Cochiti Pueblo - Cochiti Lake - Peña Blanca, NM

drzcharlie

My wife and I continue our travels in New Mexico. We recently visited "Kasha-Kutuwe Tent Rocks National Monument."  I have completed a blog entry about the monument and you can find it HERE (Photo Rich). (Mods - please note* this is a NON-monetized blog. We don't make a dime from it.)

P1010560-XL.jpg

Brought back memories.... Tent Rock is a fun place to explore and Cochiti campground a great place to stay. It's also good for a day trip to Santa Fe.  Since no one was there at the office I'm thinking it's because it's not 'in season' yet.  If that's the case one could just drive in and park on a site that's not tagged for a reservation. No need to make reservations off-season.  Thanks for the post!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

19 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

...one could just drive in and park on a site that's not tagged for a reservation. No need to make reservations off-season...

We have stayed at the Cochiti Campground a number of times. I just looked at reservation.gov and the reservation window appears to be four days. So, if you take a reservation site as a walk in and are planning to stay more than four days, best check the reservation system or you may have to move. Even when the electric/water sites are full as they are before, during and after the Balloon Fiesta; I have never seen the dry camping loops full. There is another campground, Tetilla Peak, on the East side of the lake that has some electric/water sites. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cochiti Lake is where we like to kayak, and just took our new to us motorhome.  Tetilla Peak (east side) is where the boat ramp is and there is cliff diving just a short walk north of the boat dock.  Great spot and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe!

1 hour ago, HobbsCoach said:

...Tetilla Peak (east side) is where the boat ramp is and there is cliff diving just a short walk north of the boat dock.  Great spot and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe!...

Unless it has been closed since we were there last October, there is also a boat ramp on the West side of the Lake. It is before the campground entrance station down the hill from the visitor's center. I know distances are viewed differently in the West but the Cochiti and Tetilla Peaks campgrounds are 35 miles from downtown Santa Fe and 47 miles from the balloon fiesta park in Albuquerque.

11 hours ago, HobbsCoach said:

Cochiti Lake is where we like to kayak, and just took our new to us motorhome.  Tetilla Peak (east side) is where the boat ramp is and there is cliff diving just a short walk north of the boat dock.  Great spot and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe!

Never, Never dive from the cliff. There could be floating logs in the water. In the past I have seen the lake full of logs after a heavy rain. I have camped there for over 20 years and worked as the campground attendant for 2 years.  Never dive from the cliff.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Archived