Garmin RV770LMTS vs. Garmin dezl770LMTHD

lockmup68

Years ago, I pre-ordered a Rand McNally 7710RVND. Once it arrived (months later than promised) it was CRAP. Bad hardware, bad software (especially for Mac OS users) and, on multiple occasions, tried to route me onto PARKWAYS in NY (where clearances can be LESS THAN 8'). My Super-C "infotainment system" came preloaded with RM720 software (which IS an improvement BUT, I still would NOT buy or recommend RM). I have a Garmin dezl560 too. I like that better than the RM offerings BUT, as an RVer, I can NOT enter the amount of propane I have (I can only enter "Hazardous Gasses"). I have Copilot Truck HD hardware on my iPad. Again, like the Garmin, Copilot is targeted towards commercial trucks. Copilot has come out with an RV GPS but, LARGE RVs (length and/or weight) are NOT covered. Bottom line; still NO "ideal" GPS for RVs, especially large RVs. 

I think the RV model needs you to connect you phone to it to get live traffic updates.

We just bought a dezl at a TA which had a rebate.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

32 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

I think the RV model needs you to connect you phone to it to get live traffic updates.

We just bought a dezl at a TA which had a rebate.

No - it has a receiver built in to the power cable. No phone connection necessary.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

15 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

Years ago, I pre-ordered a Rand McNally 7710RVND. Once it arrived (months later than promised) it was CRAP. Bad hardware, bad software (especially for Mac OS users) and, on multiple occasions, tried to route me onto PARKWAYS in NY (where clearances can be LESS THAN 8'). My Super-C "infotainment system" came preloaded with RM720 software (which IS an improvement BUT, I still would NOT buy or recommend RM). I have a Garmin dezl560 too. I like that better than the RM offerings BUT, as an RVer, I can NOT enter the amount of propane I have (I can only enter "Hazardous Gasses"). I have Copilot Truck HD hardware on my iPad. Again, like the Garmin, Copilot is targeted towards commercial trucks. Copilot has come out with an RV GPS but, LARGE RVs (length and/or weight) are NOT covered. Bottom line; still NO "ideal" GPS for RVs, especially large RVs. 

Well, don't understand your con about the CoPolit. yes, it for  big trucks and long trailers. Isn't that what we have? It gets me where I want to go and keeps me off streets I should not be on.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

About 5 or 7 years ago we were heading down I95 going through Baltimore and at the time we were not using an "RV" GPS.  When pre-planning the days travel I noticed the tunnel going under the bay.  Didn't know anything about it (size, restrictions...) so I called them and was told it was plenty big enough for big rigs, but we were not allowed to go through because we carried more the two gallons of propane.

The moral of the story, even a truck GPS would not have re-routed us (unless it has a hazmat setting).  Shortly after that we purchased an RV GPS and have been using it ever since.

As a side note, it's a Rand McNally 7720RVND.  It's OK, but now that Garmin has an RV model, we are looking at switching back.

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

5 minutes ago, Roger & Margaret said:

As a side note, it's a Rand McNally 7720RVND.  It's OK, but now that Garmin has an RV model, we are looking at switching back.

We have one of those.  It's the only GPS we've owned, other than phone or iPad.  I dis-like it.  It's cumbersome to use and has hosed us many times.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

12 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

We have one of those.  It's the only GPS we've owned, other than phone or iPad.  I dis-like it.  It's cumbersome to use and has hosed us many times.

We used to use a Garmin and liked it much better than the Rand McNally.  And now that Garmin has an RV version...

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

I also have the Rand McNally.  Will be following this thread.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Garmin RV770LMTS vs. Garmin dezl770LMTHD  ??  Both have some bad reviews on Amazon.  We have to be careful with our Garmin.  For example, in Chicago, it took us off the freeway and then back on because the freeway went around a hill and stayed on the flat but the hill route appeared shorter on a flat map. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I have pretty good luck with google maps on my phone. Except when I don't have service. It even routes us around accidents.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I just purchased the Garman RV 770. Have only used it for one trip so far. You can program the height of your RV as well as if you have propane and it will route you away from low overpasses and tunnels. It can also be programmed to avoid toll roads. It has Bluetooth to connect to your phone for calls and will even show text messages on the screen. When connected to your phone it will give you live traffic alerts and weather alerts.  It has hands free voice command. Besides finding nearby fuel stops, and campgrounds it can search for dump stations and repair facilities. I don’t think the truck version can do all this. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We use the Garmin 760 DSL (sic) Truck version. We can set the weight, height, length, what avoidances to pay attention to and which to ignore. Lots of stuff.  Cons are that if you're, for example, over length a bit, it will not forgive that even if you know that truck travel that route everyday. Finally figured out that setting the length to 64' instead of the actual 68' avoids most of that. Make sure you don't have some kind of avoidance set that isn't really needed because it will route you way out of the way to avoid it. It'll throw an extra 100 miles in there and not even blink. The other thing about the garmin units is that once you have a route established and are following that, retouting in the middle of the current route is a PITA to the point of just stop and do the route over if you have any particular waypoints you want to hit.

We like the GPS for the big picture, but the phone is easier to fool with if you're in traffic or finding something nearby.

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived