Jackalopee, which has already been installed and wired.  Along with a second red wire to the Directlink control unit and a Blue wire from the Directlink control unit to the Jackalopee.

At that point, I told you that I would walk you through and show you how to connnect those three remaining wires and test everything.........

The only thing remaining for you to do, would be to reinstall the dash panels, mount the clip holder for the DirectLink manual control, and hook up your trailer and go for it....

While having a properly installed brake controller is essential, it is not something that is going to be quite as dramatic as you posted, especially with the low weight of your current trailer.

I gave you this task to build your confidence.  I would not have asked you to do it if I did not think you could accomplish the work.  While it is true that you still have a lot to learn about mechanical skillcraft, none of this falls into the area of rocket science.

I know that you wrote your post in jest, but I also see the fear in your eyes, as the saying goes......lol

For everyone else, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program......

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

We fear what we dont understand. I found just digging into something gets me past those fears. It's only $ so when ya F something up, it makes you learn to take your time and double check. I also do my best to research and ask LOTS of questions first

On 5/23/2018 at 7:48 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Bring it to the rally and I'll wire up the brakes and Jackaloppee.  That way you get work accomplished and learn from others on how too do.  

Well, that's worth getting fired up to get to the Rally!!!

I also agree with John, you've got what it takes, just get to it!

Come on Cory. Before you know it, that school bell will be ringing in a couple of months, and then that excuse will be used!  (just funnin)

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived