Sailun S637 215/75-17.5 or Cooper Roadmaster 215/75-17.5 Opinions

RickS

Rick,

Have not personally tried either but have heard and read pretty good reviews about the Sailuns.  Friends of ours tried the Coopers and were not impressed.  Tread wore quickly.  I always used Goodyear G114s, but on the trailer we just traded, I ran Hankook and really liked them.  I thought they ran smoother than the 114s and were cheaper.  Also my long time tire dealer said Hankook would reimburse trailer damage like Goodyear if there was a blowout and the tire had not been abused.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Upgraded from last year's National Rally to the Sailuns. Even with the trailer wildly out of alignment, there was no real ugly wear in the 500 or so miles I had to tow in that condition. Note that as we were finishing a fairly long trip, we reached a point where we were replacing one of the original brand and size tires (chinese 16") about ever 600 miles. Sailuns don't even show wear at 3500 miles. These are essentially truck tires, 16 ply, rated for 70 or 75 mph (don't remember off hand) and for well over what you would use for weight rating on an RV. The guy I got mine from mounted 6 of 'em up, put 'em on a pallet, along with the shiny new aluminum rims and chrome (8 per) lug nuts. Shipped out freight paid to my local address. Could not have been easier and he was still cheaper than most places I found.

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN THIS MAN'S BUSINESS IN ANY SHAPE, MANNER, OR FORM. 

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I upgraded to the Sailuns on my last trailer when I went to 17.5 wheels.  I was very happy with them and had no issues over the year and a half or so I had the trailer with those tires.  The new owner of the trailer is still going strong on those same wheels and tires another year and a half later.  I can easily recommend them.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Have yet to hear of a single S637 failure to date. Have them on our rv and been selling them for the past 3+ years. Hard to cough up for Michelins when they age out before they wear out!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I ran the cooper 215/75/17.5 RM170's on my 23000# triaxle race car trailer.  Couldn't have been happier.  I upgraded from 16" goodyear that I literally blew one every trip and always carried two spares.  Two seasons, 15k miles, on the 17.5's and I literally never even had to add air (using tmps) and could see negligible treadwear.  Spare never hit the ground once.  Would run them again in a heartbeat.  Best money I ever spent on a trailer.

I'm another fan of the Saliuns s637's. I'm running them in the 235/80-16 size on a 20k triple axle toy hauler. I have 10k+ miles in the past year and they don't show any wear on them. I'm very happy with them. I regularly run 72mph on them also (speed rated 75mph) 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Walmart has some strict rules when it comes to tires. No common sense just book smart rules only. I think  the lawyers got to the shop.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Their machines can do hub centric and lug centric. They just need to use the proper adapter and they don’t train them for that. I run Goodyear G114.i have had problems with them pealing the tread. I reduced my psi from the indicated 125 for my weight to 120 and have not had any more episodes. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Hi RickS, 

I borrowed a neighbour's dump trailer one time - towing with the won ton - gggoo o oing d d d d d d d o o oown nn the rrrr oad  e e e e empty with one tire so out of balance you almost could slop your Tim's outta the cup... 

stopped at tire shop 1 - tire guy out on the pad - "We don't usually balance trailer tires when we..."  "OK says I."

stopped at tire shop 2 - " Ya we can look at that." "I sez suspect driver side" "Ok let's lift that side first".  Rims were nice and clean. One tire so far outta balance the tire heavy spot would rotate to the bottom by itself.  A few ounces of lead and a jiggle free ride. 

Over here in AB east side flyover country lots of people are running Sailun drive and trailer tires in oilfield production work and liking them and the product support.  

In lieu of balancing the tire and wheel itself have a boo at installing Centramatic balancers while you have the wheels off... they balance the whole rotating assembly. 

I use them on the won ton and they work well - as in you get some gravel road mud dried in one side of the rim the wheels stay in balance.

Over

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I have replaced a lot of suspension parts on trailer that were obviously damaged by the repetitive bouncing of unbalanced tires and not having shocks to damp the vib, things go away pretty fast. Quick static balancing is standard procedure with every bearing pack that come into the shop. I also check the balance of the larger drums on the older pickups when replacing. Just caught one that was almost 4oz out!

You are right about most tires shops not having qualified help to operate the machines. No point in using the center cone on a lug centric wheel as the Chinese wheels these days are so untrue. Heck, even the lug holes aren't really centered in the wheel most of the time!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived