Directv vs. Dish

SuiteSuccess

Our new (to us) trailer has the Winegard Travlr satellite dish on the roof and came with a Directv receiver.  I know with a kit it can be converted to Dish for less than $300.  Dish allows month by month purchase for us RVers which are not full time but can’t get a straight answer from either Directv or Winegard whether Direct offers a month to month no contract.  Best my research showed was you could possibly suspend Direct service twice during the year but not for longer than 6 months total and must have contract.  Anyone have any info?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Only Dish has Pay-As-You-Go.  You have to purchase the receivers as there is no defined subscription plan to recoup the receiver cost.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Thanks guys.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We've had Dish for 5 years now in the RV's.  Took the original box from the last house.  No issues to really complain about.  When we move and want local channels thru the SAT I call and give them a new service address.  As long I get a USA based customer support person there isn't a problem.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We are full time for 5 years now with Dish.  We get the best results doing an online chat with dish to get a service address change.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

We are full time for 5 years now with Dish.  We get the best results doing an online chat with dish to get a service address change.

Ken

We are also long time Dish customers (10 years) and this way works great for us.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

2 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

We are also long time Dish customers (10 years) and this way works great for us.

9 times out of 10 they get it right.  We do, on occasion have to get back and find out why they did not change our locals.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Back in 2014, when I got my Super-C, I signed up with Dish. Back then, the sales reps had a different playbook than billing had. I got screwed over after billing jumped my rate with no notice. When I called, I was given a runaround. I just canceled and, have never gone back. Get EVERYTHING in writing, even if only in an email so you might have recourse. 

Dish can get regular and HiDef channels on the same satellite dish. I believe Direct TV requires a special satellite dish to pull in HiDef.

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

9 times out of 10 they get it right.  We do, on occasion have to get back and find out why they did not change our locals.

Last time I had to call back about locals, I ended up being transferred to a VERY knowledgeable tech support guy.  He told me the customer support folks have to click "something" (I don't remember what he said ) TWICE to change the locals.  Many of them do not know that and only click it once.  Phoning can be FRUSTRATING.  I use chat whenever I can.

We've been using Dish with a Tailgater receiver for years. The most aggravating thing about it has been the need to call Dish support to get the local channels switched to whatever our current location happens to be. Well Bunky, that's all over. They just rolled out a re-authorization function (if you haven't used the receiver for a month or so or have moved) on their "MyDish.com" website and now they have added the ability to change location by just changing the location zip code. Eliminates about 90% of the issues.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

You supposedly can change your locals on the MyDish App on the phone. It is something new. But mine would not work and after the techs ran it down it seems that if you have 'Leased Receiver' you do not get that option. I have an 8 year old receiver that does both of our TV's and they say they can't mark it as 'Purchased'. But them will send me 2 new receivers marked as 'Purchased'. This is 2 much fooling around and I don't want to put in 2 receivers instead of one just so I can change my own locals. They also keep sending me surveys so I'll bring up 'Grandfathering' old receivers the next time.

Carl when I bought the current rig it came with a Winegard Traveler. I had Direct and when the dish went up it said Dish on it. I called Winegard and was told there were several things that had to be done and the cheapest and easiest thing to do was change providers.So I did and that is how I got Dish.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad,

I have to change the reflector and collector hardware on the roof to Dish. Cost about $300. Also change receiver inside coach. So happens I have one already so no cost. Like you would be much easy if I could just stay with my coach equipment (Directv) but they obviously aren’t interested in having a Pay As You Go program like Dish. Maybe they’ll come around. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

3 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Suite....when are you going to share some pixs and info on the "new to you" trailer?

2017 DRV Mobile Suites 39 DBRS3 with vanity slide.  Was ordered by a couple wanting to try 5er after  always having Class A. Equipped with Satellite, 3.5kw gen, LevelUp, MorRyde IS, disk brakes, two powered awnings and few more goodies wife wanted like induction cooktop, two door residential fridge, dishwasher. They used three times, didn’t like fifth wheel and went back to motor home.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

35 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

2017 DRV Mobile Suites 39 DBRS3 with vanity slide.  Was ordered by a couple wanting to try 5er after  always having Class A. Equipped with Satellite, 3.5kw gen, LevelUp, MorRyde IS, disk brakes, two powered awnings and few more goodies wife wanted like induction cooktop, two door residential fridge, dishwasher. They used three times, didn’t like fifth wheel and went back to motor home.

RV's For Less?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

23 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

RV's For Less?

Yes

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

51 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Did you get to keep the paint scheme from the old trailer?  Sure was purdy.......

Haha.  Unfortunately not. Still kind of matches the truck, but mommas happy and that sums it up. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl we have direct in our home and just use one of the home receivers in the camper.  No additional charge. We don't seem to be able to get our local stations when traveling.  If I didn't have Direct at home, I wouuld probably go with Dish.            Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

50 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Carl we have direct in our home and just use one of the home receivers in the camper.  No additional charge. We don't seem to be able to get our local stations when traveling.  If I didn't have Direct at home, I wouuld probably go with Dish.            Charlie

Unless you get a separate subscription, you can't receive Locals in your RV and at Home at the same time.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

48 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Charlie,

We use a Roku at home and stream live TV via PlayStation so don’t have that option.  Looks like my only choice is contract with Directv or change equipment and use Dish Pay As You Go.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived