NEWPOWA Solar Panels

I've bought a 175 watt mono solar panel on Amazon made by NEWPOWA.  I should be getting it later this week, by 5/11/18. I could pass up the price, $299, w/ free shipping from CA. It was only after creatingthe order that I started wondering about the free shipping aspect.  I've been doing the research and design of this solar install for too long, and in my frustration at completing this project I did not do research on NEWPOWA before buying.  But, buying through Amizon I didn't feel I would have any problems returning it, if I need to.  So,  I'm doing my research now.   Has anyone had any experience with NEWPOWA solar panels?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I think he meant $199... which ain't too shabby, delivered, and with Amazon's no hassle returns/replacements for a bit of peace of mind. I would say "good trade".

As for the panels themselves, I don't have any personal experience with that brand, but the specs seem ok for the price range. I didn't look up some of the more particulars (not included on their Amazon listing), and they don't seem to have any information about the glass so I would assume "standard import".

Efficiency is a bit low but on the "higher average" for that class of panel. Looks like they don't grade or "match" cells so it's hard to tell if the ratings are "actual" or "theoretical", but again, in that class that's pretty par for the course. "High efficiency" labels can either mean watts per sq. inch or actual cell effeciency. In this case, it appears to be watts per sq. in., but that's not exactly a bad thing either.

The nutshell, IMHO: Pretty fair buy. Small form factor which is great in our world and I'm sure you'll get your money's worth out of em.

*Wouldn't hurt to stick a meter on the pigtails before you go to mount it. If you're doing multiples then you want to check for output variations between the panels.

Dan, I don't have any experience with that brand. Since I buy panels near where I live (An AMISH store believe it or not, Wagler Energy Solutions in Odon, Indiana) 39" x 64"  275 Watt for 90 cents per watt cash n carry out the door to my pickup I don't have to deal with Amazon or Flea Bay etc.

When they arrive hook them up, set them in the  sun, hang a load and meter on them and see how they perform. That's about all you can do for now it looks like.

Good luck with them let us know.  I bet they will be okay, maybe not the best, probably not the worst, maybe they are Ford or Chevrolet instead of a Cadillac, but I'm fine with that myself.

Best wishes n God Bless

John T

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

Dan, I don't have any experience with that brand. Since I buy panels near where I live (An AMISH store believe it or not, Wagler Energy Solutions in Odon, Indiana) 39" x 64"  275 Watt for 90 cents per watt cash n carry out the door to my pickup I don't have to deal with Amazon or Flea Bay etc.

When they arrive hook them up, set them in the  sun, hang a load and meter on them and see how they perform. That's about all you can do for now it looks like.

Good luck with them let us know.  I bet they will be okay, maybe not the best, probably not the worst, maybe they are Ford or Chevrolet instead of a Cadillac, but I'm fine with that myself.

Thank you John, I will probably go the larger grid-tie panels with my next rig, which will prbably be a 32'. 

I started this new topic, as I didn't think the other topic would attract those who might have had expereince with NEWPOWA.  I was going to buy the 305w Canadian Solar, but after looking at their size and my space, and reading what others were saying, I realized the size WAS too much for my roof. Of course, when bigbillsd mentioned you could buy a pair of 158w DM Solar panels on Amazon for $268 I jumped. Sadly, with the raise in tarrif DM Solar was no longer selling them, which I did not find out until 5 days later when I called to find out when they woudl be delivered. Then I found the NEWPOWA panels and after all this time I decided to try them.

I'm only buying one panel, as I realize I only need it for LED lights, operating a 70w laptop, and charging my cell phone. I finally realized, this is my first solar install, why do I need 300 watts. I've been using a $40, 200 watt inverter I bought at Walmart for the past 4-years (when I was vanning, and the past year in this RV) so I don't even need to install an inverter at this point. I will most likely be sellng this RV and moving to a larger one after I go full-time, so don't need all that I was planning on. Many have said, "if you spend a lot on solar you can take it to the next rig, as you won't get your money back when you sell/trade." 

For those planning on doing their first solar, I cannot emphasis enough how valuable it is to do a thorough planning of first your real needs, then your wants, and finally design how it will all fit in/on your rig. I think I will quote Jack Mayer, "the design phase is the most critical."  

I need to Thank everyone, as this has been a great learning experience (and will continue to be).

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Thanks for the updates Dan. I agree once you know your needs and even allow a bit for future expansion, there's no need in building a system like double your requirements, especially if you're not gonna keep that RV for years n years. Id guess what you ordered will suit you just fine. One practical lesson I recently learned, even though I knew it in theory already, was when I parked in a deep forest with 100% tree canopy and maybe even raining all day to boot,  solar harvest is greatly reduced WELL DUH. I say that because it should be a consideration when planning your system. After that experience I'm adding yet one more panel (all the room I have left) to my roof in the next week or so, even though I may only need it limited times, that's just how I'm "wired" lol   

John T

5 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Thanks for the updates Dan. I agree once you know your needs and even allow a bit for future expansion, there's no need in building a system like double your requirements, especially if you're not gonna keep that RV for years n years. Id guess what you ordered will suit you just fine. One practical lesson I recently learned, even though I knew it in theory already, was when I parked in a deep forest with 100% tree canopy and maybe even raining all day to boot,  solar harvest is greatly reduced WELL DUH. I say that because it should be a consideration when planning your system. After that experience I'm adding yet one more panel (all the room I have left) to my roof in the next week or so, even though I may only need it limited times, that's just how I'm "wired" lol   

John T

How will one more panel help in the situation you described?  Is it the ability to harvest just a little more amperage from what twilight you are able to get?

13 hours ago, Yarome said:

Efficiency is a bit low but on the "higher average" for that class of panel. Looks like they don't grade or "match" cells so it's hard to tell if the ratings are "actual" or "theoretical", but again, in that class that's pretty par for the course. "High efficiency" labels can either mean watts per sq. inch or actual cell effeciency. In this case, it appears to be watts per sq. in., but that's not exactly a bad thing either.

Some good points, Yarome. Can I ask where you found "Efficiancy is a bit low for that class of panel",  and if they do or don't grade or match cells?  I'm asking, as these are good points to know for future purchases.

4 hours ago, gypsydan said:

How will one more panel help in the situation you described?  Is it the ability to harvest just a little more amperage from what twilight you are able to get?

Well I ONLY have room for one more (275 or so more watts) on the roof and its just enough I may be able to keep up under a tree canopy on a rainy day. I was still close before so an extra panel may just bring me in ??? Out in the open on a normal day I can reach 100% SOC maybe by 10 AM but nottttttttttttttttttt under full trees and clouds and rain grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr You still harvest SOME energy even in rain and trees ya know.

John T

I've been eyeing those Newpowa since the DM solar started showing them unavailable and they went down about $10 since I stuck them on the wishlist last week.  I will be interested to hear what you think of them.  They have some good specs.   

I ordered a couple 100 watt grapes from Home Depot yesterday and they are supposed to arrive today although its getting a bit late.  $89 each.  I intend to make them into a portable rig with hinges and a handle.   I wanted the Zamp 200 watt portable, but $900 was a bit over the top for me.   

I'm scoping out cabling to make it a simple setup and knock down.  Until I see them I'm guessing I will need to beef up the frame a bit.  -Bill 

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

6 hours ago, gypsydan said:

Can I ask where you found "Efficiancy is a bit low for that class of panel",  and if they do or don't grade or match cells?

To clarify... I didn't say they were "low for that class of panel". Just that efficiency was a bit low considering they were billing them as "high-efficiency", but also stated that they were in the "higher average" for their (apparent) class.

From responses to questions from the Seller "Newpowa America Inc.". 

Q: What is the efficiency of this panel?
A: About 16-17%.

*15-17% being "average" and 20-22%+ being considered more in the "high-efficiency" range in the current market. Some panels on the market might only hit 11-13%.

Q: What is the grade of solar cells?
A: ...some manufacture may spearate solar cells with grade A,B,C etc; which we think its unneccessary since we never manufture anything with cheap cells.

*Even the highest quality cells will have variations from batch to batch and the mfg. process. That's how you end up with "classes" of panels within any specific brand... or a specific mfg. supplying multiple class distributors.

That was just an ad hoc "discovery" from only the Amazon listing, however, that type of information can typically be found on reputable panel mfg's. pages as well as degredation and component specs and others. Often, that information is "assumed". Meaning... if they only offer one class of panels and don't specifically state otherwise, it's "assumed" they don't grade or match cells in their panels. If not stated otherwise... it's "assumed" it is simple single ply glass of unknown clarity/quality, etc.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, Yarome said:

To clarify... I didn't say they were "low for that class of panel". Just that efficiency was a bit low considering they were billing them as "high-efficiency", but also stated that they were in the "higher average" for their (apparent) class.

From responses to questions from the Seller "Newpowa America Inc.". 

Q: What is the efficiency of this panel?
A: About 16-17%.

*15-17% being "average" and 20-22%+ being considered more in the "high-efficiency" range in the current market. Some panels on the market might only hit 11-13%.

Q: What is the grade of solar cells?
A: ...some manufacture may spearate solar cells with grade A,B,C etc; which we think its unneccessary since we never manufture anything with cheap cells.

*Even the highest quality cells will have variations from batch to batch and the mfg. process. That's how you end up with "classes" of panels within any specific brand... or a specific mfg. supplying multiple class distributors.

That was just an ad hoc "discovery" from only the Amazon listing, however, that type of information can typically be found on reputable panel mfg's. pages as well as degredation and component specs and others. Often, that information is "assumed". Meaning... if they only offer one class of panels and don't specifically state otherwise, it's "assumed" they don't grade or match cells in their panels. If not stated otherwise... it's "assumed" it is simple single ply glass of unknown clarity/quality, etc.

Thank you.  Just beginning my sojourn into solar, the aspects you mentioned are what I need to know, so I can make better choices in the future.

I recieved the panel from NEWPOWA and will write more next week after I've been able to look at some other panels at a local solar store, to make a comparison.

I opened up the new panels yesterday.  They look really good.  Very heavy duty.  I was thinking they would be fairly flimsy for the $89 price.  But I was pleasantly surprised how heavy duty the frames seem.   I won't need to beef them up to mount legs on them.   BTW,  I caved and bought a small MPPT controller.  Victron 75/15 With Bluetooth Controller.     I really wanted a controller with Bluetooth, none of the PWM's i was looking at have that option.  I'm done pulling cables thru the coach!  

I have a Bluetooth Sealevel and LevelMate Pro  already so I can look them up on my phones or tablets.    

If you don't need the Bluetooth they are only $88 for a 15 AMP unit.  I will hook the panels in series 36v 6 amp so the cabling will have less than 1% voltage drop prior to getting to the controller mounted inside next to my inverter.   Now I am wondering about the vendors that mount the controller on the panels.  That is ripe for higher voltage drop due to the 12/14v and higher amperage coming out of that controller on a long cable.  I will be doing 36 volts and lower amperage on the long cable.  The controller to the batteries will be mostly on the 4/0 cables going to the batteries from the inverter.

-Bill  

Now I just need to bolt them together and wire them up.   I won't actually see the controller till Tuesday. 

S&B San Diego

On 5/13/2018 at 3:16 PM, bigbillsd said:

I opened up the new panels yesterday.  They look really good.  Very heavy duty. 

GS puts out some decent panels and have never hesitated to recommend them. Even on their "imports".. they actually mfg. panels, known their business and are pretty picky about what they put their name on. Best of all... they are honest on their ratings. What it says on the sticker is what you'll get.

If you picked them up for $89... that's an excellent deal!

Yes HD appears to have them on sale the first week of the last couple months.  I missed it last month and saw it again on Slickdeals a couple weeks ago and pulled the trigger.   I just finished mounting the controller all the breakers and its wired up to the batteries.  I installed a quick connect on the coach and the extension for the panel side with the MC4's tested.    The panels have the legs installed,  I need to change how i secured them so the legs won't collapse back as they don't open far enough.  I made the first chain installed it and realized the legs were 90 degrees to the ground,  they need move further out to give it more stability.  

I tested the panels and controller to make sure it worked.  I love the controllers Bluetooth app.  It's very well done! 

I was going to upload a couple pics but I appear to have very limited 100kb limitation.  Kind of the size of an icon or similar.    Geez, a screen shot from my phone is 138kb, to big too.

I guess I will post them on the blog when I finish up tomorrow.   I sure wish there was some sun..  Its always sunny in San Diego, but the last few days, zilch sun. 

-Bill

S&B San Diego

On 5/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, bigbillsd said:

I was going to upload a couple pics but I appear to have very limited 100kb limitation.  Kind of the size of an icon or similar.    Geez, a screen shot from my phone is 138kb, to big too.

You can use one of these free programs to reduce the picture size: irfanview.com -- faststone.org (FastStone Image Viewer)

On 5/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, bigbillsd said:

18 hours ago, gypsydan said:

You can use one of these free programs to reduce the picture size: irfanview.com -- faststone.org (FastStone Image Viewer)

15 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

or you can use Paint, already on your windows  computer.

Or you can get a URL for your pictures to place in a post that embeds the picture where you want it regardless of size by using this site.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Simply drag a photo into the box or browse to the photo you want to post and the sight will give you a URL for the photo you can copy and paste into any post here to get the picture to show.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Understood,  I am an IT guy, I was just saying that size limit seems a bit overzealous for the real world these days.   Geez,  Google gives you 15 GB of space for free..   Amazon offline storage is .004 cents a GB. 

138k is very small... but the 100kb picture limit is just crazy in my opinion.  I am getting off my soap box now..  -Bill

S&B San Diego

4 hours ago, Tom_M said:

Here's a portable 200 watt system selling on Amazon for $249.99:

I saw that but still built my own.   I have about $350 into it, but mine has legs.  That fabric covering seems like it will be a problem fairly quickly.    Plus I was getting 210 watts from my 200 watt panels the other day in full sun. 

The best part of that dokio is they say you don't need a battery anymore..  LOL.  Can you say fried electronic devices...

S&B San Diego

5 hours ago, Tom_M said:

Here's a portable 200 watt system selling on Amazon for $249.99:

I would probably stay clear. Seems a common complaint is no where near the rated output (some reported less than half in full sun). What get's me is that a USB 5v plug on the controller doesn't equate to an "inverter", and "no battery required" would only apply if charging a small device via the USB port (ie., a phone battery). Output from a solar panel is not constant. Clouds (and the sun for that matter) have a tendancy to move so powering an actual 12v device directly would be problematic. Hence, the need for a battery for constant regulated output.

As a small device charger via the USB port that only requires, maybe, 2.5amps would probably be doable. However, that's a pretty expensive solution where it's probably more practical to use a portable battery bank (charged from shore power or a house bank). They slip in your pocket, weight next to nothing and can be had for $20.

It may also work as a trickle charger for battery storage, however, a $90 100watt panel would work just as well. Just my plug nickels worth. 😉

• 1 month later...

Archived