Check valve?

Filled up the freshwater tank today in prep for an outing.  Turned on the pump to check out the system/sanitize it.  Got water everywhere we are supposed to with one exception.  With the pump running, water is blowing out the city water connection.  There is a hard rubber plug in it but it blows it out.  I followed the city water line as much as I could, there is no valve to shut the line off preventing it from back flowing out the city water hose connection.  It looks like the line goes in and connects to camper water supply right after the on board pump.  Is there supposed to be a check valve or shut-off valve before the pump?  There isn't one.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

You may be able to free up the water inlet check valve by removing the filter screen if it has one, and using a pencil eraser to push in on the center of the valve slightly and letting it snap closed again to reseat it. If doing that a couple of times does not fix it, then the internal o-ring may have been dislodged. Sometimes they can be worked back into place with a small dental pick and a lot of patience. Otherwise the inlet assembly will need to be replaced, something that's neither expensive or hard to do. A quick fix to get you going is to grab a screw on male hose plug or an inline hose shut off valve at a garden supply store, Walmart, etc. Even one of the 'Y' hose connectors can be used as a temporary shut off.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thank-you.  I will try to clean it.  If not, I need to to town sometime this week anywayz.  🙂

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

What you have should look pretty much like this picture.

31FwIMc38mL._AC_UL130_.jpg                                                        31DsYBfcfXL._AC_US160_.jpg

The check valve is a part of it and you can get a replacement from Amazon or most any RV supply store or dealer. If you don't have the time to fix it right now, just get one of these from the hardware store. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've had a few of those that weren't sealing (fresh water pump forced water out) that I got working again using my rubber tipped air compressor blow gun to gently clear out debris and/or use a small thin padded punch type tool to bump the valve back in and (often) it comes back out and seals. If it still leaks any RV shop should have a replacement in stock and its not rocket science to replace them, or simply plug it off in the meantime.  

Piece of cake, wish they were all this easy.....

John T

I seem to have a similar issue.  In my case it is preventing fresh water from entering the RV.  Looking in the nylon "nipple" is loose and laying to the side. I used to stand out straight.  My fresh water inlet is incorporated into a rectangular panel that has the fresh water tank fill built in. I hope there is enough slack in the tubing conneting it to the tank to change it from the outside because accessing it from the inside won't be easy.  The check valve seemed to be pressure loaded by a spring or something similar when it was functioning properly.

11 hours ago, bigjim said:

I seem to have a similar issue.  In my case it is preventing fresh water from entering the RV. 

Probably the spring has broken. That is a common cause of failure of them. In most cases, there is some slack designed into the connecting lines. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

43 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

In most cases, there is some slack designed into the connecting lines. 

That sounds good.  Here's hoping that you are correct in my case.  With over 20 years of hard use I will try not to grumble too much.

Archived