Directv vs. Dish

SuiteSuccess

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I really don't understand why people want local channels on satellite. I got an antenna for that

That's because you're usually working and staying around cities which have local channels.  Like now, in the Houston area, you probably can get 50-75 local channels over your antenna.  Many of us travel and stay in the country, 100 miles or more from a city.  Most of the places I stay, I'm lucky if I can pick up one local station.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

24 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

That's because you're usually working and staying around cities which have local channels.  Like now, in the Houston area, you probably can get 50-75 local channels over your antenna.  Many of us travel and stay in the country, 100 miles or more from a city.  Most of the places I stay, I'm lucky if I can pick up one local station.

Also don't see the big deal about local stations. I could care less about them.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

21 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Local stations are great way to find local events going on's.  Plus staying in front of the weather is best on local channels.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

As much as I hate to do it, I have to agree with Glenn. We seldom get "locals" in Canada, simply due to how spread out the population is here. If you're 100 miles from town, is that really local. I don't need to see the car crashes, house fires, and local political shenanigans via satellite. If I'm that interested, it's available on the web or radio. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

And some of us feel that way about television in general.  Our last outing, we where on the road 6 weeks, and had tv only the last few days, thanks to wrknrvr.

Umm, that doesn't sound right.  We had no tv until Vern fixed it.  We'd done without (in the camper) for over a year.

Thank heavens we're not all the same.......;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When I refer to "local" stations, I'm not just talking about local news and weather.  Locals include all of CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, MeTV, CW, PBS, etc. progamming.  If I can't get those on an antenna, it's nice to get them on satellite.  If you don't like that programming, then it's not a big deal to you.   JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

15 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I really don't understand why people want local channels on satellite. I got an antenna for that

Because not everyone stays in areas where there is good, or even existing, over-the-air reception. 

For example, where we stay on LTVA land west of Yuma during the winter, the only over-the-air channels we can pull in are the Spanish-language channels, which I assume are coming from Mexico.  Apparently, Pilot Knob blocks our reception of the Yuma channels. 

When traveling, we're usually spending the night out away from any city where over-the-air reception is non-existant.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

One Word....Nascar...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

4 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

LindaH, don't fret over not getting the Yuma channels. Absolutely the worst, no matter where we travel in our opinion.

The only reason we want local over-the-air channels is to watch prime time programming when the wind is too strong to have our Trav'ler up.  Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.  We don't watch local channels for the local news or weather...we can get those online if we're interested.  Unfortunately, although we have a DVR receiver (not a Hopper), we can't watch programs we've recorded unless the dish is up and tuned into the satellites.  That was a real bummer when I found that out because if we have to put the dish down due to wind, it would be nice to watch some of the stuff I've recorded.

With Dish, the Yuma channels only come in SD.  That's why we subscribe to the Tucson channels which we can get all over the state, as far north as Pioche, NV and as far east as Pahrump, NV (although in SD).

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

The only reason we want local over-the-air channels is to watch prime time programming when the wind is too strong to have our Trav'ler up.  Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. 

It's my understanding that the Trav'ler is rated for winds of ~50 mph when deployed and >100 mph when stowed.   We do bring it down during severe thunderstorm alerts but rarely have we stowed it for anything else.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

47 minutes ago, docj said:

It's my understanding that the Trav'ler is rated for winds of ~50 mph when deployed and >100 mph when stowed.   We do bring it down during severe thunderstorm alerts but rarely have we stowed it for anything else.

I will guarantee the Trav'ler will withstand winds of up to 70 mph when deployed for a period of about two hours.  Just guess how I know.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

36 minutes ago, pjstough said:

I will guarantee the Trav'ler will withstand winds of up to 70 mph when deployed for a period of about two hours.  Just guess how I know.

There's another forum participant who can attest to a similar experience but I won't mention his name unless he chooses to admit it! 😁

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

10 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

You must live in Kansas like we do, no wait you must having been driving in Kansas using your dvr. 🤡

Not Kansas.  From Lordsburg, NM to Las Cruces, NM.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

We don't have any type of anemometer in our RV to measure the wind speed at our location, and I'm not sure the wind speeds that show on various weather apps is correct for where our actual location may be, so I probably err on the side of caution and put down the Trav'ler when I can see it moving in the wind.  A lot will depend on the direction of the wind in relationship to the face of the dish, too.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Archived